Main Menu

Tool Tips?

Started by chris635, September 05, 2015, 08:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris635

Hey Guys,

After about a day or so, when I hover over the system tray icons, the tool tips don't show in the system tray. I am on windows 10. As you can see, I am hovered over Process Lasso and it doesn't show the tool tips. This is for every icon in the system tray. Would you guys have any idea what causes this? If I reboot my machine everything works fine.

Chris
Chris

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on September 05, 2015, 09:22:41 AM
I don't know if this will help but i read this while ago .

http://winaero.com/blog/enable-balloon-notifications-in-windows-10-and-disable-toasts/
I think it may not helps, as it is about notification, which is a difference issues than Tool Tips.
---
I am not sure about this tool tips issues...

Try this one? Even it is for Windows 7.
http://superuser.com/questions/624080/windows-7-system-tray-icon-tooltips-dont-show

chris635

I'm now thinking it was APC Powerchute for my battery back up. Will know for sure in about a day or so. I'm running three other machines with out the problem, and they all set up the same, except for powerchute. I was looking around and it's not updated for windows 10 yet. So we will see what happens.

Chris
Chris

Hotrod

This is the exact same issue I mentioned in another thread about Windows 10. There is a registry setting that is only set on certain machines, others have the registry entry set so that tooltips show. It is done when W10 is installed/upgraded, because MS was mistaken about wether these devices would be used as tablets or not. I got this information directly from the Window 10 support forum where a certified W10 support person advocated editing the registry to fix this, and gave directions on how. I offered to give this information, everybody thought that "Windows did this on purpose, so we don't mess with the registry." I am here to tell you that the W10 development team makes mistakes too. This is NOT working as intended and it CAN be fixed. Let me know when you want the REAL solution.

P.S. I have used this on 2 machines both used to be Win7x64 and were upgraded to W10. It really does work, although certain system events seam to make it intermittently stop working, usually a few mouse moves over the notification icon fixes it and if that doesn't work they come back after the next reboot. I am considering checking out this group policy fix to see if that is the culprit.

chris635

It looks like it was powerchute causing. Hotrod..what reg hacks did you use..you may want to pm me with it though.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Hotrod on September 07, 2015, 06:44:38 PM
This is the exact same issue I mentioned in another thread about Windows 10. There is a registry setting that is only set on certain machines, others have the registry entry set so that tooltips show. It is done when W10 is installed/upgraded, because MS was mistaken about wether these devices would be used as tablets or not. I got this information directly from the Window 10 support forum where a certified W10 support person advocated editing the registry to fix this, and gave directions on how. I offered to give this information, everybody thought that "Windows did this on purpose, so we don't mess with the registry." I am here to tell you that the W10 development team makes mistakes too. This is NOT working as intended and it CAN be fixed. Let me know when you want the REAL solution.

P.S. I have used this on 2 machines both used to be Win7x64 and were upgraded to W10. It really does work, although certain system events seam to make it intermittently stop working, usually a few mouse moves over the notification icon fixes it and if that doesn't work they come back after the next reboot. I am considering checking out this group policy fix to see if that is the culprit.
Thank for the info.
So what is the use for tablet mode then. ::)

Stevens

haha not quite sure what the tablet mode is for now? hmmmm
Thanks for infos though!

BenYeeHua

So I guess Windows 10 has 2 mode, tablet+touch mode, and also PC+Tablet+Touch mode(the default mode) which causing issues. ;D

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

sumo7

ah, hate it when annoying little things mess up something :/ Did you work out a solution?

BenYeeHua

I guess the solution is always reinstall Windows, but not upgrade it. :P
A lot of people saying that, reinstall Windows 10 fixed a lot of issues, so I guess they need to doing a bit better to reset the Windows own settings without affecting installed software.