Feature Request: Remember Graph Height

Started by Scott, November 20, 2008, 04:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

If it's not too hard to implement, would you please consider having the GUI window remember the height of the graph?  I ask because each time I run the GUI, I have to manually resize the graph to make more room for the process view.  Thank you for any consideration

Jeremy Collake

It is supposed to already do this, and does so in my test beds. It should remembers its total size, child window sizes, column ordering and sizing, etc.. They are stored in the HCKU\Software\ProcessLasso key in the 'windowdata' and 'column_sort_info' values. Apparently this is failing for some people, so I'll have to evaluate what is going on. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of it today.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Scott

I have that key and value.  I think there is a problem writing data to them.  The data for the "ConfigFile" value under that same key was incorrect on my system when I checked it.  (It still pointed to the default location, but upon installation I changed it to "All Users".)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that may be right. I changed the registry permissions that are requested, in case a difference in registry permissions is what is going on. That debug build I sent you will emit an error at close if it couldn't successfully write those values. I'll create a new debug build shortly.

Some users seem to report that it does sporadically work, so it could alternatively be that the saved settings are getting discarded under certain conditions.

I do have some fail-safe code implemented to prevent it from displaying the window in a position off the screen. That may be the point of failure right there. If this is the point of failure, during launch the debug build will show "PL: Window position is not valid, resetting." in the debug output.

This code hasn't changed since the last debug build I sent you, so it should work to reveal the point of failure. However, I'll create a new debug build shortly.

Jeremy Collake

Just as a side note, the HKCU ConfigFile value can be out of sync with your selected location and everything be ok. When you do a global over-ride, it is stored in Process Lasso's HKLM key, so that all users have access to it. When that value exists in HKLM, it over-rides the HKCU value.. making the HKCU value unused unless the global over-ride is removed.

Jeremy Collake

I'm going to upload v2.35 beta 1 in a few minutes. I've fixed a portion of the window position validity check, which should resolve the problem.

riceman

Another feature would be nice... (or is it something I missed) ...

An option to keep PL "Always on top", would be appreciated when doing some testing

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that would be handy. I will put that on the feature request list.

I plan a major overhaul of the GUI in the new year. During that time, you'll see a massive update to the GUI -- making it more modern, robust, and elegant.

Scott

I am not being an idiot and suggesting that this is a suitable replacement for a native "Always on top" option, but until such a feature is added to the GUI, there are freeware utilities that can do it for you.  One good example is PowerMenu: http://www.abstractpath.com/powermenu/

Scott

I'm running 3.27 beta 3, and while the graph height is better behaved than before, it still moves around a bit sometimes when I start the GUI (not every time, more like around half the time).  Its height is sometimes decreased a bit, sometimes enlarged.