Park Control Installed but Lasso says it's not

Started by Computer User, June 16, 2017, 10:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Computer User

I have been using both Process Lasso and Park Control for a little while now, but whenever I click Options>Tools>Configure CPU Core Parking, Process Lasso says Park Control is not installed.

I mainly started using Process Lasso because I thought it was necessary to run Park Control. You see I did a format recently and could not find the park manager utility I was using before.

I guess I'm OK using Lasso if it really does improve PC performance while gaming, though I'm skeptical. I used to use Alacrity PC, which with one click disables any non vital apps to save resources. Lately I'm seeing way more RAM usage than seems appropriate for having a tool running that is supposed to improve PC performance while gaming.

That said, I usually check RAM usage before launching games. I always reboot before playing if it seems too high. Does Lasso keep RAM usage in check once a game is launched? I really only have a few background progs running while playing, AV, FW, and Logitech Mouse Software.

BTW I'm using the Free version of Lasso, maybe this is why it does not recognize that Park Control is installed. Is there a way to disable the countdown page trying to get me to sign up for the Pro version of Lasso? It's quite a nag.

edkiefer

If you run PC through tools in PL, it should start it and will be in system tray.
Not sure why your getting pop-up to install it if its already installed (I would check that both are up to date).

If you have PL you don't need PC running all times and on desktop for gaming even less as just make sure your power plan is Bitsum HP one during game or heavy activity.

PL won't make your games or system magically faster, that's BS for any utility that claims that. What it will do is make it more responsive and stop back-ground processes from taking away CPU cycles from your focused application.
On ram use if you don't need the PL GUI, you can close it, the ProcessGovernor.exe is what does all rules, or you can limit PL GUI with slower refresh rate from default 1 sec to 2sec an up. PL can trim memory with Smarttrim option but generally if you got enough memory I wouldn't worry about it, you just don't want to try and trim anything to much, it is always best to have enough system memory.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Computer User

Thank you for responding edkiefer.

Perhaps I worded that wrong, what I meant was with just 8GB sys RAM, there's some games that can be affected if too much sys RAM is being used by progs other than the game.

When you say "you don't need PC running all times...just make sure your power plan is Bitsum HP", are you implying PL unparks CPU cores in BHP mode when it detects high resource progs like games?

I used to use Park Manager, and left running my PC with cores unparked. However I do always shut off my PC at night when asleep.

edkiefer

Quote from: Computer User on June 17, 2017, 07:57:22 PM
Thank you for responding edkiefer.

Perhaps I worded that wrong, what I meant was with just 8GB sys RAM, there's some games that can be affected if too much sys RAM is being used by progs other than the game.

When you say "you don't need PC running all times...just make sure your power plan is Bitsum HP", are you implying PL unparks CPU cores in BHP mode when it detects high resource progs like games?

I used to use Park Manager, and left running my PC with cores unparked. However I do always shut off my PC at night when asleep.
Ok, so try something like 85% value in options>smarttrim>advanced options and make sure performance mode is checked.

Yes, when BHP is running (you can also trigger it with app set to performance mode, it has all cores unparked. So as long as that plan is in use, no core parking will take place.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I think you guys have covered things well, but one thing to remember is that 'free' RAM acts as a disk cache... so you want some of it free.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Computer User

OK, thanks guys, sorry for taking a while to get back to you.