Issues running governor-as-service with limited rights user

Started by ranko, January 04, 2020, 07:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranko

Happy new year.

Some nasty issues, starting to nerve a little and I do not know what to do anymore to get rid of it, would appreviate your kind help.

I had some issues that special settings for X4.exe have not been remembered.
Or when I selected CPU affinity "always" for the X4.exe process and want to use the last 8 threads or whatever it was not remembered, whenever I looked at it again, different cores were selected compared to those I just choosed seconds ago.

So I tried to start over and removed all (2) profiles with the manage profile function.

Now I seem to have and use only the default profile, as in Profile Manager I get in the list no profile displayed.

But even now I get getting this message after login:
Warning: the configuration file is not writeable. Please check the path via "Options / General / Reconfigure the Way Process Lasso Starts".

I am starting PL as a service and didn't changes the proposed path, pretty default.

If I want to manage profiles I always get the message box "Use of multiple configuration profiles when the governor is running as service is not yet supported. The GUI may be referencing a different configuration file than the Governor, causing rules not to be reflected or enforced. Continue anyway ?"

Also a problem when performing frequent Beta updates, then the updater complains about not being able to save some files (although I entered Administrator password, thus the updater should have required credentials.

At the moment PL feels to me as if this tool is currently in a bad shape. Operation is not as smooth as it used to be.
Is this because I am running a Beta version ?

I do this because I hope that some other issues are quicker gone by this which I reported some weeks ago in the area of Idle saver not working, when running PL as service.

At the beginning I scratched only on the surface what PL can do.
Now where I want to use some more of the special features of PL, I run into issues and even upgrades do not run cleanly.
So .. could you kindly give me advice, which version of PL gives me most control over "most if not all" processes on the system
and does not have all these issues, that settings are not being remembered correctly, permission problems, ..

System: Windows 7 Pro (with latest updates)
PL: 9.5.1.0
Xeon E5-1680v4 | Supermicro X10SRi-F | 64GB DDR4 ECC | MSI RTX4070 Ventus | X710-DA2 | Win10 Pro 22H2

edkiefer

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.
On the Gov as a service, there are some limiting factors at this time. You should get a message if opening configuration manager that Gov as a service doesn't support multiple configs (so use default).
Now the default path should be config " C:\ProgramData\ProcessLasso\config" and log "C:\ProgramData\ProcessLasso\log"  in configuration startup settings.

I have a testbed here setup like above and affinity, priorities are working fine with always settings.

On beta's again I am not seeing any issues, I update each beta, but I will look into it some more on your specific issues.

Edit: I see you are on windows 7, that could be a difference from my report above as I test in windows 10.
We will get back to you.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I am sorry for your experiences.

All of your problems stem from running the governor-as-a-service in combination with a limited rights (standard) user.  The bottom line is that this particular configuration scenario is the least well supported. So while these problems aren't just you, they are also not common.

You are most likely comparing your experience to the time before you switched to governor as a service. The issues you've encountered are not new, and support for this setup has actually been improving (hence the new warnings instead of silent failures). Therefore, there is no older 'better' build to go back to.

Running the governor as a service comes with trade-offs. You shouldn't do it unless there is a need. It is great for multi-user servers, but not so great for home users. especially limited rights users.

You could switch to an administrative user to manage all system processes when running the governor as a normal process. However, I would first question whether those processes really need managed.

The default config path when using the governor as a service is not writable by limited rights users, which is why you see the 'not writable' error. You could change this to a path under your user folder to resolve it.

The sporadic update issues are similarly related to lmited user with governor-as-service. We are evaluating that.

In the case of IdleSaver, it is not a simple bug, but due to the Windows architecture. The adjustment required to work around the issue might cause more problems than it solves, and ParkControl could be deployed to fill the IdleSaver role. Therefore, this adjustment is still being considered.

The config profile support will return to the governor-as-a-service once some multi-user complexities are worked out. This work has to be done deliberately.

The setting persistence issues you previously reported boiled down to not having write access to the INI, and not being warned about such. Now you are warned about this, attempted profile use, and IdleSaver with the governor-as-a-service.

You should uninstall Process Lasso and re-install it to clear things up, using the default normal process governor, then stay on the stable branch. You can 'File / Export' your configuration before doing this, then import it after the re-install.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

ranko

From my perspective PL is a tool, that allows the user to customize process scheduling on a system.

