Watching movie files across a wireless network

Started by Hotrod, February 07, 2012, 03:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod

I have been downloading avi files of TV shows my DVR can't get(only 2 receivers but 3 shows on at same time) on my laptop, then watching them on my TV via my new Samsung SMART BlueRay Player across my wireless network. This has been working really well except when my laptop goes to sleep the stream stops and I have to mess with things to get the network to find the (public)folder again. Is there any process that runs when I am file sharing in this manner that could be tagged with the no sleep option to automatically prevent this? Or do I have to manually do this every time I want to watch a show? Any advice would be welcome.

Jeremy Collake

It sounds like you are just directly accessing the shared files with the media player on your laptop? If you are using Windows Media Services to do the streaming from the laptop, then there likely is one or more processes launched (look for wm*.exe) during the streaming. However, if your player is simply directly accessing the file shares, then there is no special process. There might be an alternative way to detect this activity though, I will think on it a bit.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Hotrod

It is a direct file share, no media player involved that I know of, but maybe you could find a way to detect this and trigger a rule. Thanks for considering it.

Jeremy Collake

Oh, I should have mentioned that it is something I also need myself, so more likely to get done faster than other feature requests ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.