Request: Restore system tray notifications

Started by CaptainRedacted, June 01, 2013, 01:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRedacted

Hi, not a huge problem, but I'm using ProLasso 6.5.0.20 on XP sp3, and cannot get the balloon notifications to show. I'm a newish user, but they didn't show on the previous version either. In Options>General Settings>Show balloon notifications, I can't get a tick there. In my other programs, balloons do show. Thanks anyway for a great little program!

BenYeeHua

Yup, I also can't tick it. :)

Jeremy Collake

The balloon tips were actually removed in v6.5. That menu item is a vestige. The menu item for the balloons in the system tray was removed.

I do intend to restore the balloon notifications soon. I'm not sure how many people actually use them, as they are highly annoying. Still, they will be coming back.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Support on June 04, 2013, 03:33:15 AM
I do intend to restore the balloon notifications soon. I'm not sure how many people actually use them, as they are highly annoying. Still, they will be coming back.
For the user that having good behave, I think it will be quiet, until the balloon pop up, and it is time to check out what is that software doing. ;)
Just like what it mean, notifications. :)

And some people like to know it is working or not too, but the traffic light is enough for me. 8)

CaptainRedacted

Quotethey will be coming back
Thanks; I know the program does good things, but without the balloons I don't know what they are!

BenYeeHua

Quote from: CaptainRedacted on June 04, 2013, 10:08:25 AM
Thanks; I know the program does good things, but without the balloons I don't know what they are!
lol ;D
You got how many icon/software stay on the Notification Area/Tray Icon? :)

CaptainRedacted

QuoteYou got how many icon/software stay on the Notification Area/Tray Icon? :)
I have 21 active icons in the tray area; for ProLasso I use the 'total processor utilization' option.

edkiefer

21 ? wow your startup must be full .

I have only 7 , 3 hidden and 4 showing . Out of those 1 is PL and 2 are for Afterburner for vid card . so I only have speaker and action center showing .

I hate having many startup processes unless i need them .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Wow! :o
That are a lot of process, and lucky we has Process Lasso to calm them down. ;D

And the balloons just like the software saying:"I am here I am here." :D

smartbit

Hi, I suspect there is a bug in a system tray balloon notification functionality:

I'm Trying to enable tray balloon notifications to show up while a process is being restrained.
If I try to do so via the main window, by selecting:

Options > General Settings > Show balloon notifications  (see screenshot attached)

The entry never become "checked", and when a process is being restrained (as evidenced in the log), no notification appears in the system tray. (Tried with the main window either maximized or closed)

I took a look on the "prolasso.ini" file, and the following lines (seems like the relevant ones):
     [SysTrayBalloons]
     EnableSystemTrayNotification=False
     BalloonTipDuration=10000
     ShowBalloonsForOocPriorityRestoration=False

so, these lines have never changed. regardless of my attempts. (I also checked it both on the fly, and after exiting the SW, to make sure so any changes should have been written into .ini file)

I also tried to modify the config. file manually by setting the above mentioned parameters to the "True" values. Then start the SW, test, no effect though.

System Specs:
     Process Lasso Free x64 v.6.6.0.56
     Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
     PC: Lenovo T430s: i7 3520M (2/4), 16GB RAM

If I missed something, and there is no bug, please inform on how to enable the notifications in a proper way.

Thanks, and by the way (apart from some minor issues) this is some nice piece of software :-)

- Andrey D

BenYeeHua

It has been removed, but at least we know 2 person are using it.
And it will be back. ;)

PS:As there are the same bug, I has merged the topic together. :)

smartbit

Hmm, I searched before posting, but somehow overlooked this one.. (Searched for "Tray Notifications")
Anyway, It's always better to keep relevant things together, so thanks.

And good to hear that it is planed to be back, although as you say many users don't urgently use it, but it's always good to have an option :-).
If the thresholds are tightened up and the restrains are rare, it is desirable to have a notifications on them.

And also in general case, while all the processes are rolling up and down, I'll always would prefer to monitor the behavior for the first couple of weeks. (Same goes with firewalls, HIPS, etc...)
It helps to better understand and trust the SW, and also gives the user a more solid image of the whole PC programs behavior

PS: And usually when a person runs into an issue, search, find the relevant post already complaining on it, then he pleasant that someone is on it and never post anything by himself. So I'm pretty sure there are more "silent" users who want it as well, not only the 2 of us ;)

Thanks for the attention for even small bugs, and keep up the good work!! :-)

- Andrey D

BenYeeHua

QuotePS: And usually when a person runs into an issue, search, find the relevant post already complaining on it, then he pleasant that someone is on it and never post anything by himself. So I'm pretty sure there are more "silent" users who want it as well, not only the 2 of us ;)
Yup, after the dev see this, he might making a poll for this one.
So they can poll for it.

