Core Parking in duocore CPU

Started by Montgomery, November 12, 2016, 03:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montgomery

Hi,

I'm using Process Lasso 8.9.8.58 alone, without the Park Control available now as a twin application for extended settings' availability. Nevertheless PL 8.9.8.58 as previous versions includes in its Power Profiles Bitsum Highest Performance : this is what concerns my post.

As I see it the only difference between Bitsum Highest Performance and Windows built-in High Performances is that Bitsum's profile disables core parking.
On the other hand I read at http://www.9a2gb.net/windows-tip5-disable-cpu-core-parking/ : Note: It [disabling core parking] only applies to Windows 7 x64 and x32 and only in systems using  more than 2 physicial CPU’s  and/or more than 2 logical cores.

My processor is a duo-core only, which is why I wish to know if the Bitsum Highest Performance has in fact the ability to disable core parking on my system (Windows 7 SP1 64-BIT).

Thanks  :)

edkiefer

Quote from: Montgomery on November 12, 2016, 03:53:26 AM
Hi,

I'm using Process Lasso 8.9.8.58 alone, without the Park Control available now as a twin application for extended settings' availability. Nevertheless PL 8.9.8.58 as previous versions includes in its Power Profiles Bitsum Highest Performance : this is what concerns my post.

As I see it the only difference between Bitsum Highest Performance and Windows built-in High Performances is that Bitsum's profile disables core parking.
On the other hand I read at http://www.9a2gb.net/windows-tip5-disable-cpu-core-parking/ : Note: It [disabling core parking] only applies to Windows 7 x64 and x32 and only in systems using  more than 2 physicial CPU’s  and/or more than 2 logical cores.

My processor is a duo-core only, which is why I wish to know if the Bitsum Highest Performance has in fact the ability to disable core parking on my system (Windows 7 SP1 64-BIT).

Thanks  :)
Hi , Ok, so you want to know if parked cores are really disabled with BHP power plan, but don't want to install Park control standalone to check or set.

Open windows Resource Meter to CPU tab so you see cores on right side.
If there are any parked cores, it will say it right there, like it will list it as "CPU1 parked core", if you see CPU0, 1, 2 etc w/o parked you have it disabled or it doesn't support parking.

easier way is just install PC and it shows in the CPU bars, parked ones get grayed out.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Montgomery

Park Control, the application, is not in my problematic. I know why it exists apart from now on and I know what it ads to Process Lasso.

As I tried to explain it, my concern is to know if disabling core parking, as mentioned in the article I referenced above, applies only to systems using  more than 2 physicial CPU’s  and/or more than 2 logical cores.

I'm aware of the Resource meter (i.e. in Windows Resource Manager) showing parked cores. I have none of the two here which show as parked. But I have only two which could explain that neither is ever parked. This is why I wished to have a confirmation here that core parking concerns or not CPUs with more than 2 cores, because if this is true then perhaps would it be pertinent that this restriction be clearly notified when it comes to Process Lasso and its Bitsum Highest Performance profile as well as in the Park Control application itself, even if duo-cores must represent a minority of most users' systems.

edkiefer

It depends on the CPU type and model AFAIK.
For sure you need 2 or more and having one with HT probably has better chance to.

IF you enable PC and then don't see any parked cores, its good chance your cpu doesn't support, unless the registry got messed up.
It either works or doesn't work, not going to hurt anything running BHP.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

BHP also disables CPU frequency scaling in addition to core parking. We stay on top of the most optimal changes, as the system default High Performance attempts to remain 'Green'.

Please rephrase or let me read for further concerns.

Thanks
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: Timothyfekly on January 29, 2019, 11:30:40 AM
Has anyone tried the CPU-360 WB in conjunction with a new Intel Core i7 2600K?

I know they fit Socket LGA1155
Tried what, never heard of a CPU-360 WB and i7 2600k, new?
That's almost 10 yrs old now.
Bitsum QA Engineer