Issue when printing on a shared network printer

Started by DeadHead, May 10, 2011, 03:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadHead

At work, I've had some issues when it comes to printing on a shared Epson Stylus 1290 printer, which is connected to another computer than the one I'm working on. As soon as I try to print, I experience a total freeze for about 5 to 10 seconds, where I can't do anything on the computer; not move the mouse, and nothing happens when I use the keyboard.

Process Lasso catches this, and clearly shows the unresponsive spike, but fails to do what it's supposed to, rather seems to be the cause of the freeze. Was planning to attach a screendump, but it seems this forum doesn't support that.

Any idea why this might happen?

The computer I work on is running XP Pro 32 bit, 3 gig ram and core2quad q6600 processor.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

DeadHead

Sorry for posting this in the wrong section...

Hotrod

Identify the running driver process for the printer and try small adjustments to it's profile. Start with excluding it from restraint, then test for a bit. If this doesn't fix it completely you may have to make small adjustments to it's priority next. Only trial and error can tell you whether it needs a higher priority or lower, but make small changes and then retest. Doing too many things at once can make bigger problems and becomes harder to undo. Jeremy can probably fix you up faster, but I've found in lieu of his advice this process will suffice if given enough time and patience. Good luck and check back here frequently for better answers than mine.  :D

TfH

Quote from: DeadHead on May 10, 2011, 04:31:35 PM
Sorry for posting this in the wrong section...

No worries, buddy. I moved this to PL forum :)

DeadHead

Thank you Tinfoil.

To make troubleshooting even more complicated, this does not happen every time I try to print, but issue *did* start to occur after installation of PL.

TfH

No problems :)

I had similar issues on my old Epson printer but that was driver issue.
(no PL back then)

Now i have Samsung CLP-350N (shared via router) and Canon PIXMA MP550 (shared by using share printer option) and no problems at all.
(PL is in use)

Have you tried these:
1: updating driver
2: checking share settings
3: ensuring that printer processes/services are excluded from PL

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso can't prevent all types of system freezes or stalls, only those caused by CPU monopolization. Printers have notoriously bad drivers, at least historically. In fact, the problem is so bad that it is often easier and cheaper to buy a new printer than try to track down the cause of a particular printer issue ;o. If you feel Process Lasso's priority adjustment is causing a negative effect, exclude the affected process from ProBalance restraint. If no activity is recorded in the log, then Process Lasso is taking no action so shouldn't have any impact on the printer functionality.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

DeadHead

Ok, you can delete this topic, since this wasn't an issue with PL at all (I tried unistalling PL, and the issue remains from time to time). It was just that this started to happen after PL installation, as why I thought it was related. So, happy to say - PL was NOT the cause of this.

Jeremy Collake

That's good news ;). Honestly, printers are the root of all evil. These damn printer companies are more interested in selling ink cartridges than anything else. Thus, they don't even worry about actually making good device drivers, or updating them, they just assume you will go buy another cheapo printer. Besides that, the printers aren't made to last that long it seems. The best I've found so far is Kodak, after dealing with HP crap for years and years. Lexmark is just trash, or was the last time I tried one.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

jonsmith

This is very general when multiple numbers of the printer is connected with a shared network some times the printer not printing properly. I have been using the HP Designjet T520 printer for a long time and I  also faced with the same issue. But when I restart the printer it started working properly.