7950X3D: BSODs when setting CPU affinity for certain programs (Firefox, HWInfo)

Started by wavy9728, March 12, 2024, 12:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavy9728

Fairly new to Process Lasso but familiar enough at this point to know the basics.

I saw one other person post in this forum regarding Firefox crashing and don't think he ever got a response.

My plan is to prefer frequency cores to offload most processes and free up the VCache cores for VR headset software, SteamVR, Games, etc.

For some reason Firefox and HWInfo cause rather immediate BSODs when changing affinity from None/0-31 to 17-31. Between 1 and 30 seconds. The browser starts crashing, then the computer BSODs.

I have absolutely no clue why this is happening, and dump files don't show much.

I've tried various SMU CPPC BIOS setting, tried CPU sets, and at this point am running without the AMD VCache Optimizer driver since I thought maybe there was a conflict.

Any ideas?

Jeremy Collake

I can't explain why the CPU affinity change is causing that effect but can say it's unusual.

You should run extended stress tests on this system to ensure hardware setting integrity.

Beyond that, the problem is likely related to some device driver. BSODs only originate from kernel mode code, so that's almost a given.

However, we just don't know. If you discover any clues, we'd love to hear it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

gracie31

If Process Lasso's affinity settings are causing persistent issues, you might explore alternative methods to manage process priority. Windows Task Manager offers some basic process priority control.
By systematically trying these steps, you should be able to narrow down the cause of the BSODs and find a solution that allows you to use Process Lasso effectively with Firefox and HWInfo.