I think controlling process scheduling makes only sense, if you can control ALL processes and threads on a system, not only those which were started by the user.

Example: pinning i.e. a process to CPU 3-6 makes IMHO only sense if the remainder of all processes avoid to use CPU 3-6.
Therefore I think I need to have as much as possible under the control of PL.

Yes I am running Windows 7 and this will stay. I do not like/trust Win10 for several aspects.

For security reasons I am running a user without administrative rights and this should stay.
I could change the rights for the folder or use a different folder if that would solve the issues to store settings ??
Or would it be a solution to i.e. run PL under the user credentials of "Administrator" account ?
Or another PL dedicated user account with Admin rights ?
But I wouldn't like having to enter an admin password each time the process starts.

Then the only remaining issue would be to run "Idle Saver", but if I remember correctly this you wanted to fix.
How far is this, can you roughly estimate when this would be available, because I really liked this feature.

Many thanks for your quick and kind response.
Xeon E5-1680v4 | Supermicro X10SRi-F | 64GB DDR4 ECC | MSI RTX4070 Ventus | X710-DA2 | Win10 Pro 22H2

Jeremy Collake

I agree this configuration scenario is important, which is why it is being steadily improved.

Given your preferences, I advise to make sure that configuration and log path is changed to somewhere writable by your limited user, then just hang in there with governor as a service. We can continue to use you as a guinea pig and fix issues you report.

I am also going to start testing this scenario much more thoroughly going forward.

The IdleSaver solution could be rolled out any time. I finished core work on it several days ago, but am researching alternate solutions that don't require an agent in each interactive session.

ranko

Phantastic, thanks for testing and rolling energy saving out.

Regarding Energy consumption (E5-1650v3, MSI RTX 2070 SUPER TRIO X):
Energy Profile High Performance: Playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 304W 1,33A, max 423W (Full HD resolution and highest detail).
Energy Profile High Performance: IDLE: tweaked by parkcontrol to disable cpu core parking and running at 3,6  GHz:  106W 0,49A
Energy Profile Balanced: tweaked by parkcontrol to park 50% of cores and running at 2.5 GHz (instead of 3.6 GHz): 85W 0,41A
Lowest Power settings:  tweaked by parkcontrol to park max amount of cores and running at lowest clock speed 1.2 GHz: 79W 0,39A

Energy saving would save around 27W on an IDLE system (between High Performance vs Energy Saving).

Jeremy Collake

I finished and integrated the new per-session agent into Process Lasso.

After some early testing, it will be introduced in the next beta version - then IdleSaver will work in your setup.

I'll post here when the beta version is available.

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso v9.6.0.1 beta includes the new session agent.

Integration work was extensive, so further refinement is certain.

ranko

ranko

V9.6.0.1 BETA

Sorry but it does not seem to work, when enabling IDLE saver I get this message when IDLE saver should change the energy profile to "energy saving".
But it doesn't and this is in the log:

processgovernor.exe
Action: IdleSaver has changed the power profile
More Info: Error - Energy Saver disabled, Governor as Service incompatible

Jeremy Collake

That doesn't sound like this new version - that log entry was removed.

I wonder if your governor failed to get replaced.

You might want to try running the full installer from https://dl.bitsum.com/files/beta/processlassosetup64.exe

That said, we're taking a closer look at it and still early, so there could be some issue we haven't found yet.

ranko

Hi Idlesaver still doesnt work.

I even shutdown core engine and PL before installing from full installer and even performed a full reset of options.

My PC is in balanced mode, I configure Idlesaver to turn the PC into energy saving after 10sec.

I do not move the mouse, the system is Idle. But it still doesn't work.

If you want to see with your own eyes or want to have a look yourself we can arrance for a teamviewer session if you can't reproduce this on your system
and if this would help you qualifying and eventually finding the issue. My TZ is GMT+1.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, I believe you. There may be some additional factor.

Please check the following:

1. Ensure bitsumsessionagent.exe is running in your user session.
2. 'Options / Power / Configure IdleSaver settings / Disable while Performance Mode' is engaged is UNCHECKED.

If the issue persists after a few more builds, I'll send a debug build so we can trace what is happening.

Thanks for testing and we'll get it sorted out!

ranko

Jeremy Collake

Also note:

Did you change the configuration file path so that it is accessible by your limited user? If not, changes to the configuration will not persist or be adopted by the governor.

You must move this away from ProgramData (the default with service).

