v6 FINAL release status

Started by Jeremy Collake, July 22, 2012, 05:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

UPDATE: v6 final now released.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

neophil78

Too much weird things in the final V6.0.0.58 version !!! Though i'm doing a roll back to 5.1.1.2
EX: it's the last application to load on startup, which is a bit strange for a soft which is supposed to control CPU ...
Link to Bitsum URL doesn't work from the GUI interface
How can the program may decrease from about 50% size ???

Sorry for my English, i'm french and using french version

P.S: are they specific .exe to allow by the firewall ?

Philippe Paquet aka neophil78

Victek

Quote from: neophil78 on July 23, 2012, 11:10:00 AM
Too much weird things in the final V6.0.0.58 version !!! Though i'm doing a roll back to 5.1.1.2
EX: it's the last application to load on startup, which is a bit strange for a soft which is supposed to control CPU ...

How are you determining it's the last application to load?  You have the core engine and the management console.  I would think PL is already on the job when the engine is loaded and it doesn't matter exactly when the tray icon representing the console shows up.  I don't know how to determine when the engine loads though.

neophil78

Quote from: Victek on July 23, 2012, 03:50:19 PM
How are you determining it's the last application to load?  You have the core engine and the management console.  I would think PL is already on the job when the engine is loaded and it doesn't matter exactly when the tray icon representing the console shows up.  I don't know how to determine when the engine loads though.
Euh, as far as i know, the last icon to show up is the one of the last prog to have been launched (at least on XP, which is my OS)

edkiefer

not sure that is correct, depending on how you set columns up .
I would think the column "creation time" would be better indicator .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: neophil78 on July 23, 2012, 05:36:32 PM
Euh, as far as i know, the last icon to show up is the one of the last prog to have been launched (at least on XP, which is my OS)
System Tray Icon on Startup (may be delayed)
http://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1617.0.html
QuoteThis is a warning that the System Tray Icon may take a while to show on startup. This is intentional. A lot of processing is done before the initialization of the system tray backing window is done. We also prefer to wait and let the system 'settle down' before invoking the GUI of Process Lasso. So, give it some extra time ;).

That was an answer for you.

Jeremy Collake

On delayed startup of the GUI (only) and why this is good, not bad...

The 'Core Engine' (processgovernor.exe) is the only thing that controls the 'system load' (e.g. ProBalance). It loads fast and furious at startup. There is NO DELAY on the governor.

The 'GUI' (processlasso.exe) just allows for configuration and display of running processes. Its system tray icon was not considered high priority to have show up first thing. After all, it doesn't really do much - especially when you are just logging in. It was thought better to get out of the way and let everything else start, including the core engine (processgovernor).

Still, go with whichever version you choose - registered users have that advantage ;)

Jeremy Collake

First, the French translation is a bit of out date. So, I need to issue a warning about that until it is updated.

Link to Bitsum URL doesn't work from the GUI interface

What browser are you using? That is strange. What is the name of your browser's EXE file (in case it is different in French by chance)?

How can the program may decrease from about 50% size ???

Removal of the 1MB English CHM Documentation from the Installer. For ENGLISH users there is the option to download this during install. For non-English users it is assumed they don't read English, so it isn't asked about. Instead, the online documentation is referenced - which has been translated to a couple other languages.

P.S: are they specific .exe to allow by the firewall ?

ProcessLasso.exe, QuickUpgrade.exe, and plActivate.exe

neophil78

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 23, 2012, 09:51:05 PM

What browser are you using? That is strange. What is the name of your browser's EXE file (in case it is different in French by chance)?
firefox.exe (14.0.0.1 french) but trouble is exactly the same if using IE8

Trouble is also the same with PL 6.0.0.59 with one more: when checking if there's a newer version and if yes, a line "error:missing string" is appearing in the downloading/installing window ...

