FMK can now modify the DD-WRT web UI!

Started by heffnercj, September 16, 2011, 03:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffnercj

There have been questions in the past regarding the modification of the web UI pages in DD-WRT firmware. Previously this was not possible, as the web UI is "protected" in DD-WRT's firmware images.

We've recently added the ability to extract, modify, and re-build the DD-WRT web UI to the firmware mod kit, with the following restrictions:

• You cannot add files
  • You cannot rename files
  • You cannot delete files

Once the file system has been extracted from the firmware image (using extract_firmware.sh or extract-ng.sh), run the ddwrt-gui-extract.sh script to extract the Web UI files. When you're finished modifying them, run the ddwrt-gui-restore.sh script to put the modified files back.

For those interested, a description of how this works can be found here: http://www.devttys0.com/2011/09/modifying-the-dd-wrt-gui/

This process has been tested on several DD-WRT builds, and should work on all builds from ~2007 to present. We can't guarantee that this will continue to work in future DD-WRT builds as the method used to store the Web files may change, but we will try to keep the FMK updated to support any future changes.

Jeremy Collake

Once word gets out, you will see a lot of enthusiasm about this, trust me ;). Of course, DD-WRT is falling a bit into disarray lately it seems. I mean, its been at the same version number for years now. So, I dunno. Still, there are plenty of people using it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

heffnercj

I think they've been releasing new builds, just not changing the version number. Makes things a bit confusing IMHO.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: heffnercj on September 18, 2011, 05:28:43 PM
I think they've been releasing new builds, just not changing the version number. Makes things a bit confusing IMHO.

Figures, they never have been particularly organized or logical ..

Jeremy Collake

BTW, just wait until you start getting the support emails ;). You'll see what I mean in time, now that your email is 'out there'.