7.7 beta series thread

Started by Jeremy Collake, January 06, 2015, 05:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

This beta series will start to refine and expose SmartTrim, as well as fix some minor bugs that have been pending.

I'm also hoping to improve usability through continued menu arrangement optimization.

Verison 8.0 will be labelled when SmartTrim is sufficiently built-out. There is a chance there is an interim 7.8 build, but probably this beta series leads to 8.0.

Please post feedback in this thread.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Yes, it is showing double line above the "External tools ...", as you has moved it up. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Turion

Hi. As a first time beta tester, everything is working fine.  :)

However, I observed that upgrading to 7.7.1.1B this morning caused the columns to reset.

Also, I am curious as to what the SmartTrim setting "Let SmartTrim decide when to act" does.  :D

edkiefer

Quote from: Turion on January 11, 2015, 01:32:05 PM
Hi. As a first time beta tester, everything is working fine.  :)

However, I observed that upgrading to 7.7.1.1B this morning caused the columns to reset.

Also, I am curious as to what the SmartTrim setting "Let SmartTrim decide when to act" does.  :D
That option is not yet fully implemented yet .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

It will be enabled in the next build. Probably hours from now (8 hours maybe).

Jeremy Collake

Now functional in 7.7.1.3 beta. Also system tray menu item added for SmartTrim.

I'm trying to crank this out quickly because another project immediately follows. Still, I've got to finish and finalize changes, do code review, commits, and final testing. So, a few days of hard work till 7.8 probably.

Jeremy Collake

I will fully describe this after product release and the mechanism is finalized. I'd rather be transparent. If I have competitors that copy me, great - I'd rather them do things right.

Jeremy Collake

I just discovered that this seems to happen when the installer is used manually, rather than in-product update. I will look into it, though probably not until after 7.8.

Jeremy Collake

v7.7.1.5 beta already coming.

Test target areas:

New ProBalance on/off toggle in CPUEater
New SmartTrim menu items , including system tray menu item
SmartTrim function itself

Translators have been good and we've got up to date translations, so v7.8 should be a great build that more prominently shows off SmartTrim - even though it won't be until v8.0 that we official unveil this new algorithm.

Turion

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 11, 2015, 08:52:12 PM
I just discovered that this seems to happen when the installer is used manually, rather than in-product update. I will look into it, though probably not until after 7.8.
I am updating using Updates > Check for Updates Now. It seems like you fixed it: updating from .7 --> .9 preserved the column layout!  8)

Jeremy Collake

I wish I could say I was so confident. I think simply switching the way you updated caused the problem not to manifest.

Why the installer is causing column layouts to reset I'll have to investigate, but it's low priority since most people will use the updater.

If you see this happen again w/o using the installer, be sure to let me know!

Thanks

Jeremy Collake

7.8 now released.

Any bugs (God forbid) should be posted in the BugTrack section.

There is a disappearing system tray icon in XP that I didn't get to. I wanted to, but it's a tricky one. I'll work on that right away in this next beta series though.