New 'Times Restrained' and 'Status' (running, restrained, and soon more..)

Started by Jeremy Collake, September 25, 2010, 05:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

... see new screenshot below
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Scott

Quote from: jeremy.collake on September 25, 2010, 05:37:24 PMNotice the status, which can change to 'Restrained' and the 'Time Restrained'.

This is good stuff.

Based on what you wrote ('Time Restrained') rather than the screen shot, I thought at first you meant that the column would depict how much time a process spent being restrained, rather than the number of times...

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Scott on September 25, 2010, 08:31:41 PM
Based on what you wrote ('Time Restrained') rather than the screen shot, I thought at first you meant that the column would depict how much time a process spent being restrained, rather than the number of times...

You know, I could add with just slightly more work. This new inter-process communication stuff I've been going on about, stuff the user doesn't see, allows me to do all sorts of things that weren't previously possible.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, what I've done is added the total time restrained beside the count. That way I fill the blank space in the 'Times restrained' field (as its header is so large) *and* show this extra metric. It only updates when processes come out of restraint, so isn't 100% real-time. I still have to do more work to it, but its 'done' already (because the back-end code was in place)

Jeremy Collake

Scott

That's cool.  Really cool.  May I humbly suggest using parenthesis rather than a hyphen?  As in:

5 (32 seconds)

Rather than:

5 - 32 seconds

Jeremy Collake

Sure, sounds reasonable. I have other polishing planned as well, I was just throwing it out there real quick before I started on larger changes that 'held up' the build. For me, I'm still early into my work night. Graph tooltips are next, after I do some internal work.

BTW, the 'seconds' auto change to 'minutes' and so forth. I may allow floating point numbers (e.g. 3.4 minutes), but will worry with that later.

Cool new feature, thanks for the misinterpretation that led to a suggestion ;). This new framework has proven well worth its time. I can do so much more. Products that link the GUI and core engine together in one process are fine, and have an advantage... but I think it is important to keep them separate for absolute minimal resource consumption. Although separate, now the GUI knows what is going on -- and not only that, but *all* instances of the GUI know what is going on with one or more instances of the governor. It's beautiful, lol.

Jeremy Collake

BTW, there are some quirks I already see, the Restrained column can get 'stuck' and the timing may be inaccurate. I'll be fixing all this once I've done with this next stage of the new framework, which I won't waste time explaining because its highly specific to my code. Should be next build. I am gonna quit talking so much and get some serious stuff done tonight.