v6 UI issues, column display

Started by DAOWAce, July 27, 2012, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAOWAce

So, just upgraded to v6 as I couldn't find the latest update to v5 to use until v6 matures a little.

Initial impressions are mixed.

The UI reset itself a bit. Graph display turned back on, the tray icon changed itself, but most importantly; all the columns are re-arranged and reset to default on position, width and which are active/hidden.

After getting it similar to how I had it in V5, I noticed some of the columns changed from right alignment over to left alignment and also vice versa.  This is driving my OCD insane, especially the rules and memory columns.

Here's a screenshot of it (top v6, bottom v5):

Also, there's processes missing in the list yet still running, why did they disappear in v6?

More issues:

The right click - classify process menu is gone, now only lists 'game'.  Where did the media player option go?  Was it even useful?

The log window column text sometimes disappears when changing options for the program.  (Bug)

The tray icon (and in turn the GUI I suppose) is showing on boot.  On v5 it did not show on boot.  Can't seem to find an option for this.

Jeremy Collake

Check 'Main / Run Process Lasso with elevated rights' and  'Main / Manage process of all users' to resolve those unlisted processes. Those are elevated processes, thus Process Lasso must be elevated to list them.

Go to 'Options / General Settings / Reconfigure the way Process Lasso starts' to set how it starts up (or doesn't). You can specify individually the core engine and GUI.

The log window caption text I am aware of can be painted wrong at times, am looking into that. This was true of v5 as well. It quickly restores itself within a second or two, but.. still.

The reset of the column ordering and sizes is mandated when columns are added or removed. It really is excessive to try to do much about that, as infrequently as it happens (a couple times a year with final versions).

Oh, and the multimedia classification is gone for v6 final, yes. It was only in the beta. It may return in the future. It was not particularly useful, given the other options, no.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

DeadHead

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 27, 2012, 03:36:27 PMOh, and the multimedia classification is gone for v6 final, yes. It was only in the beta. It may return in the future. It was not particularly useful, given the other options, no.

Perhaps simply change the "Classify as game" to "Classify as game/multimedia"? *IF* the optimizations otherwise were about the same?
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

Yea, that is suggested if it works for the user. I didn't want to confuse people by recommending that.

edkiefer

thats what I do even before I used multimedia. basically any app that does fullscreen mode I add to game mode.

For example I run few astro apps , Stellarium is one as it has many of the same resources as a game it works fine in game mode .
I guess though for above, do you really need it as your not going to be worried about input lag or FPS much in it but it doesn't hurt to set it up as game .
Bitsum QA Engineer

DAOWAce

MODERATOR EDIT: Content accidentally deleted (hit edit instead of reply /w quote). Sorry.

Jeremy Collake

That option is checked and hasn't changed between my v5 and v6 switch.
The processes you see in the screenshot on the bottom (v5) are STILL running in the top screenshot (v6), yet they are not there anymore in PL6.

OH, I figured it out while writing this reply.

Here's the deal:

Version 5 used the Session Manager to resolve a process name to a user context. This meant that it wasn't always accurate in 2K/XP. Not totally wrong, just not as accurate. Thus, in v5, when you see those processes listed as 'Owner', they are ACTUALLY running in a system user context. Again, this was only a 2K/XP issue of v5 that was corrected with v6.   (side note: this was why version 5 required Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services be started).

Therefore, the change in user name resolution (better accuracy) and you not wanting to manage the processes of all users is the culprit here.

Can I change things to let you manage system processes, but not other users' processes? Yes ... I will look into that.

QuoteThe reset of the column ordering and sizes is mandated when columns are added or removed. It really is excessive to try to do much about that, as infrequently as it happens (a couple times a year with final versions).
Yes, that's fine, but what about the alignment change?  I see no reason why the column text itself would change its left/right alignment.  There is nothing I can do to change this as far as I'm aware.
What did the media player classification even do?

The alignment/size goes hand in hand with the ordering. When the 'count' gets off, they just get reset. I *could* deal with it, but like I said - when they change so infrequently, the question is a matter of how much trouble it is. To deal with it, I'd have to create some sort of storage for each individual column name, storing its size and maybe position. This as opposed to simply dumping an array that contains all the sizes, and an array that contains all the positions. Complexity being the mother of all problems, I prefer to keep it simple if at all possible.

As for what the Multimedia classification did. Essentially what Gaming mode does, at least for now (or, rather, then).

DAOWAce

Durp.

I don't need (or want) to manage those processes, so them disappearing is fine.  I was only wondering why they had disappeared, which I now know, so thanks!

So due to complexity you can't add an option to set the column text to align to the left or right, either globally or for each column?  Blah.  I'll have to live with the (subjectively) messed up alignments then.

