Suggestions on setting up refresh interval (governor and gui)?

Started by Phil, December 21, 2013, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Is there a performance boost when lowering the refresh interval of both the governor and gui? I'm on a AMD A6 3420M quad-core laptop that's overclocked with K10stat and I usually edit videos. I've been fiddling around with those settings and I'm trying to find the right balance, if necessary. I've also disabled core parking on the balanced power profile.

BenYeeHua

I don't think you can get performance increase, except responsiveness increase.

You can try lowering the refresh interval for Governor only, except you open the GUI, and watching it all the time. ;D
And GUI is also having some performance hit too, that's why we get difference refresh interval for Governor and GUI, so that when we open the GUI, it will not wasting too much CPU usage.(The GUI don't eat much when minimize, except it is opened and showing thing)

Anyways, we will only know the answer after we testing it. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Some users do prefer 500ms refresh rates. This causes the governor to kick in faster, but also doubles the CPU consumption of the governor - not that it still adds up to anything significant.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: jeremy collake on December 21, 2013, 08:37:45 PM
Some users do prefer 500ms refresh rates. This causes the governor to kick in faster, but also doubles the CPU consumption of the governor - not that it still adds up to anything significant.
Yup, it will bit laptop battery life a little more too.

Phil

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 22, 2013, 06:58:03 AM
Yup, it will bit laptop battery life a little more too.
Thanks for your replies. My laptop is always wired, so no issues there. So fiddling with these settings doesn't amount to much, eh? I didn't witness any performance gain from it so I guess I'll leave it at default levels.

BenYeeHua

Normally the answer is yes, but it still has the possibility that affecting the responsiveness. ;)