New choices coming for graph colors

Started by Jeremy Collake, February 01, 2012, 03:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

This is an early mock up, I'm aware the green line needs adjustment in color, but a sample for you ;). The user will be able to toggle between a few pre-set color combinations by clicking anywhere on the graph. Manual color settings will also be supported in time.

I've also done a lot with the innards of Process Lasso, really getting a lot of good coding done lately.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

I am running v5.1.0.45-1 beta, but I think I like the old look better. ;)

edit: typo

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on February 01, 2012, 04:31:01 AM
I am running v5.1.0.45-1 beta, but I think I lot the old look better. ;)

Thanks for the feedback ;). In v5.1.0.45-2 you can click and go back to the old look. However, I'm still toying with the colors, perhaps I can find one you like better than the standard black. The primary motivation here is simple change. I have looked at this UI for years, and am ready for some flair (edit) ;)

Tarnak

...like a solar flare. ;)   ...or just some flair? :)

P.S. Is v5.1.0.45-2, yet?

Jeremy Collake

Either way ;p. If I'm capable of generating a solar flare, I certainly will!

Jeremy Collake

And, no, it will be a bit on -2 ... a few hours, or a day or two at most. v5.1.0.46 final may actually end up going out before it does. These changes are minor and cosmetic, so don't require the same level of regression testing a major change to the function of the software would.

edkiefer

I guess if you go here it be good to have a color picker pop-up window to adjust what color for backround . Also I think the ram load graph to the right should match with backround color too . I think that is why it looks little weird to me .
Bitsum QA Engineer

DeadHead

Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on February 01, 2012, 09:53:51 AM
I guess if you go here it be good to have a color picker pop-up window to adjust what color for backround . Also I think the ram load graph to the right should match with backround color too . I think that is why it looks little weird to me .

Yes, I agree, they will all end up matching sooner or later.

There will be a color picker, as this is *so easy* to add. First, as I said, clicking the graph will rotate through some pre-set color configs. Then, in another area, I'll let the user select their own colors, popping up a 'color picker' is as simple as an API call. That will likely be in the final build *after* this one, as I don't want to slow this one down with the overhead of adding and testing the additional configuration options.

Miroku4444

Jeremy Collake

I've since improved it. I have a responsiveness meter on the left indicating the current responsiveness (by color). Not like the RAM load, just a little side info over-writing the graph. Anyway, back to work.

Jeremy Collake

I am getting a lot of user confusion with the White background, with many thinking it is a bug. In fact, it is true the selected per-process CPU history white line is invisible, something I missed.

I have a lot more work left to do. Since I don't know how long it will take exactly, I'm going to issue another beta update to revert to the previous colors for now, until I finish the system in its entirety.

Tarnak

Quote from: bitsum.support on February 02, 2012, 09:00:18 PM
I am getting a lot of user confusion with the White background, with many thinking it is a bug. In fact, it is true the selected per-process CPU history white line is invisible, something I missed.

I have a lot more work left to do. Since I don't know how long it will take exactly, I'm going to issue another beta update to revert to the previous colors for now, until I finish the system in its entirety.

I wasn't confused, BTW.  Do what you think best. ;)  I am running v5.1.0.45-2 beta...

Jeremy Collake

I am building the last beta - which DOES this time include the clickable graph to change schemes. I will release it, then after a short period of testing, code review, and a few more changes - v5.1.0.46 will go final. The *default* color scheme will be that of the black background, at least for now. Perhaps I'll add a poll on that.

Jeremy Collake

v5.1.0.46 final is building now. Regression testing and code review are good, all seems fine. I need to set a new final so I can move on to larger changes.