I have installed v.3.10.3 x64.

Started by sst, September 29, 2008, 01:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sst

Hi, ...

I have = Windows Vista Ultimate FrenchCanadian, x64 SP1, HP DV8305ca Laptop, 1 Cpu core AMD Turion 64 Mobile, [2 Gig. DDR1 333 Ram], [UAC enabled], [WindowsDefender x64 enabled], [ReadyBoost = [2gig on a "SecureDigital Highspeed(C2)"], [Vista Ultimate Estimated Score of = 3.0].

---

It seem that you keep, the Pool question = [Question: How do you like the new CycleShare term?].

It seem deprecated.

If you whant , you can made it now (the pool question) = Question: How do you like the new ProBalance term?

---

I like Proces Lasso, ...

It seem that, ProcessLasso, [work better = (more used), on a single cpu].

I explain = With my 1 cpu Laptop, i use more than 1 task = Then the power of Process Lasso, is more used with Single cpu (for not made 100% cpu load and not made process lack of cpu power).

On my "1 cpu Laptop", i [(transfert files, backup files, compress files, and listen radio), at the sametime]. = Then if i disable processlasso, the cpu go 100% used, and the radio channel do some strange sound, because of not enough cpu cycle left. Then i start again the ProcessLasso software, and i see that the cpu used, is not 100% but lower, and the radio channel music play correctly without cut of sound(s).

Then after, i try on a desktop computer, motherboard, that begin with a single cpu Amd athlon x64, and upgrade to a 2 cpu amd athlon x64. And i see that it is less needed, than a single cpu.

But if someone made a "x64 1 cpu 5000 mhz", = maybe i will see the change, instead of a x64 2 cpu 2500 mhz, with the same technology.

---

(My opinion) = It seem for the moment that Process Lasso = is (useless on a 8 cpu  and more cpu). = Because it have already enough multi-task.

(Can you respond, of test on 3cpu and, more cpu) with Process Lasso.

---

-------
Sylvain
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Translator of Process Lasso = French [Canada-Québec].
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Final Build 7600

Jeremy Collake

I haven't been able to completely parse out your question about Process Lasso on multi-CPU systems.

As far as its general usefulness on these systems, Process Lasso is still quite useful. It may be that single-CPU systems are where Process Lasso shines most, but on multi-core systems the same CPU bottlenecks can present themselves.

For instance, if two threads of different processes, one background and one foreground, are both assigned to the same CPU, then the background thread could substantially affect the performance of the foreground thread. In such a case, Process Lasso's automatic lowering of the background thread priority would improve performance of the foreground thread.

Also, the default affinity settings become important on these systems. Many users have found this is an easy way to force Windows to allocate certain CPUs/cores to the threads of specific processes, leaving the other cores/CPUs open and always available for immediate execution of whatever other threads start on the system.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

sst

Hi, ...

I have = Windows Vista Ultimate FrenchCanadian, x64 SP1, HP DV8305ca Laptop, 1 Cpu core AMD Turion 64 Mobile, [2 Gig. DDR1 333 Ram], [UAC enabled], [WindowsDefender x64 enabled], [ReadyBoost = [2gig on a "SecureDigital Highspeed(C2)"], [Vista Ultimate Estimated Score of = 3.0].

---

I haven't been able to completely parse out your question about Process Lasso on multi-CPU systems.

As far as its general usefulness on these systems, Process Lasso is still quite useful. It may be that single-CPU systems are where Process Lasso shines most, but on multi-core systems the same CPU bottlenecks can present themselves.

For instance, if two threads of different processes, one background and one foreground, are both assigned to the same CPU, then the background thread could substantially affect the performance of the foreground thread. In such a case, Process Lasso's automatic lowering of the background thread priority would improve performance of the foreground thread.

Also, the default affinity settings become important on these systems. Many users have found this is an easy way to force Windows to allocate certain CPUs/cores to the threads of specific processes, leaving the other cores/CPUs open and always available for immediate execution of whatever other threads start on the system.

Ok, ... = Thanks to made me understand, the purpose of Process Lasso.

I like to use Process Lasso, ...

I have look further in options, and see that on a 2 cpu computer, i can made process go to "cpu 0 or cpu 1". I see also, that Process Lasso, can manage from 1 to 16 cpu.

---

In v.3.10.3 x64 = No bug found, ...

-------
Sylvain
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)
Translator of Process Lasso = French [Canada-Québec].
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Final Build 7600