Error activating or auto-updating software in XP

Started by ellison, March 28, 2016, 12:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellison

Im getting a server error when trying to activate error.I can update the software fine ,but not activate it.I thought it may be firewall but I cant activate when thats disabled ,and as I say it updates fine.Im using xp pro sp3
Tia

edkiefer

That is odd ,I just did a update and activation w/o issues.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Disregard my prior notice, which would have applied to anyone else.

Your trouble may stem from the server configuration and the internet-wide deprecation of SSLv3. XP's native IE is the only browser left that needs it. I think this is what is happening.

Please contact me at support@bitsum.com to get this resolved.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Actually, when I went to check, it could also been some changes to the allowed SSL cryptographic algorithms (speed optimization). I've adjusted those and invite you to try again. If it still doesn't work, then the issue is the SSL at our perimeter, which I can get you around.

ellison

Hi..
Thanks for replies.Ive just tried activation again ,but same server error.I didn't realize ,process lasso used IE to activate?.
In any case Ill contact you directly with my details.Thanks again for great support.
ellison

Suetonius

Hi, same problem here. My OS is Windows XP Professional. Unable to activate. Web server not accessible. Update function doesn't work properly. No update available although new update exists. So what is the solution? Thanks in advance

Jeremy Collake

This is due to the deprecation of SSLv3. I am entertaining a few potential solutions. However, immediate help can be had by contacting us at support@bitsum.com . If you have a pending ticket, I'll be responding in minutes.

Jeremy Collake

A probable, but experimental, resolution to this problem is now in-place. We'll see how it goes. Only a small percentage of users (mostly XP) were ever affected.

Hotrod

I had noticed this on my XP machines but after manually updating successfully one or two times I had wondered if maybe this was intentional since XP doesn't gain much from some of the more recent features. I will try an auto-update later this evening and report back on it's success or failure. :)

Hotrod

My XP systems are still stuck at 8.9.6.8 the last manual update done, while my Win10 systems are at 8.9.7.6.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, I realized after I posted that I need to make a couple other in-product modifications. This means that it may take the next update before this all starts working (so you'll have to update before it works). So, the work here goes on, but it will be resolved soon.

How long I'll care about XP, I don't know, but there does still seem to be plenty of people using it. I went to school with a guy who refused to upgrade from Windows 95. To each his own. I personally love change, so like seeing the latest OS offerings, even if they aren't always on target (e.g. Vista and Win8). I find Windows 10 to be pretty damn nice, and I know people can debate that, but that's my opinion, and the opinion of many. Those who worry about it's telemetry (privacy) ironically forget their cloud connected cell phones and such. Microsoft doesn't get a fair shake when it comes to critics sometimes.

BenYeeHua

Yup, just look at your Android phone that having Google Services running all the time, Smart Phone know more than your Computer. ;)

Jeremy Collake

After analyzing this problem a bit more, I am going to be addressing it in the next Process Lasso v8 minor update. I'll make temporary changes to the server to allow XP users to migrate, then revert those changes later. This will happen in the near future as apparently there are still more XP users out there than I estimated.

Hotrod

My XP systems updated correctly today to 8.9.8.10 and one license activation was successful.  :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on May 24, 2016, 12:28:02 AM
My XP systems updated correctly today to 8.9.8.10 and one license activation was successful.  :)

Excellent to hear ;). I had to allow fall-back to non-SSL in Windows XP (only). It's of little consequence to end users though.

It will be interesting to see just how long Windows XP remains in the market place. If Microsoft hadn't moved so aggressively to phase it out, it would probably still be huge.

It is a real pain to keep supporting XP, so I hope there are enough paying users to make it worthwhile ;).