Error setting up after alpha installation on windows 7.

Started by SHJordan, July 19, 2010, 03:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHJordan

This is a screenshot of the error:

I'm using latest alpha version on x86 system (3.99.5 Alpha)

How can i fix it? Will there be any problem when system start? I mean, will the program be started with it?

Jeremy Collake

I am still investigating what is causing this to occur on some systems. To check to see if Process Lasso will be starting at login, open the Windows 'Task Scheduler' (re: not Task Manager). This Task Scheduler will show tasks scheduled to start at login and upon other events. You can manually create an entry for Process Lasso if you wish.

Alternatively, you can re-run the installer and select 'Normal' rights instead of 'Highest' rights. This will allow Process Lasso to start normally, as it uses the registry instead of the Task Scheduler when run with Normal rights (because there is no need to use the Task Scheduler).

I hope to have this resolved in an alpha/beta build very soon.

Thank you
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

SHJordan

Quote from: jeremy.collake on July 19, 2010, 05:36:09 PM
I am still investigating what is causing this to occur on some systems. To check to see if Process Lasso will be starting at login, open the Windows 'Task Scheduler' (re: not Task Manager). This Task Scheduler will show tasks scheduled to start at login and upon other events. You can manually create an entry for Process Lasso if you wish.

Alternatively, you can re-run the installer and select 'Normal' rights instead of 'Highest' rights. This will allow Process Lasso to start normally, as it uses the registry instead of the Task Scheduler when run with Normal rights (because there is no need to use the Task Scheduler).

I hope to have this resolved in an alpha/beta build very soon.

Thank you

How can I manually create the entry on the Windows 7 Task Scheduler?

Can you give me some light here?

I don't wanna change to normal rights. =\

Jeremy Collake

Hi,

This page will give you a good tutorial, step by step: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616

I wonder if the problem is your user account permissions, as that seems the most likely cause of the failure to automatically create this entry for you. If your user account is one of a 'Limited user', then you may want to try installing Process Lasso with a user account that has administrative rights. Another possibility is third-party security software on your computer may be interfering. Process Lasso is well tested on Windows 7, so it isn't a problem seen by everyone (though I have had other reports of it). That is just a guess as to why it failed though. It is new code and I'm still working on it.

You can also switch to the older final build, v3.84.6. This build will run with Highest Rights at startup, but will show UAC prompts.

Thanks

SHJordan

Quote from: jeremy.collake on July 19, 2010, 05:54:29 PM
Hi,

This page will give you a good tutorial, step by step: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616

I wonder if the problem is your user account permissions, as that seems the most likely cause of the failure to automatically create this entry for you. If your user account is one of a 'Limited user', then you may want to try installing Process Lasso with a user account that has administrative rights. Another possibility is third-party security software on your computer may be interfering. Process Lasso is well tested on Windows 7, so it isn't a problem seen by everyone (though I have had other reports of it). That is just a guess as to why it failed though. It is new code and I'm still working on it.

You can also switch to the older final build, v3.84.6. This build will run with Highest Rights at startup, but will show UAC prompts.

Thanks

No, i'm the only owner of this computer. No other accounts. I'm using VIPRE Antivirus Premium, if that helps...

Just wanna know, what program should i start with highest privigeles: ProcessLasso or ProcessGovernor?

Besides I like this version so much because it is lesser intrusive, no UAC prompts like the other one.

Jeremy Collake

The easiest way to set it up is ONLY to put an entry for ProcessLasso.exe and run it with Highest rights. It will automatically launch ProcessGovernor, also with highest rights. If you do put both of them, then launch both with highest rights.

SHJordan

Quote from: jeremy.collake on July 19, 2010, 06:42:49 PM
The easiest way to set it up is ONLY to put an entry for ProcessLasso.exe and run it with Highest rights. It will automatically launch ProcessGovernor, also with highest rights. If you do put both of them, then launch both with highest rights.

Thank you, that solves my issue. Will just run PL.exe so... cause using two my antivirus not started properly.

johnw

The problem is still in a latter version still alpha 3.99.9 Alpha on windows 7.

Jeremy Collake

It seems a likely cause is when an 'administrators' group is not found. I'm curious, on non-English versions of Windows 7, is this group named something else (in your own language)? I probably need to change the way I resolve it, so I don't assume the group name is in English.

Thanks.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, the problem WAS that non-english installs of Windows do not use the group name 'Administrators'.  I have worked around this, and have now a fixed build I'm creating and uploading in a few minutes (v3.99.17).

UPDATE: v3.99.17 beta has been released. If any user still sees this error, or another, please report it so I can get it fixed up for you.