And you are welcome. :)

ellison

Hi..
I dont seem to have any process lowering balloon notifications,such as process lasso is lowering the priority of such and such a program anymore.I see the setting to enable it under options>general settings ...however if i click the option no tick is shown and i dont get balloon notifications except for updates.Is this by design now or something else
TIA
ELLISON

BenYeeHua

It has been removed, but it will be back. :)

As it is the same topic/bug, I has merged it.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I keep putting this off. There's been a lot going on here.

I'll try to get to it very soon!

ellison

Thanks...I like to have the option to enable or not.It is useful to me for initially keeping an eye on possible misbehaving apps.Probably should be in a different thread but is it maybe possible in future build to have an option to show tray icon cpu utilization as numerical as well as the current colour bar?.
tia
ellison

smartbit

It's nice to hear that there are still plans on fixing this option :-)

BenYeeHua

Quote from: ellison on August 25, 2013, 03:36:50 AM
Thanks...I like to have the option to enable or not.It is useful to me for initially keeping an eye on possible misbehaving apps.Probably should be in a different thread but is it maybe possible in future build to have an option to show tray icon cpu utilization as numerical as well as the current colour bar?.
tia
ellison
I opened for you. :)
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3565.0.html

BenYeeHua

I wonder can we let the balloons showing more information?
Like:
1.XXX process has been launched
2.XXX process has been terminated

It will be also useful for knowing which process is stealing the focus too! ;)

ellison

Quote from: Official Support on August 24, 2013, 11:20:36 AM
Yes, I keep putting this off. There's been a lot going on here.

I'll try to get to it very soon!

Any update on when this might be an option again?I still think this would be a good inclusion .
Thanks

Jeremy Collake

I have not forgotten. The code is all there, just needs debugged. I'll try to get to it some time in the near future.

smartbit

Nice, thanks for the update

ellison

So is this ever going to happen?..or is it just hot air (thats a joke :)).Its been over a year now ,and balloon notification option is still absent :(

Jeremy Collake

It was not a priority for a great long time, admittedly.

It is something that will soon be available, but it may still be a bit of wait.

Sometimes things 'slide', there's a lot to do, etc... In this case though, a general change in strategy occurred, something that has now changed again.

I don't want to elaborate just yet, but if you give it a bit more time, I think Bitsum will have an offering you will like.

Jeremy Collake

The old system tray balloons infrastructure in Lasso is being refactored.

Could you please list the notifications *you* would like?

Thanks!

edkiefer

It's been so long since I have ever had them . Is there list of what was default ?

I would think any power profile change , any lowering of process restraint . Things like launch process as in logs would be to much IMO .
I know this would probably to much to code for this type of feature, but like who you can pick which logs to show, maybe similar list for message popups

I say this cause your going to get broad spectrum of what users like, form none to all .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

A.K.A. Customize which message you wanna see, just like the log. :)

So it may connect to the log system so that it can show what's the log can show too, I guess?
The only issues is it may break when the log system is break too, or reverse.

ellison

Any update on the return of this feature?.Its been nearly two years since the request :o
thanks

Jeremy Collake

I apologize.

The problem is notification overload. We have to add both throttles and plenty of new user toggles for every type of event you'd like to be notified of.

What events are you most interested in seeing?

BenYeeHua

Gaming Mode enabled, Power Plans changed, smarttrim happened? :)

ellison

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 05, 2015, 04:50:32 PM
I apologize.

The problem is notification overload. We have to add both throttles and plenty of new user toggles for every type of event you'd like to be notified of.

What events are you most interested in seeing?
Hi Jeremy..
Id like to see balloon notifications for apps that may be consuming lots of processor activity over a period of time.Also possibly balloons showing probalance insight ,as usually apps consuming most cpu are on the insight list too.I dont know if its possible but perhaps a limit could be implemented whereby if an app consumed an average of say 20% cpu over 1o mins then perhaps a balloon notification could be shown.It would be even cooler if the limits could be user set.I know I can open main PL window to see these things but i think a balloon is much more convienient.
thanks

ellison

Any feedback on suggestions Jeremy?.im starting to get embarrassed bringing up this balloon thing all the time ,but to be honest I personally find it more useful than the smarttrim thing,because most pcs/laptops these days have more than enough ram anyway.Sorry to sound like a victor meldrew,but Ive been waiting 2 yrs+ for the reintroduction of the balloons again,and I feel a lot of the work is going into stuff like smarttrim ,which may not be so important these days.Sorry for the gripes but id rather a no we are not going to do the balloons again or  some sort of date when they are back?
Thanks for your great program
ellison

