v3.16 CPU usage??

Started by x16wda, October 10, 2008, 10:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

x16wda

Just updated to 3.16, and the ProcessGovernor process continually is using about 50% of the cpu.  After an hour or two of this I went back to 3.14 and the usage is more like what I would expect, basically idling up to 12% or so for brief periods.

Anyone else see this?

Jeremy Collake

That is strange because the ONLY difference in the governor (and really overall) between v3.14 and v3.16 is that I added digital signing. I just did some more testing and haven't seen any troubles, but will continue testing to be safe. I suggest you try reinstalling v3.16 again and see if it wasn't some temporary hiccup or display error.

On other matters, the governor uses an almost unmeasurable amount of CPU time on my very modest systems (never reaching 1%). To see it at 12% anywhere makes me have to ask .. what CPU have you got? It must be an old one. It should never be at 12%, or anywhere close to that.. excluding the first second after starting maybe. Or perhaps you have an extremely large set of disallowed processes, default priorities/affinities, or something.. I would love to find out why it is so high in your case, and help if possible.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

sst

Hi, ...

I have v.3.16 x64 = 1 Cpu core AMD Turion 64 Mobile.

I have = Windows Vista Ultimate FrenchCanadian, x64 SP1, HP DV8305ca Laptop, 1 Cpu core AMD Turion 64 Mobile, [2 Gig. DDR1 333 Ram], [UAC Disabled], [WindowsDefender x64 enabled], [ReadyBoost = [2gig on a "SecureDigital Highspeed(C2)"], [Vista Ultimate Estimated Score of = 3.0].

[UAC Disabled]
---

The "ProcessLasso.exe x64", task [take 5% to 25%] "cpu average 0.21%" = I see that, in Process lasso software.

= I will try the "ProcessLasso v3.16, x86 version", in Vista x64 Ultimate SP1.
---

No other thing found, ...

-------
Sylvain
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Translator of Process Lasso = French [Canada-Québec].
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Final Build 7600

Jeremy Collake

Yes, the GUI is almost entirely inactive when it isn't visible, so the historical average CPU usage is very low (0.21% in your case). However, when you are actively using the GUI, the usage does increase as you interact the main window. If you use the Windows task manager you can verify that ProcessLasso.exe will use virtually no CPU when the main window isn't visible.

The core engine (ProcessGovernor) should have nearly unmeasurable CPU usage in all cases though. That is why I separated it into a silent background process, for minimal resource use. The report above about it having high CPU use is something I've not seen and, if it does happen, I really want to figure out why.

x16wda

I uninstalled 3.14 and went back to 3.16 and it appears to be behaving this time.  Not sure what might have happened the first time.  The box is a 2 year old dual core AMD processor laptop, and I think there is only 1 special rule put in (about setting a priority when a particular process starts up).

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: x16wda on October 18, 2008, 09:58:27 PM
I uninstalled 3.14 and went back to 3.16 and it appears to be behaving this time.  Not sure what might have happened the first time.  The box is a 2 year old dual core AMD processor laptop, and I think there is only 1 special rule put in (about setting a priority when a particular process starts up).

Good news ;). I hope v3.18 also performs as well. Please let me know if you have any other problems.