Main Menu

ini files

Started by sheza, June 24, 2016, 06:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheza

New owner. Great program. Love tinkering with it.

Request: Can we have a way of choosing the INI files on startup and with certain programs? I have set CPU affinities for individual programs and default but I have to keep manually switching the INI file.

Thanks

Shez

edkiefer

Quote from: sheza on June 24, 2016, 06:01:41 AM
New owner. Great program. Love tinkering with it.

Request: Can we have a way of choosing the INI files on startup and with certain programs? I have set CPU affinities for individual programs and default but I have to keep manually switching the INI file.

Thanks

Shez
Ok, Just so I understand right.
You would like a profile type manager (user configurable ) and also have program priority to a certain profile.

I have to ask, can you give simple example of where you need to alter , have you really tried the default , with minimal user edits on affinity ?
I only ask this cause Probalance does good job of adjusting priority dynamically.
Bitsum QA Engineer

sheza

Sure. I use flightsims a lot and I have an INI file which puts the flightsim program on its own cores leaving the other cores to manage the other tasks. Works well for me. However, on normal use I want Prolasso to manage the affinities etc. on all cores.

Also would be great to have the INI file have the ability to shutdown certain processes with the flightsim working and then turn them back on after the program is closed.

Shez

edkiefer

Quote from: sheza on June 24, 2016, 09:43:56 AM
Sure. I use flightsims a lot and I have an INI file which puts the flightsim program on its own cores leaving the other cores to manage the other tasks. Works well for me. However, on normal use I want Prolasso to manage the affinities etc. on all cores.

Also would be great to have the INI file have the ability to shutdown certain processes with the flightsim working and then turn them back on after the program is closed.

Shez
Ok, got it, I have seen a you-tube vid where user did advanced configuring of affinities to get flightsim running with least interaction from other processes.

There has been talk of advanced rules but i am not sure where it stands in priority of Dev work.
Jeremy would have to chime in for that.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

There are command line switches for both the GUI and Governor that tell that instance to use a specific config folder (must be a folder), '/ConfigFile=c:\wherever'. 

See This document for full Process Lasso command line switches

However, what you probably really need is Profile support, and that is coming... I will keep this request in mind and try to ensure it's covered.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

right, he asking for a profile launcher/manager , same user login but when X process runs change/user xx.ini.

Intel (of all companies) started similar type support for OC, where you set each app to xx clocks.
While, first glance this sounds interesting but in real life I really wonder.

I mean you can't have different clocks really for each process when you got like 80 running.

Anyway, back on topic :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I think profiles will work out really well and have planned for them internally here. It won't be as complicated as it might seem at first too, or so I imagine ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer