Will not change power profile for Watch Dogs 2

Started by admiralspeedy, December 06, 2016, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admiralspeedy

So, I actually reported a basically identical bug about a year ago with Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Basically, I have wildcards set so that if any game launches from any of the directories where my games are installed, PL switches my power profile to High Performance (from balanced), which works perfectly except for Watch Dogs 2.

Previously with Assassin's Creed Syndicate, the issue was that the process was named "ACS.exe" which was blacklisted because it was also the name of some ancient antivirus that had issues with PL at some point. I believe this was removed from the blacklist when I asked about it, but I had finished the game and uninstalled it by the time I realized anybody responded to my report, so I'm not entirely sure.

Now with Watch Dogs 2, I've noticed that it's the only UPlay game that I have installed right now that causes PL to not switch to High Performance mode properly. When you first launch the game, PL does switch because the game starts its launcher, which is a separate process (but in the same folder), but once the game actually starts and the launcher closes, PL switches me back to Balanced mode. I've tried even directly setting a power profile directly for the game's process by right clicking it in PL and setting it, but it never switches.

Jeremy Collake

Are you sure it is PL switching you and there is no other power management software causing some havoc? This has been known to happen, so I ask first to check for any OEM software that might be trying to control power plans.

Also note that if you use IdleSaver or ParkControl's Dynamic Boost, all types of controller input may not be recognized. (just FWIW)

Also note that if your config gets screwy you can try exporting what you have now, a reset of all your config options, then see if you can make it work with new ones. If not, re-import your old config, etc...

I will re-read your report later and see if I can glean any clue as to what it could be, am finishing up CPUBalance v1.0, as well as correcting the last of the emergency server work that begun last week.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

I don't have that game, but do have FC3 and 4 and they work fine.
I set each game exe in game mode.
One thing don't have a exe set in game mode and application power plan profile as it messes with it if the 2 settings are working off the same processes.
Bitsum QA Engineer

admiralspeedy

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 11, 2016, 02:30:41 PM
Are you sure it is PL switching you and there is no other power management software causing some havoc? This has been known to happen, so I ask first to check for any OEM software that might be trying to control power plans.

Also note that if you use IdleSaver or ParkControl's Dynamic Boost, all types of controller input may not be recognized. (just FWIW)

Also note that if your config gets screwy you can try exporting what you have now, a reset of all your config options, then see if you can make it work with new ones. If not, re-import your old config, etc...

I will re-read your report later and see if I can glean any clue as to what it could be, am finishing up CPUBalance v1.0, as well as correcting the last of the emergency server work that begun last week.

Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread. To answer your question though, no I have no other power management software installed and nothing OEM related, since this a desktop built by myself and I don't install any of that garbage.

I have actually tried exporting, deleting and importing my config and I have everything else in PL disabled anyways, since I only use it for Power Profiles. As I've said before though, every game I own on Steam, Origin, and Uplay work totally fine, except Watch Dogs 2.