Why is Logitech SetPoint getting restrained so much?

Started by Coldblackice, October 31, 2013, 04:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldblackice

Any idea why Logitech SetPoint (SetPoint.exe) is getting restrained so heavily (going off of "Restraint History" numbers)?

Hotrod

Setpoint is your mouse driver and can be excluded from restraint safely.

BenYeeHua

No idea, but it can be they are managing your mouse raw input data, just like my touchpad, my touchpad software also having a high CPU usage, as they get control for it, for speed up the moving speed, difference scrolling speed between program, supporting more than 2 fingers etc.

So, you can(from recommend to not so recommend)
1.Let Process Lasso ignore it, exclude it from restraint
2.Switch to Logitech Gaming Software(LGS) if you are using gaming mouse
3.Disable anything that will speed up/slow down your mouse, it is the software mouse acceleration don't optimize enough and biting your CPU
4.Switch to another mouse(just kidding ;D, but this is the best ways if you are out of choose, and you want to getting other mouse that having better driver optimize+function+support)
5.Get a better CPU

I think you can try disable the mouse acceleration to see how's going, as they taking away the point to point accurate from your mouse, if your mouse support >1600 dpi, disable it will not taking any bad effect for you.
Just try it. ;)

PS:Why am I saying no idea, but I can giving so many choose just with a guess, that strange. ;D

Coldblackice

Quote from: BenYeeHua on October 31, 2013, 05:11:32 PM
No idea, but it can be they are managing your mouse raw input data, just like my touchpad, my touchpad software also having a high CPU usage, as they get control for it, for speed up the moving speed, difference scrolling speed between program, supporting more than 2 fingers etc.

So, you can(from recommend to not so recommend)
1.Let Process Lasso ignore it, exclude it from restraint
2.Switch to Logitech Gaming Software(LGS) if you are using gaming mouse
3.Disable anything that will speed up/slow down your mouse, it is the software mouse acceleration don't optimize enough and biting your CPU
4.Switch to another mouse(just kidding ;D, but this is the best ways if you are out of choose, and you want to getting other mouse that having better driver optimize+function+support)
5.Get a better CPU

I think you can try disable the mouse acceleration to see how's going, as they taking away the point to point accurate from your mouse, if your mouse support >1600 dpi, disable it will not taking any bad effect for you.
Just try it. ;)

PS:Why am I saying no idea, but I can giving so many choose just with a guess, that strange. ;D

Thanks. SetPoint never seems to take any CPU whatsoever (I have an i7 930 @ 4.2GHz), and so that's why I'm surprised ProcessLasso seems to be restraining it so much (170 times, 34.16 hours).

Any thoughts on what the net effect would be if I ignored it in PL?

BenYeeHua

QuoteAny thoughts on what the net effect would be if I ignored it in PL?
It depend, but we can guess. ;)

I think if you overclock the CPU, but enable EIST, if the clock don't get increase on the time it need it, then you "might" getting micro-stuttering.(depend on your windows and powerplan setting)
And I think this will not happen to you, or you can't detect that micro-stuttering as it is happening too quickly, and the monitor of 60hz refresh rate+vsync will hidden it, except you are using Windows XP.

I guess it is that software like micro-bursting to processing something in a short time, so when Process Lasso saw it, then it will restraint it.

edkiefer

some mouse cursors get hardware accelerated by GPU , I doubt it would hurt to put it in exclude list .Seems like that would be a back-ground app .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, the white cursors(which is showing now) is hardware accelerated by GPU, except you enable some feature like the Magnifier, then it will disable the hardware accelerate.
And also the game are software too, except some game that showing system cursors one.

But putting it to exclude list or not, I really don't know the answer, but if the process getting restraint, I think the side-effect is the mouse has increased input-lag that can't be detect by yourself.

edkiefer

I wonder why its even getting  restrained  in first place .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

I guess it is micro burst for processing, so when Process lasso checking the CPU usage, that software is biting over 15% usage.

I think it will micro burst processing per 8ms(125hz), then emulator to some acceleration moving.

Coldblackice

Interesting, thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware that mouse use was GPU accelerated.

Anyway, I guess I'll just add it to the exclude list, and then keep an eye out for any significant spikes in system use that might signify Logitech driver/software issues?

BenYeeHua

Quotemouse use was GPU accelerated.
Not mouse use, it is only the rendering of mouse cursors.
Many thing on Windows(start from Windows XP I think) are hardware acceleration(or the rendering is render by GPU), DWM, explorer, IE, and the other browser. ;)

And yes, just add into exclude list, and see that it will causing some stutter on you computer or not, or FPS drop if you are playing some game. :)

Coldblackice

BenYeeHua

Will waiting for your result, I think it is most easy to testing by using game, as FPS are very sensitive to it. :)

BenYeeHua

Ya, you can using Fraps's benchmark function, and FRAFS Bench Viewer to showing the frame rendering time. :)

Jeremy Collake

SetPoint is most likely actually being a big CPU consumer, though maybe just in spurts. When CPU use occurs in bursts, as it often does, the overall average use can remain low - but during select periods, the CPU use is high. A recent update to SetPoint listed a fix for excessive CPU consumption, so maybe you were affected by that bug in SetPoint.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Official Support on November 16, 2013, 02:12:44 PM
SetPoint is most likely actually being a big CPU consumer, though maybe just in spurts. When CPU use occurs in bursts, as it often does, the overall average use can remain low - but during select periods, the CPU use is high. A recent update to SetPoint listed a fix for excessive CPU consumption, so maybe you were affected by that bug in SetPoint.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

How recent? I'm using a build from August. But I found a Logitech thread here that seems to perhaps confirm what you've mentioned (and with people using the latest build):

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards-and-Keyboard-Mice/SetPoint-6-61-15-x64-Windows-7-overheating-aka-overload-CPU-when/m-p/1132005#M40530

BenYeeHua

Ya, as a LGS user, there are many issues too.

Latest build don't means less issues, many times I am facing more issues with latest build.

At least they don't has CPU issues, or most gamer will run away.
It look like they are leak of people to fixing setpoint and LGS issues, and they choose LGS first.

edkiefer

do you really need to load mouse software now adays . I know for high refresh rates and if mouse supports macro's or has lots of buttons .
How many buttons does windows support in win7/8 ?
I would hope they raised it to at least 4-5 .

PS: I use old 3 button so don't know (really should pick a new one up )  ;D
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on November 18, 2013, 07:10:24 AM
do you really need to load mouse software now adays . I know for high refresh rates and if mouse supports macro's or has lots of buttons .
How many buttons does windows support in win7/8 ?
I would hope they raised it to at least 4-5 .

PS: I use old 3 button so don't know (really should pick a new one up )  ;D
Good question, all mouse buttons are supported as they are set in the mouse firmware, but you can only change it and support the change by install the software.
I think the limit is the firmware size, that can't store so many button for difference function.

And many people like the SetPoint mouse acceleration(for non-gamer), and it can be set many step for it. ;)

Coldblackice

Quote from: edkiefer on November 18, 2013, 07:10:24 AM
do you really need to load mouse software now adays .

Absolutely! :)

I've got 10+ buttons that I can configure, and with the wondrous addon called "uberOptions", I can do all sorts of magic with my mouse -- even customizable on a program-by-program basis! e.g., in my movie/media watching program, mouse buttons are used to quickly/easily start/stop/skip/rewind/play/subtitle anything I'm watching.

Very handy!

BenYeeHua

Yup, this is what's I do too, with my little G300. ;)