And the multimedia classification was essentially redundant, got it.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: DAOWAce on July 27, 2012, 08:22:44 PM
Durp.
I don't need (or want) to manage those processes, so them disappearing is fine.  I was only wondering why they had disappeared, which I now know, so thanks!
So due to complexity you can't add an option to set the column text to align to the left or right, either globally or for each column?  Blah.  I'll have to live with the (subjectively) messed up alignments then.
And the multimedia classification was essentially redundant, got it.

About right on all counts.

On the column justifications, which I mistook for sizes - that is actually hard coded and would require even more effort to allow to be changed by the user at all, but if I ever do, then I'll make some storage mechanism that does preserve that at least. It is not normally needed. as usually one or the other is desired depending on the metric type.

There may have been some accidental column justification changes that don't look right. In such case, name the columns so I can evaluate them (and I'll be looking too).

DAOWAce

The 'rules', 'status', 'threads' and 'memory (commit size)' are different in v6 compared to v5.  You can see their alignment in the screenshots in my OP.

The only ones that look like a problem are the 'rules' and 'memory (commit size)', as the other two have moved to a right alignment which looks more in line with the rest of the UI.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: DAOWAce on July 28, 2012, 10:01:31 AM
The 'rules', 'status', 'threads' and 'memory (commit size)' are different in v6 compared to v5.  You can see their alignment in the screenshots in my OP.
The only ones that look like a problem are the 'rules' and 'memory (commit size)', as the other two have moved to a right alignment which looks more in line with the rest of the UI.

I'm glad you pointed it out - and wish I would have looked closer. I will fix this in the next minor update. Sadly, I just issued one, so it might be a bit - though likely not too long. The reason the disparity between the memory metrics were overlooked is because the Private Bytes and Private Working Set are shown by default in Vista and above, with the Commit Size and Working Set hidden. Thus, I didn't see them often, and apparently my eyes didn't pick up on the alignment issue.

So, thanks for the heads up!

edkiefer

I am not following what the issue is, are you just talking about the width sizing of those columns .
I set them up and have only had to rest the width few times over the course of version 5 and 6 . A few times they got reset to default but for most part stay as I set them .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on July 28, 2012, 11:41:52 AM
I am not following what the issue is, are you just talking about the width sizing of those columns .
I set them up and have only had to rest the width few times over the course of version 5 and 6 . A few times they got reset to default but for most part stay as I set them .

No, the justification (left/right). That is what confused me at first too. I messed them up a bit, as you can see in the 'gap' between the two memory metrics - the disparity should not exist, they should both be justified the same. When I moved some default column positions around, the justifications became a bit out of whack. It is not a major thing, but cosmetically unsound.

edkiefer

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 28, 2012, 11:46:02 AM
No, the justification (left/right). That is what confused me at first too. I messed them up a bit, as you can see in the 'gap' between the two memory metrics - the disparity should not exist, they should both be justified the same. When I moved some default column positions around, the justifications became a bit out of whack. It is not a major thing, but cosmetically unsound.
Ok, I see now .
Bitsum QA Engineer

edkiefer

yes, starts on right side now, memory commit size, memory working set, status, cpu%, cpu avg .
But user names, appication name ,rules,  priority class , cpu affinity start at left side, don't know how that compares with older builds .

I am assuming test build in this thread is same as other thread .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the fix on my quickie links. Anyone who downloaded the errant 64-bit build link I first posted would have gotten the last final, not the test build. EDIT: Test links now removed.

And, yea, same build. Only one uploaded today.

The justification is similar to what it was in version 5, the first few columns are left justified .. and the rest right justified. Need to just double check it (like I didn't do on the links I posted ;p).

edkiefer

only thing I forgot to mention is rules column moved to right a few columns .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Schedule and Summary:

1. Fix to justifications of text based columns (v6.0.0.63/64)
2. Adding mechanism to let user set justifications (v6.1 beta)
3. Storage and recall of column justifications (v6.1 beta)

v6.1 will actually be in beta pretty quick, and be safe for most end users to use - as the features I'm working on won't be something most will be using. Well, with the one exception of the new updater, but I won't put it into place until it has been well tested, being a separate project itself.

Again (since I'm about to delete prior comment), my initial statements about it being too much trouble were in reference to persisting the column settings even after new columns had been added (e.g. new major version). Still, I will consider this as well, as it is not that difficult - just more work for an already overwhelmed coder ;)

DAOWAce

Consistency issues look fixed now.. aside from the 'rules' tab. :s

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: DAOWAce on July 31, 2012, 08:54:42 PM
Consistency issues look fixed now.. aside from the 'rules' tab. :s

Thanks for the validation ;). I actually debated (with myself) on the Rules column and eventually decided it was best to leave as-is rather than revert to the previous justification. Is this something you can live with as well, and would agree with?