Virtual memory metrics

Started by BenYeeHua, August 04, 2013, 05:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on August 04, 2013, 03:33:39 PM
how big is the service , my biggest memory usage on service is approx 125mb
The "cached" shown in the Windows Task Manager, just check it up by using Process Explorer. ;D
Quote from: Official Support on August 04, 2013, 03:55:31 PM
On further thought, I believe my response should be:

Processes should be monitored against 'Commit Charge'. This is the best representation of virtual memory used by a process. In essence, 'Commit charge' should be considered *as* 'Total Virtual Memory'. The actual total virtual memory mapped to a process's space is, of course, considerably larger - but nobody uses that metric, and it's not very helpful since it includes so much memory that need not ever be committed to the virtual memory system, or is duplicated from other processes (both pages mapped to the same backing memory).

So, 'Commit charge' *is* 'Total virtual memory', for all intents and purposes, except technically speaking.

Further, no process can have a total virtual memory size, and not have some commit charge.

The working set, on the other hand, will vary depending on how much of the process is mapped into physical RAM.
And if we "Trim" the memory of the process, which one we should read to know how many RAM, StandBy pages, and PageFile it has been used?
Because most people just "Trim"(you know, "optimizer software" like to do that) the processes and show how "less" the RAM has been used. :)