The shortcut "Reset Process Lasso to Defaults" should ask the User before reset?

Started by BenYeeHua, March 03, 2013, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Because I reset the cache of the recently opened programs for the Start Menu, so the location of the "Reset Process Lasso to Defaults" jump up to the first one(And I don't know why windows think it should be the first one...).
I shutdown the PL to test something, and after I wanna to running it, I click the Start button, type "Process", click enter and unexpected run that shortcut.
I found there are no ways to undo or refuse it, as the PL don't ask me for that...
----
Should it pop-up a window and ask the User did they really want to reset PL?
Or it will be copy the old prolasso.ini to the desktop, so we can import it back if this happen? :)

Hotrod

It would not be a bad idea to have PL save a backup copy of say the last 2 or 3 major changes in cases such as these, and I agree a safety "Did you really want to do this?" would be good. I have had a similar issue before when the Icons in the programs menu were labeled as one thing but actually pointed to a different thing in the PL folder. I'm not sure why this happens, but I've only seen it happen to PL

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Hotrod on March 03, 2013, 02:30:31 PM
It would not be a bad idea to have PL save a backup copy of say the last 2 or 3 major changes in cases such as these, and I agree a safety "Did you really want to do this?" would be good. I have had a similar issue before when the Icons in the programs menu were labeled as one thing but actually pointed to a different thing in the PL folder. I'm not sure why this happens, but I've only seen it happen to PL
Everything will happen in the computer world, and backup/ask is one of the ways to help when this happen.

I think it will be fine, like backup the prolasso.ini everyday/12 hours, and delete the backup for longer than 7 days.
As we don't care about 500-1000K to save the prolasso.ini backup, but we care about the setting that we set, and run everytime we need it. :)

Jeremy Collake

I am adding new (or improved) confirmation prompts now so that users don't accidentally do this.

A periodic backup of the configuration file and/or a rollback of recent changes is indeed possible. As with most things, it does become a question of if and when I get to it though. I've found that it is very easy for me to become lost in a sea of endless small enhancements and lose site of the larger goals of the project. I'm currently working on adjusting this behavior by focusing entirely on larger goals. As I get free time, I'll implement the ancillary features.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 04, 2013, 12:35:21 AM
I am adding new (or improved) confirmation prompts now so that users don't accidentally do this.

A periodic backup of the configuration file and/or a rollback of recent changes is indeed possible. As with most things, it does become a question of if and when I get to it though. I've found that it is very easy for me to become lost in a sea of endless small enhancements and lose site of the larger goals of the project. I'm currently working on adjusting this behavior by focusing entirely on larger goals. As I get free time, I'll implement the ancillary features.
Then post some of them, if you are allowed, and has time.
So we can discuss it, and know it is important for most user or not.
And use some time to arrange the priority. :)
Remember, your interest first, so you will not lost your fire. ;)