Quote from: bitsum.support
Removal of the 1MB English CHM Documentation from the Installer. For ENGLISH users there is the option to download this during install. For non-English users it is assumed they don't read English, so it isn't asked about. Instead, the online documentation is referenced - which has been translated to a couple other languages.
Don't have this option and BTW the english CHM is present in C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\PROCESSLASSO.CHM (1169 Ko) perhaps a file which has not been removed when updating from V5 to V6 ??

Quote from: bitsum.support
ProcessLasso.exe, QuickUpgrade.exe, and plActivate.exe
Thanks

NB: PL pro on XP SP3 french

edkiefer

yes, web links don't seem to work on these browsers (each set to default) , FF 3.6, IE8, Palemoon 12.3 .
this is on ver 6.0.0.59
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on July 24, 2012, 12:01:50 PM
yes, web links don't seem to work on these browsers (each set to default) , FF 3.6, IE8, Palemoon 12.3 .
this is on ver 6.0.0.59

That's odd because I tested each on my systems. I didn't test in XP, didn't think there would be a difference in behavior. I will check this out ASAP!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: neophil78 on July 24, 2012, 09:29:00 AM
Trouble is also the same with PL 6.0.0.59 with one more: when checking if there's a newer version and if yes, a line "error:missing string" is appearing in the downloading/installing window ...
Don't have this option and BTW the english CHM is present in C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\PROCESSLASSO.CHM (1169 Ko) perhaps a file which has not been removed when updating from V5 to V6 ??

Yes, I am aware of this. Although it will disappear on its own in the next update for your language, I will be fixing it so that nobody ever sees that.

Quote from: neophil78 on July 24, 2012, 09:29:00 AM

Yes, it is a leftover. It has not changed enough to be worth deleting, but is still very helpful. So, it remains. When I've made major changes, I will delete it.

Jeremy Collake

I can, of course, confirm that the web links are not working in XP. I also noticed that the Chinese links were lost (or rather not updated by the translator when I switched to HTTPS).

1. Switched back to HTTP, as there was no reason for HTTPS and some pages had 'insecure content' warnings that meant nothing much - but could confuse user
2. Fixed web links in 2K/XP - and they still work in Vista. Amazing something so simple could break, lol.
3. Restored Chinese purchasing links.

So I'll release another build here shortly, gotta have these issues addressed.

Jeremy Collake

And v6.0.0.60 is a reality. Naturally, the web links broke because I was trying to handle that small percentage with 'odd' systems. I assumed they worked because I tested the change (which was done at the last minute) in Windows 7. I had not seen a difference in behavior between the OSes, so assumed they did fine in 2K/XP. This assumption was incorrect, as are most assumptions it seems ;).

Assuming nothing I consider major pops up, there likely won't be any further updates. This build has been the most stable new final to date. In prior builds there were little issues to fix, but the updates here have all been translations, with the exception of those web links. Funny I worked so hard on the rest of the product, only to have something so simple break at the last minute ;o. This may explain low sales yesterday.

Jeremy Collake

Missing Strings in Auto-Updater Download Dialog

Guidance is a proper/manual install of version 6. No need uninstall version 5, but best to install version 6. This is just to make sure the auto-update component is updated. In version 5, it is updated only if the GUI has access to update it at any point (yes, I was not that concerned with updating it, as it doesn't normally need updating). In version 6 I can force updates to it, as I have in all current builds so far, but will likely stop in the future so that people with firewalls won't be annoyed ;).

For those running 2K/XP or running the GUI with elevated rights, this problem should take care of itself in the next update.

edkiefer

I forgot to mention the history of version in DL box also didn't work in .59 .
Weblinks now work in Palemoon with one small issue for me, it brings 2 pages of bitsum up . I don't know if that is issue with my mouse clicks (I have been having issues with issuing double's when I just single clicked (mouse needs cleaning) ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

neophil78

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 25, 2012, 04:47:17 AM
Missing Strings in Auto-Updater Download Dialog

Guidance is a proper/manual install of version 6. No need uninstall version 5, but best to install version 6. This is just to make sure the auto-update component is updated. In version 5, it is updated only if the GUI has access to update it at any point (yes, I was not that concerned with updating it, as it doesn't normally need updating). In version 6 I can force updates to it, as I have in all current builds so far, but will likely stop in the future so that people with firewalls won't be annoyed ;).

