"Locate executable on disk" from the right-click context menu of the log view

Started by ilikefree, January 09, 2013, 03:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikefree

It would be good to be able to right click an item in the log and go to the process or program on the disc not just look it up on the internet.

Jeremy Collake

OT: Did you guys know if you click on an item in the log, that item will be selected in the process view (if it is running)? Then there is a 'jump to disk'.

I will go ahead and add this as soon as I can, it has been discussed before.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 09, 2013, 05:55:16 AM
OT: Did you guys know if you click on an item in the log, that item will be selected in the process view (if it is running)? Then there is a 'jump to disk'.

I will go ahead and add this as soon as I can, it has been discussed before.
Yes I know, but I only using it if I wanna change the file or that process is never seen before. ;)
Saving the time for C:\Program Files...... ;D

Hotrod

The reason I requested this from within the log a long time ago was for processes that were acted upon and logged but no longer are active in the running processes window. The current method does not allow me to find the offending process that is not running except by search of the hard drive.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Hotrod on January 09, 2013, 02:07:59 PM
The reason I requested this from within the log a long time ago was for processes that were acted upon and logged but no longer are active in the running processes window. The current method does not allow me to find the offending process that is not running except by search of the hard drive.
So thank you for requested that, it helps when there are short life-time process that bite CPU and gone faster when I check for it. ;)

Jeremy Collake

I can keep/add processes that have recently been acted ON in the Active Processes listview no problem. I will add this too, to the agenda. Now, I best get to work!

Hotrod

Why can't this just be done from the log? Is it that difficult? Forgive me but it just seems like it would be harder to do it the way you suggest.

Jeremy Collake

For the function you want, yes, absolutely easier in the log.

For general use, it just seemed like another good idea to keep recently acted on processes in the Active Processes pane. After all, once I add this option, there are lots more that could be added ;)

Anyway, I will go ahead and add your option to the log ASAP. I do record the pathnames already, so pretty straight forward.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Hotrod on January 10, 2013, 02:45:47 AM
Why can't this just be done from the log? Is it that difficult? Forgive me but it just seems like it would be harder to do it the way you suggest.
Because it will increase the size of log as it need remember the full path of processes. :)
But I think it is not a problem as we are not using 1.44 floppy drive. ;D

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 10, 2013, 02:49:05 AM
For general use, it just seemed like another good idea to keep recently acted on processes in the Active Processes pane. After all, once I add this option, there are lots more that could be added ;)
Like keeping it for 5-10 secs?
It is not a big deal as we don't has a lot of processes that spamming the Active Process.
----
I think maybe you can add the function
1.To pin the process at Active Processes(always showing it whatever it is running or not(showing as not running))and showing a Bold line between pined processes/active processes
2.Create a new tabs(list) that can contain the processes(and maybe provide the function that always showing it whatever it is running or not(showing as not running)) that we are adding into that tabs(list), so we can see the processes by list.
All Processes/Active Processes/Game/Media Player/Must running/...
And adding the function to running it by double clicking it(if it is not running), and maybe bring to front(and hiding PL window, select back to Active Processes) just like the Task Manager.

1. is because I found most of the time, I am seeing Active Processes instead of All Processes.
2. is I found if the Process don't list in Active Processes(as it is a short active list to keep easy to find the processes), I need a long time to finding it in All Processes and I know its name and function.
When I can't find it, I need a long time to click start button, typing the words, make sure it is correct and click enter to running.
Too bad the start menu only list Apps without the folder name(in the start menu).

Jeremy Collake

Bump this thread later and I'll respond more, I gotta get to work ;p.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 10, 2013, 03:10:38 AM
Bump this thread later and I'll respond more, I gotta get to work ;p.
Remember to give yourself a rest after work. ;)