Taming Google Chrome

Started by Sean Dendle, May 01, 2016, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Dendle

I find Google Chrome in a Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Services/Citrix environment can consume a lot of resources when left as Normal Priority. As a result, this affects the experience of other users sharing the same server. Can Process Lasso still be configured to set Chrome to run with a default priority of Below normal even if it's on the exclusion list within Pro Balance?

I’ve read your other post about Google Chrome manages its own priorities and as a result Process Lasso doesn’t manage Chrome however I’m not sure Chrome is RDS aware enough to know how high CPU usage is affecting other users. (https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0 and http://processlasso.blogspot.com.au/2009/12/chromes-smart-priority-adjustments.html)

I find some of the time the cause of high CPU usage with Chrome (and other browsers) is sloppy coding of a website however I'm hoping something like this will mean that it doesn't impact the other users experience on the same/shared server.

BenYeeHua

I just tested on my Win 10 laptop, it(changing the default priority) did working with added into ProBalance exclusion list manually.
Even without adding into the exclusion list manually, it did getting restraint by ProBalance, based on the Log and all Chrome's processes priority at that time.

So I guess it is removed from the default hidden exclusion list? :)
----
And I also tested awhile, as Chrome own smart priority will set it back to Normal, after you set the default priority, you should also tick the "More strictly enforce default priorities" or "Force Mode", which reapply the default priority again and again.

edkiefer

Yes, As BenYeeHua mentioned/tested, it should work for manually setting priority even if ProBalance is excluded that process. Probalance is auto priority according to CPU %.
So manually setting should override it.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The ProBalance exclusions don't affect default process priorities or CPU affinities, so you could run all instances of Chrome at Below Normal. As Ed said, you may need to enable 'Forced mode' if you do this.

However, forcing chrome to always be Below Normal may impact user experience.

You could disable the 'Ignore foreground process' ProBalance option and let ProBalance act on chrome.exe more aggressively, so at least it's not always running at Below Normal.

Another option is to reduce the CPU affinity of chrome, limiting it to a subset of available cores, so that some processing power remains for other purposes. ProBalance also can change CPU affinities when it acts, configurable in the advanced ProBalance settings.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.