Some feature requests and questions...

Started by mjdl, December 01, 2009, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjdl

I've just updated from whatever Process Lasso version was current around August to the current stable release (3705).

As usual, Jeremy has been a real beaver, lots of new features. Some immediate, but I hope, sensible reactions (in no particular priority order):

1) The anti-sleep feature for designated processes is very useful: from time to time I profile my LCD (with ArgyllCMS, another superb set of programs). I always have to remember to switch to the "All timers off" power scheme before I do it (ArgyllCMS is very exacting, and takes about an hour to complete), and ensure that the LCD's brightness level is exactly the same in that scheme as the power saving scheme I normally use.

However, ProcessLasso has implemented the anti-sleep feature as a wholesale power scheme switch, rather than just temporarily changing the power scheme timeouts for monitor blanking, screen-saver, sleep, hibernation and power-off. In my case, it chooses the "Video Playback" scheme, which is the one scheme that switches the LCD's brightness to max level (I can adjust it, of course, but max brightness is appropriate for video watching, whereas photo editing requires reducing the max level).

Hence my request: either implement this feature via temporary changes in the time-outs (probably not a good idea, since the set of available time-outs depends on the particular computer model) or--yet another user option!--enumerate the power schemes defined on that particular computer and let the user choose the one to be used by default for the anti-sleep feature.

You could even allow a default choice and individual choices per program--the UI would be a drop-down list of power schemes in the anti-sleep dialog. That dialog would also have a drop-down for the default scheme,  which would be preconfigured to "Video Player". In the case of a conflict between two programs invoking the anti-sleep feature, the current anti-sleep power scheme should not be changed.

Maybe you could generalize this feature to also take care of the "Gaming Mode", since this also involves changing the power scheme's CPU performance default to maximum performance, no scaling. Conceivably some people might find configuring a power scheme for gaming a better choice in addition to the default of dynamically boosting the CPU priority of the gaming program. In order not to clutter the main GUI, these choices would be handled in the dialog listing these gaming programs.

2) The hovering pop-up with process data in the process list is very welcome, but I notice that it only works in the "Process name" column. I think I was one of the people asking for that feature, but I was wrong to ask that it be available only in that column: I don't keep the ProcessLasso GUI continuously running in the tray, just starting it when I want to monitor a program, hence I have pretty much all the columns displayed in a particular order. This means horizontally scrolling the process window to look at particular columns, and it's easy to lose track of which row correspond to a process. It would be useful to have just the process executable name briefly appear when the pointer hovers on a process's row. Is that possible?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: mjdl on December 01, 2009, 03:00:32 PM
I've just updated from whatever Process Lasso version was current around August to the current stable release (3705). As usual, Jeremy has been a real beaver, lots of new features. Some immediate, but I hope, sensible reactions (in no particular priority order):

A busy beaver, I am.. lol. You should check out v3.79 beta if you get a chance. The new 'Active processes' tab with horizontal bar graphs is a neat new addition to the UI. I've also made core engine improvements. I'll fully elaborate when I finish v3.80.

1) The anti-sleep feature for designated processes is very useful: from time to time I profile my LCD (with ArgyllCMS, another superb set of programs). I always have to remember to switch to the "All timers off" power scheme before I do it (ArgyllCMS is very exacting, and takes about an hour to complete), and ensure that the LCD's brightness level is exactly the same in that scheme as the power saving scheme I normally use.

It was a feature I personally needed as well, hence my decision to implement it.

However, ProcessLasso has implemented the anti-sleep feature as a wholesale power scheme switch, rather than just temporarily changing the power scheme timeouts for monitor blanking, screen-saver, sleep, hibernation and power-off. In my case, it chooses the "Video Playback" scheme, which is the one scheme that switches the LCD's brightness to max level (I can adjust it, of course, but max brightness is appropriate for video watching, whereas photo editing requires reducing the max level).

This is actually a wrong assumption. I think there may be confusion because I added both the anti-sleep and High Performance Power Scheme features at the same time. The anti-sleep mechanism DOES periodically reset the idle timeout, and does NOT change the power scheme. I am not sure how your LCD's brightness is being affected, unless you also had set the 'High performance scheme' mode for the process, or the LCD's brightness is based partially on idle time.

Hence my request: either implement this feature via temporary changes in the time-outs (probably not a good idea, since the set of available time-outs depends on the particular computer model) or--yet another user option!--enumerate the power schemes defined on that particular computer and let the user choose the one to be used by default for the anti-sleep feature.

Resetting the 'idle timer' was pretty easy, and safe. Allowing the user to choose which power scheme to use is something I've considered as an extension to the 'High Performance' power scheme mode. Its definitely a good idea, and I appreciate the suggestion.

Maybe you could generalize this feature to also take care of the "Gaming Mode", since this also involves changing the power scheme's CPU performance default to maximum performance, no scaling. Conceivably some people might find configuring a power scheme for gaming a better choice in addition to the default of dynamically boosting the CPU priority of the gaming program. In order not to clutter the main GUI, these choices would be handled in the dialog listing these gaming programs.

That is a great idea my friend. I am going to do just that in the next beta build I release. By 'that', I mean invoking the High Performance power scheme whenever gaming mode is turned on. I'll likely also implement the configuration details as you suggest.

2) The hovering pop-up with process data in the process list is very welcome, but I notice that it only works in the "Process name" column. I think I was one of the people asking for that feature, but I was wrong to ask that it be available only in that column: I don't keep the ProcessLasso GUI continuously running in the tray, just starting it when I want to monitor a program, hence I have pretty much all the columns displayed in a particular order. This means horizontally scrolling the process window to look at particular columns, and it's easy to lose track of which row correspond to a process. It would be useful to have just the process executable name briefly appear when the pointer hovers on a process's row. Is that possible?

I definitely agree with your desire for this. It is doable, but its just a little more work. I did as much as I had time for, and do plan to continue enhancing the tooltips so they are shown for any column. I also have long planned tooltips over the graph. There is just so much to do ;o.

Thanks much for the suggestions and feedback. It has been very helpful. Well, its time for breakfast here, I must eat.. then code like a mad man ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

mjdl

Thanks for such a detailed reply.

I should have tried the anti-sleep feature several more times, obviously there was something going on in my configuration that mislead me into thinking there were wholesale power scheme changes going on.

I find Process Lasso in general compatible with practically all programs, with the exception of streaming high resolution video embedded in a web browser, whether Flash embedded in Firefox, or other streams as embedded RealPlayer or Quicktime. There's some kind of disconnect between the throttling the browser and maintaining an adequately fast network stream. It's no big deal: I just temporarily disable process balancing if it causes trouble.

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, I will definitely have to see what's going on with the network streaming playback. If you ever get the notion and time to send a log from a period where that occurs, I could perhaps improve the performance of the product during such situations. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for such a problem.

One of the things that I like to do is be sure Process Lasso handles common scenarios better than any similar algorithm could do. Its easy to replicate Process Lasso's ProBalance algorithm in a 'thoughtless' sort of way, but its the subtle tweaks to handle certain scenarios that make it really valuable.

Thanks for your suggestions and input. Discussions like these are what makes the product better.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.