Missing core utilization graphs [DEFERRED]

Started by solo48, March 29, 2013, 12:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solo48

I am having a problem trying to get my cores to show with my Ram and the thing is it use to show and now it does not at all and I also have the check mark on the show CPU.Here is a link of what it looks like now.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/SOLO47_2006/ProLasso.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/SOLO47_2006/ProLasso3.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n155/SOLO47_2006/ProLasso2.jpg

Michael Plant

Hi,

All was working well until today's beta downloaded and installed (6.0.3.11) under Windows 8 64-bit. When the update had installed, it threw this error: WARNING: Core util display not supported (1).

I downloaded and installed the previous beta (6.0.3.09) which I am pretty sure I had installed and which was running, but it threw the same error. Downloading and installing 6.0.3.4 cured the problem.

solo48

Looks like we all having the same problem,just that I use Windows 7 64bit.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: solo48 on April 18, 2013, 09:36:38 PM
Looks like we all having the same problem,just that I use Windows 7 64bit.

Actually Michael Plant's issue was temporary due to the new diagnostic message I had added (now gone).

He reported it worked fine again when he went back to the last final.

In your case, the performance counter can't be connected to. It is as if it doesn't exist. I'd say it was disabled for the PC, but we know that ParkControl works, so I'm evaluating what can cause this difference of behavior in the two applications.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

This is blowing my mind :o. The failure doesn't seem to be anywhere in the code. There is some difference in the way Windows is treating Process Lasso's application vs ParkControl on these affected systems. They are executing identical code. The error is trying to register the performance counter. I will collect the error info from that call, but I am sure it won't be entirely helpful. I just don't know ...  It'd be really nice to reproduce this, something I'm now trying to do more aggressively than before.

BenYeeHua

solo48

Man my cpu core graph still has not showed up yet. :-\

solo48

I had to use the windows cpu core area to do it with.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: solo48 on July 29, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
Man my cpu core graph still has not showed up yet. :-\
lol, sometimes you need to bump the thread, as we don't has this issue, we don't know it is fixed or not. :)

Jeremy Collake

I haven't forgotten, but I don't know the cause. There's probably some oftware environment condition that is responsible for this, but I've not caught onto what thus far. I want to gravitate towards the automated application compatibility assistant somehow interfering, but don't have any evidence of that.

I suppose I need to create another debug build that will spit out more information, as the last really didn't yield any decent information.

It'd really be nice if I was able to reproduce this, but ...

One experiment you might run is:
1. Close Process Lasso.
2. Find and rename 'ProcessLasso.exe' to something else, e.g. 'ProcessLasso2.exe'
3. Run the renamed 'ProcessLasso2.exe'
4. See if any change in behavior
5. Close Process Lasso and restore name.

This might help to 'flush' any compatibility flags/adjustments that Windows has made.

solo48

it does not let me put a check on the view for the cpu graph utilization

solo48

I tried renaming it and still does not work.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, thanks for trying.

I believe I've got to simply say I give up on this for now. Unless and until I get a lot more reports, I have to treat it as a curiosity most likely caused by some anomalous system configuration or setting. I'll continue looking for clues and possible causes.

solo48

Jeremy Collake

Well, maybe bad news after all.

My reproduction of the error was due to a build anomaly in a prior beta version.

When I saw it fail in a test bed, I incorrectly assumed it was the issue you've encountered. It wasn't.

In other words, no dice.

I suppose you could try this, though I wouldn't think it would have an effect:

1. Run cmd.exe as administrator
2. Run 'wmimgmt.exe /backup mybackup.bak'
3. Run 'wmimgmt.exe /resetrepository' 
4. ...  and/or 'wmimgmt.exe /resyncperf'

But the fact that ParkControl works, but Process Lasso doesn't, again throws a wrench into the notion that this might work.

In fact, almost all my theories are blown out of the water because ParkControl works, despite it using the same code. That's why I've kept wanting to gravitate towards the Application Compatibility Assistant, since it could account for the difference. Unfortunately, I've run some tests and haven't determined any way the Application Compatibility Assistant could cause this failure.

The system Application Log (Event Viewer) may or may not show a warning or error...

solo48

I tried every thing and still no go  :-\

solo48

I am not going to worry about it anymore.

BenYeeHua

Ya, it look like the only way to fix it is reinstall windows...

solo48

well thats one thing I do not wanna do cause I have to many programs I will have to installed all over again.Thanks any ways  :-[

BenYeeHua

Ya, the only bad thing for all OS is, they don't provide a good ways to repair/reinstall it without losing most of the software to be reinstall...