Forums are sending me notifications of not having any thread subscriptions.

Started by gman68w, August 19, 2016, 07:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman68w

At least twice a day I can expect to receive an email notification of subscribed thread updates. Only I have no threads I'm subscribed to (that'll change as soon as I click the 'Post' button for this one). This has been a things since like, forever. Or at least as long as I've been a forum member. Any idea how to fix this?

Hotrod

gman68w

Great, but where's the option that says "Don't send me empty notifications"?

[EDIT]
I'm getting notifications for this topic now, even though nothing new has been added to it.

Jeremy Collake

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

gman68w

Not sure about a spammer, but I just got fifteen notifications just now, all within seconds of each other. There are no topics listed in any of these. Just, "Below is a list of topics with replies", but no list.

edkiefer

I don't know if this would affect that but in the General topic of forum we get a lot of spammers, that I end up clearing.
So that might trigger even though when you come here you then don't see a new post, cause it was a spam post.

We had a few this morning i cleared out.

Jeremy would know more if this would affect that.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Our Forum email system was back-logged 163 days (ahem). It would appear you have inadvertently signed up for some 'daily summary' (maybe instead of instant reply notifications), but are seeing them all at once because of this back-log now clearing.

gman68w

Nope, this is the only thread I'm subscribed to, and it's set for daily notification. This is what all notifications I get look like, whether or not anyone's actually replied to it recently.

Jeremy Collake

Here is what I *think* happened:

Spam comments were posted to the thread during the period where email was 'down' (queued up).
Later those comments were deleted.
When daily summaries went out, now empty because the spam was gone.

If the *empty* Daily Summaries continue today and beyond, then I would conclude otherwise. Let me know, and apologies for this! Needless to say, I was not happy to discover this error in the Forum email settings, but we have so much going on.

gman68w

It's not really even an irritant or anything, I'm just concerned that it's indicative of some larger problem

Jeremy Collake

Are you still receiving them? Empty though?

I think it may be a bug in SMF. I have never tried using that feature. You know you can turn it off I guess?

Thanks

edkiefer

I still think its spam, anyway I enabled those settings so lets see what happens as I am more chance doing the cleaning, it should show whats up.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, def could be that it is sending empty due to deleted spam messages.

edkiefer

little OT, I just got message site wanted me to log off and on again, refresh fixed it but wonder if changing settings had anything to do.

either way we will see.

Also I haven't got notified yet, I set it to instant notification.
Edit: no it works, I had to refresh window 10 mail app.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Your cookie just timed out I'd guess.

There is, however, an 'issue' here where I, and probably others, can only login via the Forum Social Login feature, and even then, have to do it every darn session. Or maybe it's an administrative thing, but I'm more inclined to think something is still fishy with the bridge. That said, it seems non-critical, and I have other things (products!) to do.

edkiefer

I have that problem going from forum to bitsum.com, then back and I have to login to forum.
but it does save min user/PW so its a one click thing.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Oh, ok, that is the cause then, me being logged in the main site. We'll just have to put up with this for now.

edkiefer

Back on topic, so far notifications are working right, reply to message.
Bitsum QA Engineer