Author Topic: IdleSaver does not seem to work anymore  (Read 958 times)

Offline Keefaetana

  • New
  • *
  • Posts: 2
IdleSaver does not seem to work anymore
« on: September 10, 2018, 01:26:41 AM »
Last night I noticed that, although I've set Process Lasso to switch to the Power Saver plan after two minutes of inactivity, the active power plan never did change. I tried "Reset all configuration to defaults" option, just in case it was something I'd done to prevent it to switch the power plans and took the timer down to 30 seconds. After a full minute of waiting, no switch had happened. I even told Process Lasso to log nothing but the IdleSaver events, but even that shows nothing at all. Because of all this, I do not believe IdleSaver works for me anymore. I do have a vague recollection of it working way back when it was a new feature, but unfortunately I cannot give an estimate of when it broke for me as I noticed the issue just hours ago.

I currently use a HP OMEN 880-065no desktop PC, with fully updated Windows 10 x64. The version of Process Lasso I use is activated and the latest publicly available beta build. If there's any additional info you need, I would be happy to provide it.



Offline edkiefer

  • Volunteer User Moderator
  • Member#
  • *****
  • Posts: 1675
  • Gender: Male
Re: IdleSaver does not seem to work anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
Hi, Thanks for the report, On my main testbed it is still working fine in version 9.0.0.479b (latest).
I will test another VM and see, while I don't test every option in every build the main releases get tested pretty well.

Could it be some application is not letting system truly idle (even though you are not active)?
Also, some drivers allow networking to wake a system up, there are settings for this in power-management under networking driver in device manager.

Edit: 9.0.0.464 (not beta) in VM also works fine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:04:47 AM by edkiefer »
Bitsum QA Engineer

Offline Keefaetana

  • New
  • *
  • Posts: 2
Re: IdleSaver does not seem to work anymore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
Thank you for answering. I never did doubt the quality assurance of Process Lasso, I merely thought this might've been an edge case which somehow eluded your testing.

I checked my processes and, according to Task Manager, my PC idles at about 2% combined CPU usage - including the Task Manager itself. I then had a hunch that it could be somehow related to an unofficial DS3 driver I recently started using, so I manually stopped the service related to it. I'd checked IdleSaver before doing that, and it did not change the power plan. After stopping the service, IdleSaver started working again perfectly. At first, I thought that the driver and/or its service might've been the root of the whole problem, but after starting the service once more, IdleSaver still works as it's supposed to. I have no idea why doing that solved my problem, but it seems to have done the trick.

Since the issue doesn't seem to be caused by Process Lasso after all, I thank you for your time and consider this issue closed (unless I find out something new and noteworthy about it in the future).

Offline edkiefer

  • Volunteer User Moderator
  • Member#
  • *****
  • Posts: 1675
  • Gender: Male
Re: IdleSaver does not seem to work anymore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:40:40 AM »
Thank you for answering. I never did doubt the quality assurance of Process Lasso, I merely thought this might've been an edge case which somehow eluded your testing.

I checked my processes and, according to Task Manager, my PC idles at about 2% combined CPU usage - including the Task Manager itself. I then had a hunch that it could be somehow related to an unofficial DS3 driver I recently started using, so I manually stopped the service related to it. I'd checked IdleSaver before doing that, and it did not change the power plan. After stopping the service, IdleSaver started working again perfectly. At first, I thought that the driver and/or its service might've been the root of the whole problem, but after starting the service once more, IdleSaver still works as it's supposed to. I have no idea why doing that solved my problem, but it seems to have done the trick.

Since the issue doesn't seem to be caused by Process Lasso after all, I thank you for your time and consider this issue closed (unless I find out something new and noteworthy about it in the future).
Thanks for the follow-up report, glad it is working for you now.

Don't worry about reporting issues "we" want a user to do that or if they have problems, I didn't take the report as anything other than a users report :)
So all is good.
Bitsum QA Engineer