"Search for Process..." crashes PL

Started by gman68w, June 12, 2012, 10:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman68w

If a process disappears from either the Active Processes or All Processes lists, and I still have the right-click context menu open, ready to Search for Process on Internet, it crashes PL. I suspect it's a divide-by-zero error (i.e. it's searching for a process it doesn't know the name of anymore). Is there a way to keep the process name in memory long enough for me to finish executing the context menu command? Sort of a hold-and-modify thing? Then when I click the "Search.." command, and if the process is no longer running, it can disappear as normal.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: gman68w on June 12, 2012, 10:12:51 PM
If a process disappears from either the Active Processes or All Processes lists, and I still have the right-click context menu open, ready to Search for Process on Internet, it crashes PL. I suspect it's a divide-by-zero error (i.e. it's searching for a process it doesn't know the name of anymore). Is there a way to keep the process name in memory long enough for me to finish executing the context menu command? Sort of a hold-and-modify thing? Then when I click the "Search.." command, and if the process is no longer running, it can disappear as normal.

Process Lasso uses synchronization objects to try to prevent such occurrences. It's no divide by zero error, as there is no division going on, but what you speak of would be referencing an already deallocated block of memory, which could manifest as a crash of several different types *except* divide by zero ;p. I will do some extended testing to see if I can reproduce this. In general searches, it seems to work fine (for me), though I do not believe I've tested the case where the process terminates *before* you are able to issue the search command. Thanks for letting me know, I will be sure to make this a test case.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I have taken some mitigating actions to try to combat this, will back-port them too.

Jeremy Collake

The updates were not in the build issued today, sorry. I forgot to back-port them ;o. I will get them in the next minor update though.