Anti cheat software...

Started by Stubbsyy, January 21, 2019, 02:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stubbsyy

When you try to change settings in Process Lasso when the game has a Anti cheat software it doesnt let you... Is there anyway to get around this?

Jeremy Collake

I am afraid not. It is ridiculous these anti-cheat systems even watch process settings.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Stubbsyy

So process Lasso is useless when a game has a anti cheat software in them?

edkiefer

Quote from: Stubbsyy on January 21, 2019, 02:49:31 PM
So process Lasso is useless when a game has a anti cheat software in them?
I guess it depends on what you're trying to do and the game.
I never had issues with priority or affinity in Battlefield series (BF4, BF1, BFv).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

No, it is not useless. You can still use the system-wide settings like Performance Mode, and ProBalance will continue to handle problematic background processes to boost responsiveness.

edkiefer

Yes, you actually should limit what tweaks to the foreground process as much more can affect with background processes.
Bitsum QA Engineer

MayraKufman

Is Punkbuster (the anti-cheat service) safe??
I had bought battlefield bad company 2 for pc and then I installed punkbuster, so when I did, shortly after my dvd drive stopped working. Is this just a coincidence or is there https://arydigital.tv/category/ary-digital-dramas/ something wrong with the software?
Update: It didn't work with any disc.

edkiefer

Quote from: MayraKufman on February 25, 2019, 06:52:02 AM
Is Punkbuster (the anti-cheat service) safe??
I had bought battlefield bad company 2 for pc and then I installed punkbuster, so when I did, shortly after my dvd drive stopped working. Is this just a coincidence or is there https://arydigital.tv/category/ary-digital-dramas/ something wrong with the software?
I run a few BF series, BF1, BF4 and BFV all install PunkBuster, so yes it is an anti-cheat software. For me, it is always running in the background but I never had an issue with it.
I do have DVD drive and works AFAIK.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Calypto

The game will inherit the settings from its parent (the anti cheat software). Set the anti cheat's priority/affinity etc. while the game is launching and it will transfer to the game.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Calypto on March 08, 2019, 03:55:20 AM
The game will inherit the settings from its parent (the anti cheat software). Set the anti cheat's priority/affinity etc. while the game is launching and it will transfer to the game.

Great tip!

I should have also noted that 'Forced mode' (in Options menu) will also resolve some conflicts. As Ed said, it depends on the anti-cheat software and/or game.

edkiefer

For me the launcher program can be set if you have problems, that might help with some anti-cheat.
So you could try setting some troubled setting to Origin, Steam, Uplay etc, just remember these will run in background longer than the game.
Bitsum QA Engineer

vijhoni62

Is Punkbuster (the anti-cheat service) safe? I had bought battlefield bad company 2 for pc and then I installed punkbuster, so when I did, shortly after my dvd drive stopped working. Is this just a coincidence or is there something wrong with the software?

edkiefer

Quote from: vijhoni62 on April 23, 2019, 09:00:29 AM
Is Punkbuster (the anti-cheat service) safe? I had bought battlefield bad company 2 for pc and then I installed punkbuster, so when I did, shortly after my dvd drive stopped working. Is this just a coincidence or is there something wrong with the software?
I don't know, I don't use my CDROM /DVD drive much but just checked a few disk's and the only issue I found is auto-play didn't open/run, I had to open from files and run whatever type of media it was.
Tested with MPG vid and a Samsung software disk.
You could always close the processes and then install on DVD, then reboot or restart punkbuster. I have had it installed since BF4 days, so around 2013.
Bitsum QA Engineer

JordanTes

Have you had any issues with it since then, Ed?

edkiefer

no, there must be millions of Origin installed on systems.
Bitsum QA Engineer

james zordan

Yes, I face the same issue in non-changing of settings in lasso process due to Anti-cheat software. But it's not a useless for us. I agree with Jeremy Collake we can use the system background settings to enhance or increase our responsive quality. Also we have to disabled it by following some steps.

thejoi

Coldblackice

Quote from: Calypto on March 08, 2019, 03:55:20 AM

I agree, this is a great tip.

I'm not very familiar with game protection software dynamics (so this doesn't concern me), but personally I'd be worried about game protection software getting angry over a third-party software intervening and reporting it as a cheat, even if it's something as benign as changing affinities/priorities -- perhaps that could be seen as trying to limit the anti-cheat/protection ability of the program by reducing its priority.

Anyway, if anyone knows how the protection/anti-cheat programs work generally, it'd be enlightening to hear, but I'm more than fine with PL playing it safe and not touching those programs.