For the sake of experimentation, set it to 'c:\Users\ranko\ProcessLasso' or similar.

ranko

Sorry, had PSU issues with my system that needed attention.

Runing PL as service and using a different path to store configs works for me as normal not-admin user.
So thats a feasible solution.

Any progress meanwhile in terms of
- software upgrade issues and
- idleserver when using PL as service ?

Regarding IDLE server some progress ?
I am currently running version 9.6.0.8 BETA (Engine version: 4550700), PL as service, there it still doesn't work.

Jeremy Collake

Not sure why IdleSaver still isn't working for you, it is so far in our tests. I will enable debug output and instruct soon, then we will find out what is going on. If it begins to work at any point, let us know.

Importantly, yesterday's beta versions had a build problem that caused a failure to find new updates, so you should download and reinstall (over-top) the beta 9.6.0.17 to ensure you continue to get them.

This work will be continuing and I will update this thread with anything pertainent.

ranko

Jeremy Collake

Upon testing in a fresh Windows 7 install, I found that the new session agent was not statically linked, causing it to fail to start if MSVC runtime DLLs are missing. This problem was only be seen in Windows 7, as Windows 10 has them pre-installed.

9.6.0.21 beta fixes this, now available.

Once complete, you should see 'bitsumsessionagent.exe' running as a process in your user session, and IdleSaver should now work with your setup.

ranko

IDLE saver works now in 9.6.0.23 BETA when running PL as service.
Thats great, many thanks for this improvement !

Update installation still fails.

Jeremy Collake

Great to hear!

I am working on improvements to the update process in these environments.

ranko

Quick Update: I performed now an upgrade installation from Window 7 to Windows 10 1909 !!

Somebody told me that the protection from internet security suites alone would be too weak and most likely not fill the gap, that Microsoft ceased support for Windows 7. I would have bought extended support for Win7, but this is sadly only applicable for companies.

So from now on I will work with Windows 10 and use a few tools/script collection to harden/debloat my system and hope not to screw up too much by this... I implemented O&O Win10 Shutup first and will let it settle for one or two days to see, that nothing screwed up.
The next step is to try to debload the system even further by using this power shell collection, which is commented and looks very promising:
https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

One new PL upgrade report for Win10 1909

No warnings like on Windows 7, but .. the PL core engine does not restart.
Right click to the Icron in the Windows Notification Area to "Start PL core engine" does not do anything.

edkiefer

Which beta version was this, I have not seen this on my end with gov as a service?

Warning: on your debloating be very careful what type of app/scripts you use. I would generally stay away from script type app because most don't let you chose or pick what you want. Many "scripts" you will end up losing Xbox, MS Mail, calender, MS Store and may have issues with start-menu. I would make an image of OS before going further.

If you want my opinion O&O Shutup10 and their Appbuster are at top of the list, very safe just stay away from red marked ones. WPD also good and while I never used it if you must use script type one like Debotnet, that one at least lets you chose which to disable/remove.
I still would be very careful, you're not going to get any added performance it just cleans up things you don't need.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I noted the governor-as-service failing to start after an update from Limited users in yesterday's testing (it is due to the limited user, affects Win7 and Win10).

Previously, the governor wasn't stopped for limited user updates, so it is a consequence of successfully stopping and replacing the governor w/o reboot in these environments.

These items should be fixed shortly. (note update fixes take 2 updates to propagate through to an install)

Thanks for the feedback!

ranko

Could you kindly tell me the purpose of "Prevent Sleep" ?

I have a certain feeling that this doesn't work.

I assigned to MusicBee (a music player) to prevent sleep for "Prevent PC and Display".
Then I went away from my PC and the screen turned dark.

I thought that the purpose of this setting is, that to keep both on, PC and Display.

Many thanks for clarification.

This is for PL 9.6.0.51 Beta on Windows 10 1909.
It was an upgrade installation and I used OO Win10 Shutup to turn off most of the Win10 features that I dislike (Privacy, etc).

ranko

The upgrade to PL 9.6.0.55 Beta worked, many thanks :-)

edkiefer

Quote from: ranko on January 26, 2020, 04:08:39 PM
Could you kindly tell me the purpose of "Prevent Sleep" ?

I have a certain feeling that this doesn't work.

I assigned to MusicBee (a music player) to prevent sleep for "Prevent PC and Display".
Then I went away from my PC and the screen turned dark.

I thought that the purpose of this setting is, that to keep both on, PC and Display

Many thanks for clarification.

