Last Few Updates: Column Customisation won't save

Started by WillG027, May 11, 2017, 10:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillG027

Greetings,

As per the title, I have found with the latest few updates that my column customisations aren't saving/sticking.
It's quite frustrating to open the GUI to the default layout.

I have ensured I have permissions for both PL folder and config file in 'Users' on C: drive. And they are not write protected.
The only other thing that has changed is I have installed the creators update for Windows 10 - not sure if that is the source of the problem?

Regards
Paul

edkiefer

It's a known issue, ver 9 is currently in rapid flux, it will get fixed for sure.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Note do be sure that no Registry Cleaner is active while we evaluate this on our end (it's floated to the top ;p).

Thanks,
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

WillG027

Registry Cleaner not used on Process Lasso.

I tried changing the way PL starts, using the .ini filed stored in the installation directory file (rather than default) - but this has not alleviated the problem.

Cheers

Jeremy Collake

Another user found that if he:

1. Used 'Run as Administrator' to start Process Lasso (after exiting it of course)
2. Set his columns like he wanted
3. Then exited, he was able to retain the column positions.

We are still examining the issue. Are you on a corporate network, or home PC?

It seems isolated to limited/standard users, that much we know for sure at this time, but not much else (yet).

WillG027

On home PC.

I have PL set to 'run as administrator' from the file properties already.
Thanks

Jeremy Collake

This is being actively investigated and literally the first bug fixed in the coming beta series. Expect it very shortly, then a new final when the fix (and other work) is done and confirmed.

WillG027

Thanks Jeremy.
It seems intermittent too. Most times it's reset to default - but every once in a while it's as I customised them.

[An option in the 'View' menu item to hide the 'Action log' at the bottom of main screen would be a nice addition too.]

:)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, the intermittance is what caused the delay here. I kept testing and not seeing it. So I'm now just refactoring, under the assumption I screwed up somewhere in v9 maintenance, which I'll probably find during the work.

Hiding the log is also on the request list. Maybe hide and disable all-in-one even, hmm...

But a bigger, more important project also looms, just need a little more time and impetus in the face of some serious non-technical challenges I won't get into right now, but will persevere.

WillG027

Great stuff Jeremy.

An auto hide when disabling logging would be neat - I don't get crashes very often & as a 'home' user I don't need to utilize the log feature at all really. . .

Appreciated - your service is second to none!

WillG027

So just an FYI post in case it's helpful.. .

Settings and changes to the UI of PL still wont stick.
I mentioned above that I 'Re-Configure the way PL starts' and set it to use an .ini file location rather than the default.
Well I've been trying to set it back to default and the setting wont stick. It is stuck on .ini file location.

Upon making a change - the dialog box closes and disappears - but I've noticed that PL hangs in the background with the user interface not closing.
To start PL again I have to open Task manger and kill all instances of PL and only then will it re-open.

PL is running as administrator, de-ticked 'Read-Only' and I've also tried running the 'InstallHelper.exe' by itself (without PL UI running) - but that doesn't work either. (it doesn't hang but settings still don't stick)

Hopefully you may find this helpful in some way.

edkiefer

Quote from: WillG027 on November 02, 2017, 04:13:12 AM
So just an FYI post in case it's helpful.. .

Settings and changes to the UI of PL still wont stick.
I mentioned above that I 'Re-Configure the way PL starts' and set it to use an .ini file location rather than the default.
Well I've been trying to set it back to default and the setting wont stick. It is stuck on .ini file location.

Upon making a change - the dialog box closes and disappears - but I've noticed that PL hangs in the background with the user interface not closing.
To start PL again I have to open Task manger and kill all instances of PL and only then will it re-open.

