PL 4.0.0.7RC1 and 4.0.0.8RC1 logging fails

Started by MMcVeigh, November 01, 2010, 04:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMcVeigh

I just tried both 4.0.0.7RC1 and 4.0.0.8RC1 and no log information appears in the "Actions log" display regardless of options.  I reverted to 4.0.0.6RC1 and that one works.

I am using Win XP Pro, SP 3.

Thanks
Mark

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, that's odd. Are you using a global log folder, or just the standard/default log settings? I have not seen this in test beds, but will keep a look out for it and try to figure out what may have occurred.

Thanks much for taking the time to report this.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

MMcVeigh

I am using a global log folder, but only enabling one user PL governor and PL GUI, but with all processes managed by that execution.  I think it is odd also, but sure enough, the log display returned when I downgraded to 4.0.0.6RC1.  It is simple enough to try loading 4.0.0.8RC1 again and see if log data disappears.  I could capture before and after registry if that might be helpful.  Please let me know what I can do to help.

Mark

MMcVeigh

I think I see what is going on now.  In an installed 4.0.0.6RC1 logging was enabled, then turned off.  I still could see new events in the GUI and assumed there were no more log events written to the file.  Not true, the logging seems to be done by the PL governor and until it is restarted, the log file is still being updated.  Now comes 7RC1 and 8RC1 which not only restart PL governor, but apparently detect the disabled log and do not display anything in the Actions Log of the GUI.  Reverting to 6RC1, I see the last activities written in the log in the Actions Log table even though logging is disabled.  Is this description consistent with coding changes?

Whatever, I personally find it odd to have the Actions Log blank with logging disabled, especially since I can't turn off display of the Actions Log.  Is it possible to change coding so the Actions Log actively displays events, even when writing to the log file is disabled?  That would be my preferred behavior.

Mark

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: MMcVeigh on November 02, 2010, 04:40:47 PM
I think I see what is going on now.  In an installed 4.0.0.6RC1 logging was enabled, then turned off.  I still could see new events in the GUI and assumed there were no more log events written to the file.  Not true, the logging seems to be done by the PL governor and until it is restarted, the log file is still being updated.  Now comes 7RC1 and 8RC1 which not only restart PL governor, but apparently detect the disabled log and do not display anything in the Actions Log of the GUI.  Reverting to 6RC1, I see the last activities written in the log in the Actions Log table even though logging is disabled.  Is this description consistent with coding changes?

Thank you for elaborating, it is quite useful (as you can imagine).

The lack of immediate disabling of log entries (not requiring a governor restart) is apparently a bug in the new beta, thank you for pointing it out.

The blank actions log in 8RC1 is a mystery though, and likely errata. If the application was used by the same user, with the same configuration, then the log file should have persisted and have been displayed (as it was in the 7RC1 reversion in your case).

I am sure from these clues I can address both problems.

I wonder if you varied install types, by chance? Using the 'Setup-QuickSilentUpgrade' on the newer version? This could have caused an inadvertent variance in the configuration, resulting in a different log file location in 8RC1. The proper preservation of the configuration during a silent upgrade is something still on my 'to test' list. This is the first step to automated updates (should the user choose to use them).

Is it possible to change coding so the Actions Log actively displays events, even when writing to the log file is disabled?  That would be my preferred behavior.

Certainly, that is already the intended behavior. I will be investigating and fixing this ASAP.

Thanks again for taking the time to make a bug report.

Jeremy Collake

Lack of immediate application of the log enable/disable setting has been fixed here internally and will be in the next uploaded build.

MMcVeigh

I just installed 4.00.10RC1.  The logging issue remains.  If I "disable logging" and restart processgovernor, no more activity will appear in the Actions Log.  Jeremy previously indicated the problem had been fixed internally.  Any idea when that will be released in user code?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: MMcVeigh on November 10, 2010, 12:32:10 PM
I just installed 4.00.10RC1.  The logging issue remains.  If I "disable logging" and restart processgovernor, no more activity will appear in the Actions Log.  Jeremy previously indicated the problem had been fixed internally.  Any idea when that will be released in user code?

It should be enabling/disabling instantly now. If it isn't, then I guess something is wrong. If you were expecting different behavior, then perhaps I misunderstood ;o.

The older log activity should still be showing up in the log view though.

I will revisit the issue when I get a chance and take another look. However, please just 'set me straight' in any case.

MMcVeigh

I think we have a communication issue.  The enable/disable does now work immediately, however my point about new activities was perhaps misunderstood.  In your post of Nov. 4, 2010, 12:43 AM you said

QuoteIs it possible to change coding so the Actions Log actively displays events, even when writing to the log file is disabled?  That would be my preferred behavior.

Certainly, that is already the intended behavior. I will be investigating and fixing this ASAP.

I assumed that meant if logging is disabled, new activities would still display in the Actions Log panel. 

Is this a reasonable update to ask for?

Mark

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: MMcVeigh on November 10, 2010, 05:13:44 PM
I assumed that meant if logging is disabled, new activities would still display in the Actions Log panel. 
Is this a reasonable update to ask for?

THAT is the cause of the confusion. The Actions Log panel is the Log. They aren't distinct from one another. So, right now, I can't disable one and keep the other active.

HOWEVER, my new inter-process communication framework in version 4 *does* independently notify the GUI of actions taken. Therefore, it is possible to make this change. Unfortunately, it is impossible to make it now (right before release). The code has been frozen. It is something I can do in the future though. I can understand why you'd desire that (no writes to disk), so it sounds like a great idea to add.