Jeremy Collake

I do apologize for the long wait on this. It's been an area of contention. The issue is balloon traffic. So much is happening, so much going on, that the infrastructure to show events gets a bit complex, and requires a lot of settings to toggle on or off specific types of events. For instance, if a user's PC had 1 ProBalance restraint an hour, no problem there.. but what about the next guy who might have 100 per hour - that would get excessive. Similar with every other feature. It's just a tough issue to tackle well for *everyone*.

So, here's what I'll do... not in the final that's coming today, 8.6.. but prior to v9.0. That puts it at 30-60 days. I'll reintroduce the balloons with them toggled OFF by default, so that users have to turn them ON to use them. That way I don't have to deal with the problematic cases right off the bat and can let those who want balloon notifications have them.

There is also another plan in action which I can't get into, but will reveal itself in probably the same time-span, or a little longer... but may address your desires.

edkiefer

Quote from: ellison on July 15, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Any feedback on suggestions Jeremy?.im starting to get embarrassed bringing up this balloon thing all the time ,but to be honest I personally find it more useful than the smarttrim thing,because most pcs/laptops these days have more than enough ram anyway.Sorry to sound like a victor meldrew,but Ive been waiting 2 yrs+ for the reintroduction of the balloons again,and I feel a lot of the work is going into stuff like smarttrim ,which may not be so important these days.Sorry for the gripes but id rather a no we are not going to do the balloons again or  some sort of date when they are back?
Thanks for your great program
ellison
Hi elison .
Feedback is always welcome , either good or bad . You have to realize PL has to be flexible with features for wide client base , not all features will be important to all users . It just the way it is .
Now with balloons, the problem is many don't like them, or so many and it is hard to be very flexible though it can be done i am sure (similar to log options) .

There a lot going on in background with PL and bisum, Jeremy is one guy, so he has to prioritize changes . I don't think it is a case no balloons will be back but just to get it so its not a overload of pop-ups all the time .
Your above request though, I am not sure how all that data would work with balloons, its one thing to bring back what was there, but your request is a lot more.
That said, I am not the Dev so, I know its already been long time but hang in there i am sure something can be done .
Bitsum QA Engineer

ellison

@Jeremy..
Thank you Jeremy for your reply...
I think its a great idea,that the ballons might once again be intergrated,and off by default.
Thank you once again for your wonderful program...
@edkiefer
Hello edkiefer..
I am a long term user of PL and before that mousers  - although it is clear process lasso's superiority to process tamer - it   which i still love because of its simplicity.That and PL were the pioneers of this cpu taming technology (that Ive noticed a few companys have tried to copy)but Jeremy has taken it far beyond what most people imagined it could become .The information balloons were always part of the experience and for the geek ,essential.I know times change and tastes change ,but its always nice to still have that original experience ,if required. :)

Ellison

Jeremy Collake

Thank you for understanding. I've moved this thread to 'Feature Requests' to be sure it stays a high priority item.

I'll try to go ahead and get to it ASAP in a beta version. Leaving them OFF by default lets me play around a lot more easily, I should have thought of this compromise before. Oh well.

Thank you for your compliments and for noticing my dedication. This is my life. It's been a bit humorous to watch the snake-oil salesmen at certain larger corporations try to copy my ideas or technology, yet fail so miserably.  Of course, they fail not because they have bad engineers, but because their companies aren't run by engineers, they are run by marketers. This not only leads them to bad technical decisions, but it affects the morale of their engineers. Then there is also the classical 'large organization' effect, where it becomes increasingly difficult to get anything innovative done the larger an organization gets.

I intend to keep Bitsum as the forefront of this emerging market, one we've largely created. So many companies abandoned the PC in recent years, thinking it was dead. They see consumers from the lowest common denominator... they couldn't imagine how people might still need PCs when mobile devices started encroaching. Of course, we knew all along that you simply can't replace the PC for so many tasks. Thus, it's not going anywhere, and we anticipate Windows 10 to further reinvigorate innovation in the PC space. Knock on wood, as we're making a lot of investments built on this premise.

Anyway, I'll update this thread soon, hopefully to say that I've got them restored in a beta!