Windows 7 build 6801 & PL 3.21 beta 1

Started by RDMTECH, November 06, 2008, 04:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDMTECH

Just though I would let you know that everything is working great!  So if you're using Windows 7 build 6801 you can install Process Lasso 3.21 beta 1 and it will work as designed.  ;D

Jeremy Collake

Great, that is good to hear, I had not tested it yet myself in Windows 7.

Thanks.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

RDMTECH

I was wondering if you were planning on adding some right click options in the 'running processes' list for the process instance limitation feature? 

It would be nice to also have right click options for the items in the 'actions' log as well. 

Just a thought.   ;)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I do plan to implement both those at some point. However, it probably won't be for at least a month, as I plan to spend the next few weeks focusing on non-development aspects of Process Lasso. Specifically, product documentation, presentation, and marketing -- all very neglected areas at present. So much work to do ;).

RDMTECH

I'm sure the updated documentation would help me with this deployment.

I'm struggling to figure out how to get the process governor to run as a service and stay running.  If I log off as administrator the service stops.  How can I keep the service running when the admin isn't logged on and hide the GUI from the users?

Help!  :-\

Jeremy Collake

That should be the way it behaves already (always running). I need to investigate further and I'll get back to you.

Jeremy Collake

I did reproduce what you've seen, but haven't resolved it yet. I'll hopefully get to it this week, and I apologize for the delay. Last week my brain wasn't quite clicking into code mode, for whatever reason ;o. That's ok, as I have plenty of non-code things to do. This week I've got some maintenance to PECompact to do, then I'll move on to Process Lasso v3.24.

I killed the Mantis bug tracker, as there were some issues with new user account creation and I found it generally cumbersome to work with. I think I could pretty quickly create a simple bug and feature tracker of my own, integrated into the user services area. It wouldn't have the robustness of Mantis, but would be easier to work with and be a lot faster.

RDMTECH

Hope all is well.

Just let me know when you update so I can deploy.  We are currently leaving the administrator logged on so it's not an emergency, but it would be nice not to have to do that  ;)

Jeremy Collake

I've been a bit slower than usual lately, sorry. I've at least resolved one condition where this occurs: When the GUI is closed due to the session ending, it was asking the core engine to terminate even if it was running as a service. Whether or not this is the condition you're experiencing, I can't say for sure. If it is, a work-around in v3.22 would be to manually close the GUI in the administrative context before logging the administrator off. When manually closing the GUI, you can choose not to terminate the core engine.

This was an artifact left over from when I didn't support running the core engine as a service. There could be others, which is why I'm still testing and evaluating the code here.

In any case, v3.23 beta 2, to be released within the hour, will be making progress on this issue. I'll make sure its totally resolved by tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your patience.

RDMTECH

Excellent!  I look forward to testing it.

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

I've released v3.23 beta 2, so feel free to give it a try. My tests show the problem to be resolved, with the service process properly persisting through logoffs. I don't want to guarantee its fixed yet, but so far so good ;). Please let me know how it goes for you if you do test it. Thanks

RDMTECH

Ok.....it's deployed to 15 servers.   It's working great, but I did run into an issue.

There seems to be an issue with importing the settings.  I configured one server with all my process instance limitation settings and exported it to a network share.  I then went to each server and imported the settings.  I logged off and back on again, but the settings were gone.  I stopped the core engine replaced, the 'prosuper.ini' and started it back up and everything is working fine.

Just thought you could take a look at this.

Thanks for the hard work!

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look at that import problem, then release v3.24 final.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, I've fixed the import problem up. Imported settings will now correctly persist in v3.24.

RDMTECH

Excellent! 

That was quick.  I'll download and deploy ASAP.

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

I'm building the final version now. After some cursory review, I'll publish it. It should be about 30 minutes. If you notice anything else, please do let me know. You've been really helpful as a beta tester.

I'm deferring the fix for that other issue that was reported - the occasional failure to create the processgovernor service on install when configured to run as a specific user. I still am unsure about what is going on there, as I haven't yet reproduced it.

RDMTECH

Glad to help.

This is a great application that keeps getting better over time. 

It has decrease the time I've spent troubleshooting server issues so it's paying for itself.

For me the only undesirable process scenario left is addressing frozen/crashed processes. (and some right click options ;-)

I'll let you know if I find any issues with 3.24....thanks again!