Truly silent, automated updates now a reality!

Started by Jeremy Collake, June 24, 2013, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

As of v6.6.0.35 beta, fully silent automated updates are available. We've tested the updater well, and it functions great.

Here's what you'll see for updates *from* v6.6.0.35 beta and later (not *to* since you're using the old updater).

1. No more download dialog for automated updates!
    a. EXCEPT when you manually invoke the update check, then it's assumed you want to see what's going on.
2. System tray balloon notifications after an automated update are displayed once more, since there is otherwise little indication anything happened.
    b. However, you can disable these with a registry tweak (HKLM\Software\ProcessLasso\(dword)DisablePostUpdateNotify=1).

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote2. System tray balloon notifications after an automated update are displayed once more, since there is otherwise little indication anything happened.
    b. However, you can disable these with a registry tweak (HKLM\Software\ProcessLasso\(dword)DisablePostUpdateNotify=1).
This, sometimes I move the mouse over the balloon for too late(like 3-5 secs), it will gone immediate.
So providing this feature will "fix" my issue? :)

edkiefer

I don't use automatic keep PL updated but doesn't the balloon message stay showing till you move mouse, just like windows updater says it updated ok ?

I never had problem with clicking it but I do manual auto update so right there when it does it .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Also manual - auto update it. ;)
I hate some software is running the updater all the time, without cutting the connection too.

edkiefer

you mean the software that runs a separate process many times in startup or task scheduler ?
I to don't have many software to auto check updates like flash , drivers etc

I like as clean as startup can get plus with flash I always check feedback on new version, same with drivers (graphic , sound ,etc ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

System tray notifications do persist until the system is no longer idle, I believe (based on what I've seen, I should confirm that).

I can lengthen the amount of time that balloon is displayed, something I will go ahead and do. It is set at the minimum right now.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

going from memory it is like few seconds after you move mouse and then it fades gradual out which takes another second or two .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 25, 2013, 09:55:20 AM
you mean the software that runs a separate process many times in startup or task scheduler ?
I to don't have many software to auto check updates like flash , drivers etc

I like as clean as startup can get plus with flash I always check feedback on new version, same with drivers (graphic , sound ,etc ).
Yup, I love manual update, so I can check for update and download it while I am not busy(and also the Internet), check for the bug/issue/feature on the newest version and choose to update or waiting for the next version.
And most updater will create a hidden window, steal your window focus for awhile and gone, I hate this. :P

I also mean the software that are running 24/7 hours, they will also run the updater many times, steal the window focus...

Only some software like TeamViewer that check for update on the startup of software is what I like, telling me that it need to update when I need it, and download/update in 1 min. :)

The size of the update file is also important, it mean that how fast your client can using the newest version and feature.

Except Anti-virus, it is important to keep up to date quietly. ;)