This is for PL 9.6.0.51 Beta on Windows 10 1909.
It was an upgrade installation and I used OO Win10 Shutup to turn off most of the Win10 features that I dislike (Privacy, etc).
Yes, you have that right it should keep the system awake depending on setting when that process is running.
We are testing many factors of gov as service and seems this is not working correctly, though the "keep this PC awake" from main menu does work.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I'll go ahead and fix the Prevent PC sleep in these environments, adding that capability to the new session agent. Thanks for noting that!

ranko

Thats great, many thanks.
Process Lasso Pro is such a cool product, so useful, many thanks !

ranko

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 27, 2020, 06:40:34 AM
I'll go ahead and fix the Prevent PC sleep in these environments, adding that capability to the new session agent. Thanks for noting that!

Hi Jeremy, how are you ? Any news on this topic ?

Jeremy Collake

It should already be fixed. Is it not working for you?

ranko

Was very busy, these days and waited for a response on this thread, I need to check.

ranko

Great this works now many thanks.

I see now another issue. Is it right to assume, that I should be able to see all processes if I run PL Pro as a service ?
Even as normal user ?

I have a Macrium Reflect running and do not see the process which actually performs the backup to be able to apply a high performance profile
or to prevent display going into energy saving mode.

I sorted for CPU load and I/O, but nothing shows up in both tabs "all processes" and "active processes".

I thought that I get through the GUI the ability to control all (relevant) processes.

edkiefer

Quote from: ranko on February 09, 2020, 02:55:08 PM
Great this works now many thanks.

I see now another issue. Is it right to assume, that I should be able to see all processes if I run PL Pro as a service ?
Even as normal user ?

I have a Macrium Reflect running and do not see the process which actually performs the backup to be able to apply a high performance profile
or to prevent display going into energy saving mode.

I sorted for CPU load and I/O, but nothing shows up in both tabs "all processes" and "active processes".

I thought that I get through the GUI the ability to control all (relevant) processes.
Hi, If you are Admin account you will see user and system process name in the "user" column of PL. If you are a limited user account you will only see user processes.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

As a service, the Governor is able to manage processes in all sessions. However, as a limited user, the GUI would require you "Run as administrator" to show processes in other user sessions.

You can still set rules for those processes in the config dialogs, or run the GUI as admin to list them for config.

Note that after an install or update the GUI may be running as administrator and thus temporarily show all processes.

ranko

I made some thoughts about this topic.
As you know I have a separate Administrator user, so I have no chance to see all processes with my normal user account without admin rights.

Would it perhaps be possible, to add an entry "Show Process Lasso Main Window (Admin)".
Once you execute it you get then the usual password dialog, if you have no Admin rights ... ?!

I think that would be ideal otherwise you force a user to have Admin rights which I would regard not as good.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I think having an menu option to elevate (to admin) on-demand is desirable. I'll put it on the agenda. Thanks for the continued feedback!

ranko

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on February 16, 2020, 09:55:51 AM
Yes, I think having an menu option to elevate (to admin) on-demand is desirable. I'll put it on the agenda. Thanks for the continued feedback!

Oh that would be really sweet ;)

Thanks for picking up the ball and making the product really round, highly appreciate it :-)

ranko

The status flags for certain optimizations in the "Rules Colum" under "Active Processes" is not being updated properly.

I have for MusicBee.exe "ihA0-3".

Then I start disabling the optimizations in this order:
- Priority Class to Always -> None ...
- CPU Affinity   to Always -> No default affinity
- I/O Priority    to Always -> None

But "ih" remains although the 3rd action should have deleted it.

If you change the CPU affinity then "ih" vanishes, but then you get the same issue with CPU affinity.

If you change then Priority Class, then CPU Affinity becomes properly updated, but then you have the issue with Priority Class.

It seems to me that the last remaining flag has the issue not becoming updated properly in the Rules column.

I first noticed it now in PL 9.7.0.2, but don't know / can't exclude that this was already the case in earlier versions / Betas.

My system: Win10 Pro, 1909.

Many thanks for fixing this.

edkiefer

Quote from: ranko on February 19, 2020, 03:00:33 PM
The status flags for certain optimizations in the "Rules Colum" under "Active Processes" is not being updated properly.

I have for MusicBee.exe "ihA0-3".