For those running 2K/XP or running the GUI with elevated rights, this problem should take care of itself in the next update.
With update 6.0.0.60 it now open the bitsum URL once in a new tab of browser and open as well once in a new window  :D

BTW i still get  an "error: missing string" appearing in the windows when updating (french version still on XP SP3 and on different PC's)

Cheers

edkiefer

Quote from: neophil78 on July 25, 2012, 08:49:39 AM
With update 6.0.0.60 it now open the bitsum URL once in a new tab of browser and open as well once in a new window  :D

BTW i still get  an "error: missing string" appearing in the windows when updating (french version still on XP SP3 and on different PC's)

Cheers
same here with missing string with .61 and I also did manual update .
The web links work here now, just 1 new tab opens now for me .

XP SP3
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, the first build of .60, which lasted a few minutes, opened two links.. better than none I suppose ;p. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, and just uploaded a new build.

Believe it or not though, these minor issues are very minor in comparison to prior major versions. In the past, when things get out of beta, I'd find out about problems I didn't know about. However, for version 6, things have been pretty smooth where it *counts*. I hope that perception isn't changed with the minor updates I've done. Now that the user can set the update check frequency, I figure I am at liberty to issue them as rapidly as needed ;p. That said, I will slow down, just making sure anything that might affect the perception of the product is fixed.

The see-saw graph you once saw for instance - tracked it down in .61. It was all a matter of very unlucky timing for a random few people. It was otherwise benign, just a display issue, as the CPU % used was not actually spiking - it was an illusion.

edkiefer

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 25, 2012, 11:35:54 PM
Yes, the first build of .60, which lasted a few minutes, opened two links.. better than none I suppose ;p. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, and just uploaded a new build.

Believe it or not though, these minor issues are very minor in comparison to prior major versions. In the past, when things get out of beta, I'd find out about problems I didn't know about. However, for version 6, things have been pretty smooth where it *counts*. I hope that perception isn't changed with the minor updates I've done. Now that the user can set the update check frequency, I figure I am at liberty to issue them as rapidly as needed ;p. That said, I will slow down, just making sure anything that might affect the perception of the product is fixed.

The see-saw graph you once saw for instance - tracked it down in .61. It was all a matter of very unlucky timing for a random few people. It was otherwise benign, just a display issue, as the CPU % used was not actually spiking - it was an illusion.
Yes, As I reported somewhere the spikes were not real CPU% usage as when compared with taskmanager or process explorer it didn't show (even with highest poll rates).
Bitsum QA Engineer

neophil78

Quote from: edkiefer on July 25, 2012, 11:12:40 PM
same here with missing string with .61 and I also did manual update .
The web links work here now, just 1 new tab opens now for me .

XP SP3
Same here for me

Jeremy Collake

A proper install over top your existing one should resolve any missing string errors during the brief update download dialog. They may also self-resolve. I have described it elsewhere, but basically the guidance is to do a proper installation of v6.

edkiefer

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 26, 2012, 08:13:45 AM
A proper install over top your existing one should resolve any missing string errors during the brief update download dialog. They may also self-resolve. I have described it elsewhere, but basically the guidance is to do a proper installation of v6.
When I first saw the missing string you mentioned during .59 , mine was ok there AFAIR . then .60 I noticed the error string in DL window.
SO I opened PL folder an looked at quickupgrade.exe , it was not so new (forget date but was over week old I think). so I DL a build (.61) from service page and install it over the top w/o documents, startup settings and reset window and that did update the quickupgrade.exe . But when I click the updater the pop up window still shows error string.
No big deal really and will keep eye on it .

