"Restraints" column in main panel possible?

Started by Coldblackice, April 14, 2021, 09:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldblackice

Would it be possible to add a "Restraints" column in the main process list panel? I know the data is already in the Insights viewer, but that requires extra clicks to get to, opened in a separate window, but most of all, it's data that's split off on an island away from the context of the other running metrics/stats.

It would be great being able to see #/frequency of restraints nestled in between columns of CPU usage, page faults, etc. to get a better contextual picture of what's happening with a process that's being/been restrained, even if merely correlational (e.g. a frequently-restrained process also having high hard page fault count, which even if one isn't the cause of the other, it's useful context to what's going on behind the curtain).

Thoughts?

Jeremy Collake

Sure! I've now logged this suggestion for future implementation.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Coldblackice

Jeremy Collake

Note that the 'ProBalance Time' column of the All Processes list provides ProBalance restraint count and duration for specific process instances.

Therefore, I've assumed this feature request is to also show the historical ProBalance data across all instances of a process, as the Insights module does.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on May 28, 2021, 04:04:33 AM
Note that the 'ProBalance Time' column of the All Processes list provides ProBalance restraint count and duration for specific process instances.

Therefore, I've assumed this feature request is to also show the historical ProBalance data across all instances of a process, as the Insights module does.

My bad, yes, this is what I was meaning, showing overall counts/time in sync with what Insights reports.

Coldblackice

I was debating whether to make another post for this but don't want to spam, and it's in the same vein as this thread so I'll add it here:

Along with a historical Restraints/Insights column in the middle pane, another metric that what would be extremely useful is a column for "Run Count". I only just recently discovered a process that has been abusively running (called by another process) more than what should be necessary, however it's been occurring just barely spread apart enough that I haven't picked up on it during my regular brief glances through the bottom pane log to get a glance at what's been happening in my machine's background.

But if there was a "Run Count" column, I would've instantly seen "Whoa! This process has been called 300+ times in the past day! Let's find out why." Of course, run-count alone isn't necessarily indicative of a problem, but it can definitely be a useful piece of data in tracking down potential issues, be they downstream or upstream.

Jeremy Collake

Sure, I like the idea of a run count!

It would need to optionally differentiate instances based on their command lines.

I've now created an issue to track this potential addition.

Coldblackice

QuoteIt would need to optionally differentiate instances based on their command lines.

Ah, great point, hadn't thought of that, and I like that idea of being able to track differentiation of them, since they are very pertinent data for analyzing/troubleshooting resource usage. Awesome!