v9 build 522 - changes to high performance process / mode

Started by lastninja, November 10, 2018, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastninja

Hi, I noticed in latest stable build assigning 'gaming mode' or 'high performance process' mode has changed.

It nows seems to say / think it will be able to automagically assign what is high performance.

To manually add, now instead of right clicking and selecting 'classify as a high performance process', now I need to do the following to get to a screen where I can add the processes into the high performance list:
Options -> Performance Mode Settings -> Designate High Performance Processes... -> ... -> windows explorer dialog box to find process -> open button -> 'Add' button -> ok button

I miss the easier ability of right clicking previously - could this possibly come back? Or am I missing the option nested in a new name in the right click menu? It is nice that it is now possible to add processes that are not currently running, as sometimes I would have trouble alt-tabbing out of a game in order to assign it as high priority (some games block view when you try alt-tabbing, can use windows 10 start menu and taskbar but opening things and they show up 'behind' the game screen, so can't use/see them). So it is nice to have that feature, but being able to easier assign currently running processes to performance/game mode would be useful imo. I generally add every game I play (and I have thousands of games) so it is a lot of work to add them one by one - I need the easier right click option for my sanity.

If the process does automagically add stuff that IS good - but I just don't trust it to do it for everything I would like. I don't add TOO many things to high process - just media players like winamp and pot player, steam overlay (can freeze games sometimes lagging a bit so figured worth adding as high performance), dj programs like serato scratch live and whatever games I play.

I am not sure whether 'icue' corsair keyboard program should be added, I'm not sure if this program even has any effect on the keyboard (maybe it is just for lighting and macros) but I am paranoid so I added it. It's very light task though so I don't feel too bad having it run high performance mode, alongside winamp, alongside pot player, alongside also a game (potentially all open at the same). I guess I am trying to say I try to not add too many things as high performance that run simultaneously and often, just for stuff which really needs highest responsiveness or games that always need maximum CPU power (especially from my wheezing/aging AMD x965 phenom II black).

Also what is 'induce performance mode' - is that the option I am looking for?

Lastly, I would recommend adding an faq/document section dealing with realtime multimedia in more detail - I am a DJ so configuring my laptop to run best for Serato DJ Pro, Serato Scratch Live and Traktor is the most important thing for me, to run audio without other things interfering, and to reduce likelihood of USB dropouts.

edkiefer

Hi, Thanks for the report, I do believe you found a bug there, with classifying a performance process mode with right click.

Will get back to you on that.

On your usage question, game/performance mode should be used sparingly, mainly with an app that is primarily focused like games, photoshop, video editing etc.
Something like Winamp should be fine on its own "maybe" set higher priority if there are sound issues when it is running in the background.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Grr... This was something I, somehow, missed. Of course, I was not expecting what was intended to be a simple string change to have broken anything. Seems to have been a 'typographic' mistake not caught in code review.

'Induce performance mode' is supposed to be a simple replacement of 'Classify as as high performance process'. Whether the new text is better is questionable, but it is/was part of a larger effort to clean up the product's menus and - also - documentation.

There was no intention of a fundamental change in behavior.

I'll get it addressed ASAP.

Thanks for the report!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

It is fixed now in 9.0.0.526b, final will come out shortly.

New menu string is "induce performance mode" = old "classify as a high-performance process"
Bitsum QA Engineer

lastninja

Quote from: edkiefer on November 10, 2018, 02:25:35 PM
Hi, Thanks for the report, I do believe you found a bug there, with classifying a performance process mode with right click.

Will get back to you on that.

On your usage question, game/performance mode should be used sparingly, mainly with an app that is primarily focused like games, photoshop, video editing etc.
Something like Winamp should be fine on its own "maybe" set higher priority if there are sound issues when it is running in the background.

Sometimes winamp running higher quality files will have audible glitches if another program like Serato DJ Pro is doing file analysis and hogging the CPU, so to get around it I generally set the both to high performance mode - Serato DJ Pro uses all four of my cores for analysing 4 audio files at a time, so I set winamp high performance. I tried only setting winamp (and not Serato DJ Pro) but found the scanning going quite slow, so figured having both set high performance might yield some benefit .. it's only once every few months that I will scan say 20,000 files, taking a few hours, and want to be able to listen while I am doing that  (to other drive's storage music files, always different to the one being analysed)

Thanks so much for the speedy update, grabbed it today, right click is working again :)
Induce performance mode makes sense, just a little confusing when the high performance power plan having a similar name, but makes more sense now than when it was 'gaming' mode I think!

Thank you for all your amazing work - I never DJ on my laptop without process lasso the past years, just to feel safe that some win 10 background process isn't going to mess with my USB audio output during a concert. I use it on my desktop too for gaming, photoshop, analysing and processing files. I try to recommend it to everyone and mention that it is useful for archaic boxes as much as it is for the latest.

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thank you for reporting this glitch! It was a simple resource ID that had gotten messed up. Embarrassing.

I miss Winamp ;). Or at least the older versions before it got so heavy. For professional audio users, I'm sure it is still a staple, but less so for average audio blokes like me.

The nomenclature is slowly getting better I think. We had to abandon 'Gaming Mode' when Windows 10 introduced its own.

Please let us know if you encounter any further troubles or have any suggestions.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.