Sticky Processor Affinity Settings

Started by bucmo, September 07, 2018, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucmo

TL;DR - where might Process Lasso leave settings that would continue to affect processor affinity after switching to CPUBalance?

Hi...  I had pegged CPU during Gradle/IDEA/Java builds.  First I tried using Task Manager to set processor affinity on selected processes to leave one of four cores unused, which worked but is a pain to re-set all the time.  Next I tried Process Lasso, also setting processor affinity by process.  Worked great, and persistent.  But Process Lasso was overkill for my needs, and costs too much.  So I tried CPUBalance...  Great, just right!  I definitely intend to buy CPU Balance PRO...

BUT...  the processor affinity settings by process are still being applied.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling CPUBalance.  I figure the governor and/or core ProBalance stuff has some settings leftover from when I tried Process Lasso...  where should I look to delete them?  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

edkiefer

Quote from: bucmo on September 07, 2018, 12:08:01 PM
TL;DR - where might Process Lasso leave settings that would continue to affect processor affinity after switching to CPUBalance?

Hi...  I had pegged CPU during Gradle/IDEA/Java builds.  First I tried using Task Manager to set processor affinity on selected processes to leave one of four cores unused, which worked but is a pain to re-set all the time.  Next I tried Process Lasso, also setting processor affinity by process.  Worked great, and persistent.  But Process Lasso was overkill for my needs, and costs too much.  So I tried CPUBalance...  Great, just right!  I definitely intend to buy CPU Balance PRO...

BUT...  the processor affinity settings by process are still being applied.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling CPUBalance.  I figure the governor and/or core ProBalance stuff has some settings leftover from when I tried Process Lasso...  where should I look to delete them?  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi, All settings are stored in the file "prolasso.ini".
The default file/folder path is this "C:\Users\[user-name]\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso\config

You can close CPUbalance, then delete that file or move it. Then restart CPUbalance and it will generate new default ini file.
Bitsum QA Engineer

bucmo

Quote from: edkiefer on September 07, 2018, 01:04:06 PM
Hi, All settings are stored in the file "prolasso.ini".
The default file/folder path is this "C:\Users\[user-name]\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso\config

You can close CPUbalance, then delete that file or move it. Then restart CPUbalance and it will generate new default ini file.
Brilliant, thank you!  Works great...  and CPUBalance keeps my PC responsive without losing a processor during builds!  Will be purchasing CPUBalance Pro shortly.