Strange freezing in Process Lasso GUI

Started by MarkMelanson, February 02, 2015, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkMelanson

I can reproduce it in two ways:

Click on a menu item. The GUI will completely freeze for about two seconds. If I mouse over any other menu options after it initially responds it opens the item immediately.

Right-click on a process. The GUI will completely freeze for about four seconds. This happens every time I right-click on a process.

I do not see this behavior in any of my other apps or Explorer.

Any ideas?

Jeremy Collake

Try turning off the process icons. It could be your security software scanning every process as Lasso retrieves the icons.

I do wonder though about why it would pause when you right-click on a process. Again, the same scenario is surely occurring - there is an external I/O block of some sort.

What security software do you use? Try disabling it for a bit and see if that impacts Lasso.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

MarkMelanson

I turned off real time scanning (MSE). No change. I try to turn off the the icons but when I open the GUI they return. Weirdness.... Maybe an uninstall/re-install is in order.

MarkMelanson

Uninstall/re-install did not do it. It seems strange that it does not appear to be saving the setting change. I'll try one of my other machines later today.

Jeremy Collake

Well, I can almost say for certain it is disk I/O related. Have you run a benchmark on your primary drive?

MarkMelanson

This seems to an issue on Windows 7 for me. One machine has an SSD and the other a standard spindle disk. I do not see this on my Windows 8.1 machines. This seems to be a recent change so since no one else is reporting it it is probably some software I have installed. It is just odd that I do not see this in anything other than Process Lasso.

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, well, we'll keep an eye out. I do apologize. Your report may lead to a discovery, or 'second' of some later report. I'd like to know what is going on or sure, it bothers me not knowing. It almost has to be a filter driver on the disk, but that's an assumption.

edkiefer

I am on Win7 sp1 , no issue here with freezing .
When you uninstalled did you clean out this path "C:\Users\"your name"\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso   ?

Does old versions work ok ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I, just now, had a thought. But it's unlikely.

If the user's HDD was in sleep mode when the user clicked on a Lasso menu item, it would have to 'wake up' so the config file could be checked for changes (time of last file write). Not sure if Windows would cache this file info.

Do you hear your HDD spin up during this freezing period?

MarkMelanson

No. It happens every time I try it so a sleeping drive is unlikely.

Jeremy Collake

I agree, I was just grasping at straws. I am really not sure what could be going on here, but I strongly suspect some sort of interoperability issue with something else on the system. Hopefully we can figure this out for you, but I must admit - if you discover any clues yourself, please do submit them, as I've not seen this in any test bed.