Set different affinities for multiple instances of the same process

Started by JayDubya, September 13, 2018, 08:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDubya

Greetings, all,

I have a rather unique question that I haven't yet been able to find an answer to. I have a dual e5-2670 system that I sometimes use to encode my media library into h265 via HandBrake. Handbrake doesn't seem to scale particularly well above 8 processor cores and thus, I find I get better performance overall if I have 2 simultaneous instances of HandBrake open each running their own separate encodes with affinities for the cores on separate CPU. The problem is that whenever I buy a new boxed set of a tv show or a series and thus have multiple jobs queued up on each instance, the processor affinity for each instance resets upon starting the next encode in the queue. Is there any way that process lasso can a.) detect the number of instances of a process running already running, b.) detect the affinity of those already running processes, and c.) set the affinity of a new instance to the cores upon which an instance is not already running?

thanks!

Jeremy Collake

It is serependitious that you ask about this. A feature is almost done that may assist. Please hold for further information. I will try to push out a  beta very shortly.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.