Optimal settings smart trim

Started by carlosamp, December 05, 2019, 08:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlosamp

hello what are the optimal trim working set and purge standby list settings for a gaming computer with 16 GB of RAM?

edkiefer

Quote from: carlosamp on December 05, 2019, 08:11:51 AM
hello what are the optimal trim working set and purge standby list settings for a gaming computer with 16 GB of RAM?
Hi, the Best option on smart trim is to have enough memory and for standby list clearing there are many variables.
What I used in these settings (it all depends on trim interval picked).

1) Enable smart trim= on.
2) Check every =2min (note depends on interval and   cache amount)
3) On action, Trim working-class = set off
4) Purge standby list  and system file cache = on
5) Only purge when in performance mode = enabled (I don't see why you would disable this on games).
6) Only Purge when free ram excluding cache is less than =2048

The above assumes you don't need general smart trim (you have enough memory for gaming)
On settings you could try defaults to in time and amount, what I posted above is just what I used as I tried to lengthen the interval times.
but also a 1min and 1024 value worked too for me, YMMV.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Skrell

Quote from: edkiefer on December 05, 2019, 11:28:57 AM
The above assumes you don't need general smart trim (you have enough memory for gaming)
How can you tell this is the case?  Also thank you for your previous answer!  I'm running with your suggestion now! :)

edkiefer

Quote from: Skrell on January 12, 2020, 10:51:09 AM
How can you tell this is the case?  Also thank you for your previous answer!  I'm running with your suggestion now! :)
If you're not running out of memory (check PL status bar or Task-manager) you shouldn't use SmartTrim for most normal cases.

Also on a side note, many browsers are now trimming themselves.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Skrell

Quote from: edkiefer on January 12, 2020, 10:58:39 AM
If you're not running out of memory (check PL status bar or Task-manager) you shouldn't use SmartTrim for most normal cases.

Also on a side note, many browsers are now trimming themselves.
So I do periodically get the "running out of memory" message from windows and it seems to be related to running Waterfox for an extended period of time...   I have 16GB of RAM and a custom page file setting (200->1024) ; could that be my problem?

edkiefer

Quote from: Skrell on January 12, 2020, 11:05:25 AM
So I do periodically get the "running out of memory" message from windows and it seems to be related to running Waterfox for an extended period of time...   I have 16GB of RAM and a custom page file setting (200->1024) ; could that be my problem?
That's a very low setting, try letting windows control it and see how things go.
Then you can decide if you want to manually set the value.
Bitsum QA Engineer