smartTrim - allow minimum MB thresholds for individual apps

Started by 4EverMaAT, December 10, 2015, 10:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4EverMaAT

I noticed that there is just one global MB memory working set threshold before ST takes action to trim memory.  Some apps use more memory than others and some apps actually need more active use of the RAM than others.  So I think the custom list to exclude apps should be expanded so that users can not just take an all or nothing approach.  But define Minimum process working set for ST to act for individual apps.  this can be lower than the global setting.

I saw that the global setting was too large.  But that some apps legitimately used the working set better than others at different amounts of MB

ST is on the right track.  But individual trim thresholds per app would be better for especially server users.

BenYeeHua

I think maybe this feature can adding into Watch Dog?
Just adding a new action like "Active/Run Smart Trim" when the memory usage is reached. :)

edkiefer

you can do it now , I have been messing with it on browser.
just set process name, for virtual memory , greater than , xxx Mb, time Xsec , the trim virtual memory . I liked to use working set type but that would depend on app.
Bitsum QA Engineer

4EverMaAT

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 11, 2015, 09:34:40 AM
I think maybe this feature can adding into Watch Dog?
Just adding a new action like "Active/Run Smart Trim" when the memory usage is reached. :)
Quote from: edkiefer on December 11, 2015, 10:39:45 AM
you can do it now , I have been messing with it on browser.
just set process name, for virtual memory , greater than , xxx Mb, time Xsec , the trim virtual memory . I liked to use working set type but that would depend on app.

ok.  I found the WatchDog.  I can suggest a few improvements:

1) I have several installations of a similar software running simultaneously.  So the process name can appear multiple times from multiple installation folders (terminal.exe).  So can your software link to a specific process in a specific path?  Or does the search only search by process name and trim (or take action) on all processes with the same name that meet the criteria?

2) can the action(s) be delayed until a certain time of the day each day (or windows of time during the day) or a certain day(s) of the week?  I might want to wait until the weekend to do certain maintenance.

2b) can multiple actions be taken on a single process, in a specific order?  Like trim process memory AND THEN stop processing rules?

edkiefer

No, AFAIK path is not supported yet per process and neither is rest , its not that indepth of value types.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

The Watchdog rules, which are so often overlooked, are something we plan to expand on greatly going forward. The problem is that everyone wants something different, so we end up with either a never-ending collection of rules and attributes, or some sort of simplistic scripting language. I haven't decided which path to take, to be honest. If the former, I'll just draw the line where my best judgement lies.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

4EverMaAT

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 12, 2015, 03:02:21 PM
The Watchdog rules, which are so often overlooked, are something we plan to expand on greatly going forward. The problem is that everyone wants something different, so we end up with either a never-ending collection of rules and attributes, or some sort of simplistic scripting language. I haven't decided which path to take, to be honest. If the former, I'll just draw the line where my best judgement lies.

Ok.  Definitely allow some checkbox for individual apps linked to exact file paths so that multiple instances of the same app can be managed independently.  I hope you do that sooner rather than later.