PL is running as administrator, de-ticked 'Read-Only' and I've also tried running the 'InstallHelper.exe' by itself (without PL UI running) - but that doesn't work either. (it doesn't hang but settings still don't stick)

Hopefully you may find this helpful in some way.
Your talking about when you go to reconfigure PL startup, in the second page the default is not ticked after you set it to a specific path. Yes that is a bug but when you do tick the default, it still should use defaults (per user).
At least on my system any changes are in ini in user path, not programdata path.
Bitsum QA Engineer

WillG027

I successfully changed it from 'Recommended location' [per-user] (which I assume is default) to 'Use a custom location' [/ProgramData on specified drive].
The check-box selection dot is present in the custom menu option.

The problem is it wont switch back; with the problems described in the previous post. (hanging or not applying changes)

Thought possibly this may be related to why settings aren't sticking. (administrator rights, access permission, registry permission etc)

edkiefer

Quote from: WillG027 on November 03, 2017, 04:17:14 AM
I successfully changed it from 'Recommended location' [per-user] (which I assume is default) to 'Use a custom location' [/ProgramData on specified drive].
The check-box selection dot is present in the custom menu option.

The problem is it wont switch back; with the problems described in the previous post. (hanging or not applying changes)

Thought possibly this may be related to why settings aren't sticking. (administrator rights, access permission, registry permission etc)
Ok, On my side it still works (reads right config in user path) but if needed to go back to defaults settings this is what works.
Though I don't like mentioning this as you need to uninstall PL then open reg and delete "processlasso" keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ProcessLasso and also these two if Processlasso key is present  HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software ,  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ProcessLasso.

Then reinstall PL, you will need to enter license code again to activate but it will be back to defaults.

The reason the key is not deleted on uninstall is so when updating/installing you don't have to redo activation info.

Edit All you need to do is remove the data lines configfile and logfolder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ProcessLasso of the registry, no need to uninstall and reinstall. This is for default radio button sticking to custom path.
Just be careful, and always backup registry before editing it.
I will note this and hopefully we can get a cleaner way.
It's best to wait for a proper fix.

PS: my above comments are only for radio button getting stuck on custom config path, not a fix for columns as that is different issue AFAIK.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Sorry for the delay in response, but this is not off the radar, not by any means. Just keep hanging in there and an update (I don't want to promise which) will make progress on this in the near future.

Thanks

Autumner

I'm trying to permanently add the "Publisher [claimed]" column but it will always disappear after a ProcessLasso.exe restart. Running it as admin doesn't help. (9.0.0.442 W10 x64)

edkiefer

Ok, 9.0.0.464 fixes a bunch of issues that have been reported.
Column width, column/process list sorting (including "CPU time") and forgotten saved columns like "status" and "Publisher [claimed]" are also fixed now.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Autumner

Thanks edkiefer. Just tried "Publisher [claimed]" but it still disappears after a PL restart.

edkiefer

Hmm, All the issue in this thread and in my above post are fixed in my testing.
Yes, I have restarted OS and PL a dozen of times in last two days (was fixed in the last beta too).

I see yours on Win10 x64, same as my two systems.
Only thing I can think is something with reg in pre 9.0.0.464.
Try resetting both reset options in view tab

PS: Thanks for the feedback.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The hidden default columns aren't persisting when unhidden by the user. Appears to be a bug that snuck in at the last moment. Not many users ever unhide the few columns hidden by default, so fortunately it is an edge case. I will get it fixed, my apologies!

Jeremy Collake

Should work correctly in new final build 9.0.0.466, building now (few minutes to release). This build is essentially a re-release of 9.0.0.464, fixing a separate edge issue.

Autumner

Many thanks for your work - it is now... A-okay.  :)

edkiefer

Quote from: Autumner on August 10, 2018, 01:24:38 PM
Many thanks for your work - it is now... A-okay.  :)
Great, glad it is working for you  now :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

ANIBAL

Last update has resolved all issue. Get updated and things will get fixed.

edkiefer

Yes, 9.1.0.28 should fix column saving in the main process list, log viewer and action log.
Bitsum QA Engineer

KIPOTTO

I had a go at changing the way PL begins, utilizing the .ini recorded put away in the establishment registry document yet this has not eased the issue.