Process disappeared after suspension, now unable to resume.

Started by Wrenarok, November 20, 2019, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrenarok

I have suspended DCS.exe which is the process for Digital Combat Simulator, running the latest stable version.

Prior to suspending DCS.exe, I have set it's affinity via Current, to 0 and 1, as well as setting OBS64.exe to Current affinity to 3 and 4.

I'm running this currently with Core i7 3820 with hyperthreading disabled, on a machine Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 (1607 - 14393).

The big problem is, the process cannot be resumed via Resource Monitor nor Process Explorer.

History, the only thing that changed is probably GPU drivers and the DCS version, which updates come for almost every month if not twice a month.
I might have to check logs for what was the previous verison of, but I did use the same version from months ago when I did a lot of DCS testing for a few weeks, at least I think so, I think it was .1 instead of .4. - I updated it via autoupdate a few moments ago, but didn't change anything regarding to this.

edkiefer

Hi, Did you use Process Lasso to suspend DCS.exe, if so try using it to unsuspend it?

That option shouldn't be used to tame performance, cause I am not sure all programs support that option.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Wrenarok

I forgot to mention, I had deleted a line before posting, the DCS.exe process disappeared from all the lists in Process Lasso.

----------

I have figured it could be the ProcessGovernor process running in background that keeps enforcing the settings, after a few hours of idle, and noumerous attempts, I killed ProcessGovernor and then it appeared to be unsuspended, but it was broken, the Process Explorer did show some activity and suspension wasn't re-enabled in a few moments like before, but the CPU usage was too low, about 0.2 when it's usually 14-25%, the program was still practically suspended so I had no choice to kill it after running out of all ideas.

edkiefer

Quote from: Wrenarok on November 20, 2019, 03:24:05 PM
I forgot to mention, I had deleted a line before posting, the DCS.exe process disappeared from all the lists in Process Lasso.

----------

I have figured it could be the ProcessGovernor process running in background that keeps enforcing the settings, after a few hours of idle, and noumerous attempts, I killed ProcessGovernor and then it appeared to be unsuspended, but it was broken, the Process Explorer did show some activity and suspension wasn't re-enabled in a few moments like before, but the CPU usage was too low, about 0.2 when it's usually 14-25%, the program was still practically suspended so I had no choice to kill it after running out of all ideas.
Right, you will notice only windows OS based programs (UWP) mainly support suspend and be able to wake up by themselves.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Wrenarok

I have been suspending the same process for years with Resource Monitor, I happend to do it through Process Lasso today. And the process in question was never UWP and probably never will be.

Jeremy Collake

The reason the process disappeared from Process Lasso after suspension was due toe 'Options / Hide suspended processes' being unchecked. Check it, and you'll be able to see and resume the suspended process within Process Lasso. This is now the default (to show suspended) but older installs may still have them hidden.

There seems to be some issue with resuming a process suspended by Process Lasso in the Resource Monitor. I will investigate and resolve that. Thank you for letting us know.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

The suspend/resume function has been improved in 9.4.0.51 beta, and will now properly interoperate with the Resource Monitor.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.