Then I start disabling the optimizations in this order:
- Priority Class to Always -> None ...
- CPU Affinity   to Always -> No default affinity
- I/O Priority    to Always -> None

But "ih" remains although the 3rd action should have deleted it.

If you change the CPU affinity then "ih" vanishes, but then you get the same issue with CPU affinity.

If you change then Priority Class, then CPU Affinity becomes properly updated, but then you have the issue with Priority Class.

It seems to me that the last remaining flag has the issue not becoming updated properly in the Rules column.

I first noticed it now in PL 9.7.0.2, but don't know / can't exclude that this was already the case in earlier versions / Betas.

My system: Win10 Pro, 1909.

Many thanks for fixing this.
I tried to reproduce but it works on my end.
Will test more.
Bitsum QA Engineer

ranko

This is my config file if it helps.

[Administration]
Version=4630100
ConfigPasswordMD5=
[OutOfControlProcessRestraint]
OocOn=true
ExcludeChildrenOfActiveForeground_2=false
DisableProBalanceWhenSysIdle=false
ProBalanceDropOneRandomCore=false
OocDisableCoreParkingWhileIn=false
DisableProBalanceIfSysIdleThisManyMS=30000
TotalProcessorUsageBeforeRestraint=9
PerProcessUsageBeforeRestraint=7
TimeOverQuotaBeforeRestraint=1100
PerProcessUsageForRestore=3
PlayOnRestraint=C:\WINDOWS\media\Windows Pop-up Blocked.wav
PlayOnRestore=C:\WINDOWS\media\Windows Feed Discovered.wav
MinimumTimeOfRestraint=4200
MaximumTimeOfRestraint=0
TameOnlyNormal=true
LowerToIdleInsteadOfBelowNormal=false
ExcludeServices=true
PlaySoundOnRestraint=false
PlaySoundOnRestore=false
RestrainByAffinity=false
RestraintAffinity=
ExcludeForegroundProcesses=true
DoNotLowerPriorityClass=false
RoundRobinAffinitySelection=false
LowerIOPriorityDuringRestraint=false
MatchExclusionsByPathnameToo=false
OocExclusions=
OocHardCodedExclusionOverrides=
[GUI]
ClearLogAtExit=false
ShowGraphLegend=true
ShowGraphCPU=true
ShowGraphResponsiveness=true
ShowGraphMemoryLoad=true
ShowGraphProBalanceEvents=true
ShowGraphSelectedProcessesCPUHistory=true
ProBalanceCountersOnGraph=true
ShowGraphLicenseName=true
[Advanced]
AutomaticUpdate=false
RoundRobinSkipCore0=false
[Performance]
DefaultsLevel=327942
GracefulWaitTimeInMs=5000
UpdateSpeedGUI=1000
UpdateSpeedCore=1000
ManageOnlyCurrentUser=false
ExitOnCloseWindow=false
SoundsOff=true
AggressivelyTrimProcessLassoWorkingSet=true
IsConfigWritable=true
ForcedMode=false
IgnoreProtectedProcesses=true
HideSuspendedProcesses2=false
[ForegroundBoosting]
BoostForegroundThread=false
BoostForegroundProcess=false
ForegroundBoostExclusions=
[SystemTrayIcon]
UseStaticIcon=false
ShowResponsivnessInTrayInsteadOfProcessorUsage=false
[Logging]
LogDisable=false
LogSmartTrim=true
LogCPULimiter=true
LogEmitCSV=false
LogPruning=true
LogProBalanceParkingChanges=true
LogProcessExecutions=false
LogProcessTerminations=false
LogProcessesDisallowed=true
LogDefaultPriorityAdjustments=true
LogDefaultAffinityAdjustments=true
LogProBalanceBegin=true
LogProBalanceEnd=true
LogInstanceLimitTerminations=true
LogPowerProfileChanges=true
[MemoryManagement]
SmartTrimIsEnabled=true
SmartTrimWorkingSetTrims=false
SmartTrimClearStandbyList=false
ClearStandbyFreeRAMThresholdMB=1024
ClearStandbyOnlyInPerfMode=true
SmartTrimAutoMinimumRAMLoad=65
MinimumProcessWSSInMb=196
SmartTrimIntervalMins=15
[SysTrayBalloons]
EnableSystemTrayNotification=false
BalloonTipDuration=10000
ShowBalloonsForOocPriorityRestoration=false
[ProcessAllowances]
ApplyInstanceCountLimitsToAllUsers=false
AllowedProcesses=
DisallowedProcesses=
InstanceLimitedProcesses=
InstanceManagedCPUAffinities=
ProcessThrottles=
OneTimeProcessThrottles=
CPULimitRules=
[ProcessDefaults]
DefaultPriorities=x4.exe,above normal,game.exe,above normal
DefaultIOPriorities=x4.exe,3
DefaultMemoryPriorities=
DisableThreadPriorityBoost=
DefaultAffinities=x4.exe,4-11
KeepRunningProcesses=
MatchWildcardsToPathnames=true
MatchOnCommandLine=false
[AdvancedRules]
DivideCPUPercentThresholdsBySystemCPUCount=false
ProcessorGroupExtended=
WatchdogRules2=
[GamingMode]
GamingModeEnabled=false
GamingChangePowerPlan=true
TargetPowerPlan=Bitsum Highest Performance
GamingModeEngageForSteam=true
AutomaticGamingModeProcessPaths=c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\star conflict\win64\game.exe
[MemoryManagement]
SmartTrimExclusions=
[PowerManagement]
Display=x4.exe,game.exe
PC=
[PowerSaver]
ShowNotificationWhenActivePowerSchemeChanges=true
[ProcessDefaults]
DefaultPowerSchemes=freefilesync_x64.exe;bitsum highest performance,x4.exe;bitsum highest performance,game.exe;bitsum highest performance,sidebar.exe;ausbalanciert
[PowerSaver]
PowerSaver_IdleTime=4
EnergySaverEnabled=true
EnergySaverForceActivePowerProfile=false
EnergySaverUpPowerProfileName=
EnergySaverEvents=true
DisableEnergySaverDuringGamingMode=true
PowerSaver_TargetGUID=Energiesparmodus
PowerSaver_Exclusions=

