The Memory Priority value that can be set should be update [FIXED]

Started by BenYeeHua, June 13, 2013, 11:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Support on June 13, 2013, 04:45:21 PM
In version 6.6 of Process Lasso, one might notice the process context menus now label these memory priorities so there isn't confusion. I do still have to migrate these new labels to all other areas of the product.
Yup, and remember to change it to 1-5, as I mess with it. :P
I also think the Trim Working Set is better than Trim Virtual Memory, as that is what it is doing. :)
----
The value should be 1-5 just as the MS doc.
And the Trim Virtual Memory should be Trim Working Set, as you are trimming the Working Set memory, and you can see only the working set memory reducing, not virtual memory. :)

Jeremy Collake

I will consider changing the trim name. I believe both are reasonably accurate, and virtual memory is more easily understood.

I am still researching 6 and 7 memory priorities. I will remove or limit them based on my findings.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

QuoteI am still researching 6 and 7 memory priorities. I will remove or limit them based on my findings.
I think it is only used for Page Priority, not Process Memory Priority.
But who know. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Process memory priorities are memory page priorities.

I grabbed the priorities from the Windows type definitions. The API used to set these priorities doesn't list 6 and 7, suggesting they are not meant to be used by applications. They are probably intended for kernel mode code.

Here's how they are apparently classified [ref]:

Memory page priorities
0-3
Standby Cache Reserve
4-5
Standby Cache Normal Priority
6-7
Standby Cache Core
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

En...
And yes, 6 is for Superfetch cache the file that it think most accessed, 7 is set by Microsoft dev to keep driver, Office, IE etc.
0 can't be used as it is mean that put the Page into PageFile, except that pages is locked down.
1-3 will start Trimming the process working set memory to standby list, and I think by setting the memory priority 1-4 to the process can be used for replace the Trim Virtual Memory function, and you can priority which process should be Trim first. :)
4 is still untested, and 5 is default, which only Trim when Ram don't has enough memory.
----
Just tested awhile again, it seen like setting Memory Priority 1 will only start Trimming the Working Set memory 3-5 MB per second, after some time.
Not like the Trim Virtual Memory, which putting all the memory page into standby list first, then pulling back to working set by the process.

And just like what your say, most of the pages of the Firefox.exe(Yup, testing with browser is more easily) will be set as priority 1, only a few of pages is priority 4/5(by using RamMap).