Lost activation after update, had to re-activate

Started by Edward Becerra, June 17, 2015, 11:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Becerra

The same thing happened to me in Win7. The latest update caused PLP to forget my license, forget that it was the pro version, and it started asking for a license key.

Fortunately, it accepted my key, but it still thinks it's plain Process Lasso, not Pro. Clicking on the help menu does give "Process Lasso Pro" and version number, but the main window still stubbornly insists it's just Process Lasso.

Most annoying.

Any advice? (aside from "Just live with it", that is)

Ed Becerra

Jeremy Collake

Apologies for the loss of activation. I'm not sure what caused this for a handful of users. I suspect it's an interoperability issue with another piece of software, or a registry cleaner hitting our registry key.

The main window only *ever* says 'Process Lasso'. Any memory of it saying 'Process Lasso Pro' is just a dream. Maybe I should change this behavior, but that's how it's always been. EDIT: I *will* change this behavior.

Activation is apparent only through the About box. So, you're good. If it weren't activated, you'd see the 'nag' and other indications of it not being activated.

And do not worry, so long as you're on the same PC, your activation code will activate as many times as necessary.

Also splitting this topic since this is actually a different issue... In case others also have a loss in activation. I had 2 reports of it now (of thousands of users), but there were surely more that didn't report it.

I can only say that nothing I did intentionally would have caused a loss in activation. It's probable that the update simply caused users to be more aware of a recent loss in activation due to, again, guessing, some registry cleaner out there that is hitting our registry key.

Despite the fault not lying with Bitsum (afaik!), please accept my apologies for any inconvenience!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

I think it would be good idea to have ProcessLasso Pro in the window text .

The about wbox info is only way to know, or you have to know Pro features and test it , So that would confirm right away that it is a Pro version w/o checking about .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I completely agree, and will be immediately making this change in the next published beta build. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Hotrod

Just to confirm I had to reactivate 5 systems after update to 8.2 . 3-desktops XP Home, 1 Desktop + 1 Laptop Win7. Some of these have had no cleaning or maintenance for a while, so it's not a reg cleaner. after the first one did it, I started checking the others and they were activated as Pro immediately before the update, but Free (complete with nag screen) after the update. Reactivation went quickly and smoothly. :)

Jeremy Collake

Wow, something is wrong.

I am not sure what is occurring, I didn't make any intentional changes that would cause this, and it didn't happen in my test beds.

I'll PM you with a question.

BenYeeHua

This issues happen after you fixed this Name bug and pushed the update, and nope, I don't use any registry clean up tools without checking the registry value. :)
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4931.0

edkiefer

Right , it reset but only had to activate once after that, and proper name shows now .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, but that 'ThisUser' problem should of had no relation, at all. I mean, none.  And it didn't happen in my test beds. Still, something happened, to some percentage of users. I am reviewing all code changes and will find it.

In the meantime, users should know that any re-activation on the same PC does NOT count against you and no user will be penalized for re-activating their software.

Hotrod

Updated to 8.2.0.4 with no issues and all retained their Pro status. :) I'd say this one is fixed.  8)

Jeremy Collake

bertie97

Just adding my name to the list -
Running 8.2.0.9B on 7x64,  I am so used to PL just doing what it's supposed to do I didn't even notice I'd lost my activation til today when I wanted to add a game via 'designate game procs'.  ::)
It instantly flagged me with a "You've been using this for 1008 days!!" msg.  I was horrified as I know it's longer than that! ;)
I re-entered my key, which was all I needed to do, as thankfully my settings hadn't been eaten  :)

As an FYI - I have the habit of turning off the virtualization/sandboxing aspect of the AV when I do updates & also then white-listing the updated files.  I thus think the updates shouldn't be messed with by the AV.  Not that that is a guarantee of course.

Jeremy Collake

Very sorry for the inconvenience, but you did exactly right - just re-enter your key. It doesn't count against you when used again on the same PC.

A handful of other users reported loss of activation in a recent update. I have a working theory and am working to mitigate it, so hopefully it never happens to anyone again - but if it does, just re-enter your code.

Hotrod

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 02, 2015, 05:43:03 PM
Very sorry for the inconvenience, but you did exactly right - just re-enter your key. It doesn't count against you when used again on the same PC.

A handful of other users reported loss of activation in a recent update. I have a working theory and am working to mitigate it, so hopefully it never happens to anyone again - but if it does, just re-enter your code.

And please come back here to let us know if it happens again.  :D

Remah

For the record, I'm another Windows 7 64-bit user who lost PL activation. I had stopped PL many months ago to allow me to test some software. I finally restarted PL today and got the nag almost immediately.

Thanks for the activation lookup and password reset were handy once I guessed which email account I had registered with.

edkiefer

I guess you were running one of older version that had this issue.

I have not had a issue since this report and fix, should be good to go now for everyone up to date (which should be all :)  ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Glad you got it going.

What we'll probably offer here soon is an even simpler 'email me my license codes' link...

Also also the new site will have it's own license tracking.