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I'll fix that in the near future, thanks for pointing it out.

The Active Processes tab wasn't given much love until the last few months, and this quirk is just something I missed.

ranko

Hi,

one process has assigned "Bitsum highest performance" energy profile and also "Induce Performance Mode" has been set,
but PL Pro stays at "Balanced".

I tried to toggle "induce performance mode" to see, whether this brings a change to performance mode -> Bitsum highest Performance.
But when disabling this option I get this error message:
"There was an error removing from the automatic Performance Mode list the path '<path_to_the_executeable>'

Next I tried to disable a power profile from the process, works and re-assigned Bitsum highest Performance.
But what happens now .. Idlesaver seems to activate Energy Saving .. hello whats this ?!

Then I try to actively enable Performance mode from the GUI under "Main -> Performance Mode enabled".
But nothing happens, the PC stays at energy saving.

Remember, for settings I am using now my user directory so permission problems should be excluded.
K:\andreas\Eigene Dokumente\process lasso\config\prolasso.ini has a timestamp of this morning, so this should work.

These settings have been performed also from the TAB "active processes" if this might be important here as well.

Win10 1909, latest Patchlevel, PL Pro 9.7.0.2.

edkiefer

Quote from: ranko on February 21, 2020, 02:39:44 AM
Hi,

one process has assigned "Bitsum highest performance" energy profile and also "Induce Performance Mode" has been set,
but PL Pro stays at "Balanced".

I tried to toggle "induce performance mode" to see, whether this brings a change to performance mode -> Bitsum highest Performance.
But when disabling this option I get this error message:
"There was an error removing from the automatic Performance Mode list the path '<path_to_the_executeable>'

Next I tried to disable a power profile from the process, works and re-assigned Bitsum highest Performance.
But what happens now .. Idlesaver seems to activate Energy Saving .. hello whats this ?!

Then I try to actively enable Performance mode from the GUI under "Main -> Performance Mode enabled".
But nothing happens, the PC stays at energy saving.

Remember, for settings I am using now my user directory so permission problems should be excluded.
K:\andreas\Eigene Dokumente\process lasso\config\prolasso.ini has a timestamp of this morning, so this should work.

These settings have been performed also from the TAB "active processes" if this might be important here as well.

Win10 1909, latest Patchlevel, PL Pro 9.7.0.2.
Hi
When you say "one process has assigned "Bitsum highest performance" energy profile" do you mean using option "application process power plan" or "idlesaver" option?

You should never use performance mode "and" application power plan on the same process.
Idlesaver should work ok as there is an option to turn it off when performance mode is on.