Ed
Bitsum QA Engineer

neophil78

And as far as i'm concerned, i did both installs: update from V 5.1.1.2 and as well complete new install of V 6.0.0.60 after uninstalling V 6.0.0.59 which was installed (i'd never installed V6 betas). In both cases i had the "error: missing string" today in the downloading/updating Process Lasso window when updating to 6.0.0.61.

Sure that's not a big trouble, but it's just to let you know  ;)

edkiefer

Update: confirmed .62 the string error is fixed .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

It won't be fixed for all until the .62->.63 update. It was fixed for you because of the test build you may have downloaded before. Sadly, I did fail to recognize the true cause of this problem immediately and gave errant advice as to doing a full install. Not that it matters much..

edkiefer

right, I did DL the test build (.61+ ) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I can't tell you how many headaches that briefly shown dialog has given me ;p. Everyone wanted it localized, so I finally did - but first try in v5.1.0.78 broke the whole auto-update system (something I now test for) and may have cost a lot of users and definitely caused confusion.

Then I localized it, except for a few strings that didn't get pumped out of the resource DLL right. I didn't want to muck with it further for now, so they will be in English for the next update. After that, translated. The rest of the dialog is localized though, and translated strings ready to be used. Oh well.

Back to work on the BUU - Bitsum Universal Updater. I'll need it for upcoming projects anyway.

edkiefer

Yes, I kind of feel bad reporting this kind of issue, so low priority IMO but better your get report and prioritize a fix on your side .

In a way, it is good such minor issue are coming up vs major ones .
Bitsum QA Engineer

neophil78

Quote from: edkiefer on July 28, 2012, 06:54:14 AM
Update: confirmed .62 the string error is fixed .

Sorry to bring a bad news but it's not fixed for me with the .64 version on one PC  :-[

neophil78

Quote from: edkiefer on July 28, 2012, 08:36:53 AM
right, I did DL the test build (.61+ ) .
Where's a link to that test build ?  8)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: neophil78 on August 01, 2012, 09:18:06 AM
Sorry to bring a bad news but it's not fixed for me with the .64 version on one PC  :-[

Thank you for the report. Most users reported the issue was resolved, so this is interesting. Is it possible that one PC was updating from an OLDER build? The fix occurred in .62, so if *that* PC was running anything less than .62, then it would still see the missing strings during the update download.

Quote from: neophil78 on August 01, 2012, 09:20:30 AM
Where's a link to that test build ?  8)

The test build later went final. So, it is the final build ;p. A manual re-install will definitely fix up the issue for the *next* update, FWIW - though an automated update should have also fixed it fine. I should also mention to any readers that we are speaking of a cosmetic error in the auto update download dialog, one that has no other functional impact.

Jeremy Collake

By the way, you can do a *manual test* by running QuickUpgrade.exe (in the Process Lasso install folder). Then you will know if it has been fixed for future upgrades or not. What it will do is reinstall the current version (if no other update is available).

neophil78

Quote from: bitsum.support on August 01, 2012, 09:30:00 AM
Thank you for the report. Most users reported the issue was resolved, so this is interesting. Is it possible that one PC was updating from an OLDER build? The fix occurred in .62, so if *that* PC was running anything less than .62, then it would still see the missing strings during the update download.

The test build later went final. So, it is the final build ;p. A manual re-install will definitely fix up the issue for the *next* update, FWIW - though an automated update should have also fixed it fine. I should also mention to any readers that we are speaking of a cosmetic error in the auto update download dialog, one that has no other functional impact.
Right it's fixed: despite the PL icon showed it was version .64 i went in the registry and search for Process Lasso, which brings me a big surprise: An old 5.1.0.82 version was notified as installed !!!  :o
Though i uninstalled PL, cleaned up the registry from some keys left, installed the .62 version, and then update it to .64 ... .62 => .64 did not bring the error message  :P

I think it's definitivly fixed now

Best regards

Jeremy Collake

Excellent, thank you for reporting back!