ERROR: ... error cleaning up the global path...

Started by MMcVeigh, September 04, 2011, 12:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMcVeigh

I have been running version 42 (32bit) and just upgraded to 45.  I get numerous messages "ERROR: There was an error cleaning up the global path..." both during installation and at later start up of PL.  I tried 44 and 43beta as well.  Same problem.  Back to 42 and installation and run-time work correctly.

What's up?

Jeremy Collake

I apologize for the troubles. Thank you for reporting that. I have been looking for any occurrence of this. I feared not all cases of cleanup might succeed. What is this cleanup? Some users of older builds who utilized global paths had created for them a 'prolasso.ini' sub-directory that was redundant. So, the idea is to move the prolasso.ini *file* up one level and delete that redundant directory. Why clean it up? I don't like messes, and it is important things be standardized to prevent bugs.

The reason the cleanup is failing I'd like to know, but it may be because you are running with low rights. This is UNLIKELY because that would mean you also can not write to the config file (unless your file system permissions were even more specific). So, first, it could be *remotely* possible that starting Process Lasso 'as an administrator' *once* will fix the problem permanently. If not, see below.

Here is what I advise:

• Export your configuration to make sure you don't lose it
  • Exit Process Lasso and core engine
  • Go to your global configuration path folder in Windows. It is in the About box,  or in 'Options / General / Reconfigure the way Process Lasso starts ..' (second dialog). You can change it there too
  • Inside you should see 'prolasso.ini' as a FOLDER, *or* you are setting in a folder named 'prolasso.ini'. That makes the path to the *file* somedir/prolasso.ini/prolasso.ini. If not, abort and report here.
  • Inside 'prolasso.ini' *folder* there is a *file* 'prolasso.ini'. Rename it to 'prolasso-temp.ini'.
  • Move 'prolasso-temp.ini *file* up one directory level (out of 'prolasso.ini' folder)
  • Delete 'prolasso.ini' *folder*
  • Rename ''prolasso-temp.ini' to 'prolasso.ini'
  • Start Process Lasso, verify configuration not lost. If lost, import

Alternate (simple) instructions:

• Export configuration file
  • Go to your global config file path folder
  • Delete 'prolasso.ini' folder.
  • Start Process Lasso
  • Import your old configuration file

Alternate instructions #3:

• Export configuration file
  • Reinstall Process Lasso
  • During install, select a new global config file (or try the old one, as the installer also tries to clean up the directory)
  • Start Process Lasso
  • Import your old configuration file

Please let me know how it works out and any details you can share that may be helpful into determining why it failed. In the meantime, I will be looking into this, and improve its behavior and response to errors .. as throwing up more than one error notification is simply annoying, I do apologize for that. In simple terms, this is because Process Lasso is divided into so many different components, and each is reporting the failure.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

MMcVeigh

I am using Alternate (Simple) Instructions and am currently at version 42.

Export went fine
No prolasso.ini file, for whatever reason mine is named prosuper.ini. Removed it.
There is no prolasso.ini folder in my global area.

I believe the problem had to do with the configuration file name.  Some incarnation of PL chose prosuper.ini and as long as I was using that name, I got the message.  After reinstalling v45, I used the option to change how PL starts including the configuration file.  The dialog did not let me choose a name, just a directory and it automatically chose prolasso.ini.  I was then able to import my configuration and things work well.

Thanks for the quick response,

Mark

Jeremy Collake

Ah, that does explain it. You must be a long time user ;). I did not account for cases where the filename was prosuper.ini ... hence, the issue.

Jeremy Collake

I have fixed this issue for the next minor update. Cases of 'prosuper.ini' will be handled correctly. I had simply forgotten that old filename was still in use. Thank you again for reporting this. Without such reports, Process Lasso would suffer greatly in QA! Being a one-man-band, it is hard for me to catch everything in my own testing.