Set default CPU affinity for all processes

Started by Hikari, November 28, 2019, 07:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hikari

Hello!

I have Process Lasso Pro for over a year and it's rly a powerful and essential tool!

I've just bought a 9900KS and next month I'll have my new PC ready and will start installing softwares so I set it as my Main.

The activity in cores components affect power consumption, which affects how long cores can be in Turbo clock. So, I'd like to use Process Lasso to restrict default affinity to 2 or 3 cores and leave the rest idle. Then some few softwares be allowed to use these cores.

Is it possible?

edkiefer

Quote from: Hikari on November 28, 2019, 07:44:05 PM
Hello!

I have Process Lasso Pro for over a year and it's rly a powerful and essential tool!

I've just bought a 9900KS and next month I'll have my new PC ready and will start installing softwares so I set it as my Main.

The activity in cores components affect power consumption, which affects how long cores can be in Turbo clock. So, I'd like to use Process Lasso to restrict default affinity to 2 or 3 cores and leave the rest idle. Then some few softwares be allowed to use these cores.

Is it possible?
Hi You shouldn't really need to do that turbo boost 3 will know best cores and boost those accordingly plus Probalance will dynamiclly   lower priority of any background process that may try to interfere with your focused application.
If you really want to alter a few processes affinity you can do so a few ways, right click on them in process list and set affinity from there, you can also group change a few at once by using the shift key, just like group file selection in explorer. Active tab maybe helpful there.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Hikari

Oh I didn't know I could group select processes! That helps setup some, the most used and demanding, all at once!

I know that PL and Windows scheduler do that job. But still I'd like to use PL keep some cores reserved for a few softwares. Currently I have a i5 Haswell, with "only" 4 cores and no HT, so 9900KS will be a huge improvement. I will do tries until I have final set priorities, but my idea would be have a few CPUs reserved for games and a few softwares like Skype for streamming.

If I select a group of softwares and set CPU affinity for them, am I able to remove custom setting later? maybe restoring a backup.

edkiefer

Quote from: Hikari on November 29, 2019, 05:19:37 AM
Oh I didn't know I could group select processes! That helps setup some, the most used and demanding, all at once!

I know that PL and Windows scheduler do that job. But still I'd like to use PL keep some cores reserved for a few softwares. Currently I have a i5 Haswell, with "only" 4 cores and no HT, so 9900KS will be a huge improvement. I will do tries until I have final set priorities, but my idea would be have a few CPUs reserved for games and a few softwares like Skype for streamming.

If I select a group of softwares and set CPU affinity for them, am I able to remove custom setting later? maybe restoring a backup.
Sure once you setup all your processes affinities how you like them from process list, you can always go to menu options> CPU>configure persistent CPU affinity, Then you have the list of all the processes and their affinity values were you can remove at any time (you can backup the profile to of all changes made).
Process Lasso doesn't mess with system files so all changes are contained within the program.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Hikari

Where are its files stored so I can downlad and restore as needed?

edkiefer

Quote from: Hikari on November 30, 2019, 06:50:07 AM
Where are its files stored so I can downlad and restore as needed?
On a default install the path will be "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso" where there is the config folder with the profiles and log folder if wanted/needed.

Also, note from within PL you can export the profile (menu option, files>export configuration file).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Hikari

Thanks.

Another question. On the CPU affinity, are all physical cores listed to then list all virtual ones, or are they alternated?

edkiefer

Quote from: Hikari on November 30, 2019, 09:06:30 AM
Thanks.

Another question. On the CPU affinity, are all physical cores listed to then list all virtual ones, or are they alternated?
AFAIK, for example, if you had a dual core with HT, core 0 would be first core and core1 would be the HT, then core2 would be second core and core3 would be it's HT, so alternate listing with physical/virtual cores
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Physical cores are every other logical CPU. So the pairs are, for instance:

Logical cores 0,1 = Physical core 0
Logical cores 2,3 = Physical core 1
Logical cores 4,5 = Physical core 2

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.