Oh, you can't disable performance mode manually from the main menu if a process is running and set to performance mode, you would need to close it, but then power plan should go to default plan.

The error message can come up if the triggered path of the process used wildcard options, in other words, PL doesn't know the true path.

I look into your other comments.
Bitsum QA Engineer

ranko

I completely wiped my configuration by removing all files and directories.
It doesn't work anymore to assign X4.exe the Application Power Profile "Bitsum Highest Performance".

Active processes TAB -> Rightclick on X4.exe -> Application Power Profile -> Bitsum Highest Performance

According to the pulldown menue Bitsum Highest Performance mode is selected / configured, BUT the actual power profile doesn't change.
Even worse, Idlesaver is entering Energy Safing Mode, ALTHOUGH, I am just typing like hell.

So bad it never worked before.

Jeremy Collake

Manually clobbering everything like that should not be necessary. Use the 'Options / Reset all configuration' menu item instead.

Ed was trying to explain that rule conflicts are possible, where one rule says be in power plan X, and another indicates to be in power plan Y. It is unclear whether that is part of what you are seeing. However, you did have a rule for sidebar.exe to enter your Balanced power plan. That could be the cause of staying in Balanced. Check the log.

The only way IdleSaver would malfunction and engage despite your user I/O activity would be if the new session agent isn't running (bitsumsessionagent.exe). Check and make sure it is. I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Of course, there is a difference between IdleSaver actually engaging, as would be indicated in the log, and your PC entering the Energiesparmodus (or whichever) power plan through other means, inadvertently or not.

ranko

Strange, one time after new installation and full reset of option I had a strange issue, of starting a steam game, performance mode became enganged (although I did a full reset of options) and when enabling IDLE saver the energy profile Energy Saving was used although performance mode was set, so what I want to say, Bitsum Highest Performance has been left, although it should not.

Then I quit game, steam app and hit another time full reset of options and then it worked all properly.
The only strange thing is after full reset (Options: Reset all configurations to default)
- Pro Balance is enabled, is that correct after full reset ?
- When starting a steam game, Bitsum highest Performance is being enabled, although I didn't configure to do so.
- Furthermore, I do not find this option to auto recognize Steam and enter Performance Mode automatically
   anymore in the GUI after switching to "run as a service".

Questions:
1. Is the configuration now fully managed in the file K:\me\Eigene Dokumente\process lasso\config\processlasso.ini ?
2. Where is the configuration picked up from that enables Performance Mode for steam application ?
    There is no config file anymore under
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso
    C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso
3. Is the location of the config file being stored in registry or where ?

edkiefer

Quote from: ranko on February 25, 2020, 01:13:08 AM
Strange, one time after new installation and full reset of option I had a strange issue, of starting a steam game, performance mode became enganged (although I did a full reset of options) and when enabling IDLE saver the energy profile Energy Saving was used although performance mode was set, so what I want to say, Bitsum Highest Performance has been left, although it should not.

Then I quit game, steam app and hit another time full reset of options and then it worked all properly.
The only strange thing is after full reset (Options: Reset all configurations to default)
- Pro Balance is enabled, is that correct after full reset ?
- When starting a steam game, Bitsum highest Performance is being enabled, although I didn't configure to do so.
- Furthermore, I do not find this option to auto recognize Steam and enter Performance Mode automatically
   anymore in the GUI after switching to "run as a service".

Questions:
1. Is the configuration now fully managed in the file K:\me\Eigene Dokumente\process lasso\config\processlasso.ini ?
2. Where is the configuration picked up from that enables Performance Mode for steam application ?
    There is no config file anymore under

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso
    C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso
Hi
1) Probalance is always set on by default.
2)auto steam enabled option is in the menu, Options>power>Performance mode.
There you will see options for a) enable steam "attempt automatic detection", b) "Disable idlesaver while the game is running", c) "Change power plan when engaged".

All three of those are enabled by default.
Most of all user process config options are in the prolasso.ini file but some are in reg for certain program settings of PL but not process settings (like GUI size, column sizes etc).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

On config rest, it is appropriate for ProBalance to be enabled, as well as automatic game detection /w Performance Mode. So that sounds right.

Quote from: ranko on February 25, 2020, 01:13:08 AM1. Is the configuration now fully managed in the file K:\me\Eigene Dokumente\process lasso\config\processlasso.ini ?
Yes

The config file. GamingModeEngageForSteam key.

Yes, the registry. HKLM\Software\ProcessLasso