Started by edkiefer, March 28, 2011, 08:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

I didn't notice any mention (at least on first pages of forum) I was on 4.09.32 since I saw new beta I tried the update tab of PL .
First new window with updates available shown up (update and auto update buttons ) .
I first hit update one, didn't notice anything happening (I was expecting it to DL new version , if so maybe same issue with not opening a new internet window/tab issue ).

Then I tried auto update option , this seems to work very well and fast ,with no issue so far (4.09.33 is shown as version) .

Just some feedback on my update experience on a XP SP3 system .

Ed
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thank you for the report. You are NOT the only one. Sadly, I've had sporadic reports of this. I have not figured out why in the world it is occurring. It seems to be occur on users of Firefox. One difference in Firefox behavior is that new tabs opened in an already existing instance may not be brought to the foreground, which could cause confusion. So, be sure to check that no tab was opened in the background. Otherwise, I still have investigations to do on this matter.

As for the auto-updater, yes I am quite happy to get that thing done. Man it takes the pain out of updating, eh? ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Screemer

Just me or does more people have problems with the auto updater?
The last 2 beta versions I've seen, now 4.09.49 when trying to use the auto updater it starts to download, fills the progress bar and then nothing?
Shouldn't it continue and actually install the software?

Really love Process Lasso and appreciate the auto update feature..:) Did see it working on some machine a few betas back..
did something break or is it just me?

edkiefer

Quote from: Screemer on April 26, 2011, 03:10:57 PM
Just me or does more people have problems with the auto updater?
The last 2 beta versions I've seen, now 4.09.49 when trying to use the auto updater it starts to download, fills the progress bar and then nothing?
Shouldn't it continue and actually install the software?

Really love Process Lasso and appreciate the auto update feature..:) Did see it working on some machine a few betas back..
did something break or is it just me?
I have not had any problems with auto-update I update each new one an as of first post all works as it should .
I did try just update option a beta ago and still got same problem, nothing seems to happen .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I'm going to guess and say it was a network error or maybe you hit the download while I happened to be uploading ;o. Either way, likely temporary. That said, it does remind me that I need to add some better error handling systems, auto-retry, etc.. Thanks ;)

Screemer

No thank you for keep giving us better and better software all the time.:)
I really like Process Lasso..:)

Screemer

Still having problems with the update server?
Just checked in my v4.09.49 beta and it has no updates, website show 4.09.51

Not nagging, just informing of the problem I have.:)

Jeremy Collake

It is now fixed. Sorry for the delay. It was down for about 24 hours. A change in the database password (something done routinely for security) caused breakage in some legacy code because my host had migrated servers and the new server, upon change of the database password, stored the password in a newer hash format.

Hotrod

I have a couple towers running PL Pro 4.00.34. They are configured to not look for betas when updating, however over the last couple days they have been advising an update to 4.09.57 beta.  ???

Jeremy Collake

Fixed. I had rewritten the update system about 36 hours ago. Since update checks are not very frequent, at least it was caught early, and at least the word 'beta' was within the version. Still, no excuse for such mistakes. It is hard to regression test every change, but I really should have tested that better. I was over-confident, a classic mistake.

Hotrod

OK...no more betas...but now the whole thing hangs for about 15 seconds while the update is located....i can't even bring up the GUI...and then when it does come up it does so exactly at the same time as the "no update available" notification. Sorry to be such a PITA  :-\

Jeremy Collake

This is due to the third relocation in a week. When the latest DNS change finishes propagation it will work again. The system itself was fixed, but not the web servers. My first (oldest) host had a major server problem that persisted for several days. I switched to a new host. This new host likes to block half of Europe and Asia at any given time. They cut off Germany two days in a row. I ordered a better virtual private server and have made what I hope is the last of these rather annoying and time consuming server changes ;o.

Jeremy Collake

Correction, the new server has some more configuration work to do before the updater will work again. A simple over-ride of the MIME type for the old ASP page does not appear effective, nor does adding the proper handler. I am looking into it and trying alternate methods of working around this extension problem, though none have been effective so far. There must be something I am missing, I may have to request help from the local admins on this one, as they know their server configs better than I.

Jeremy Collake

The update system has been restored, finally. I guess it took a little sleep, as I solved the new server config issue within minutes of waking up.

danlock

*nod* Seems to be working great now.